Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Spells for non-spellcasters

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5764 days, 9 hours, 9 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 at 06:01 (GMT -5)

Should you try to read spellbooks with non-spellcaster type characters? I'm currently playing an Orcish Assassin, and I made her read some spellbooks after she gained Literacy, but she doesn't seem very good at it. Even a blessed spellbook of Slow Monster has drained her Toughness, so I've left it behind until I've levelled up a bit and perhaps improved my stats. This seems a lot worse than my Dwarven Weaponsmiths (perhaps because they had Concentration?)

What stats are important for reading spellbooks (Learning and Mana?) How critical is the Concentration skill, and is it worth wishing for?

Apologies if these questions are silly, but all my previous characters were either magely, semi-magely (Healers, Paladins) or at least had Concentration. (Or they were Mindcrafters and never even attempted to read a spellbook.)
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3754 days, 12 hours, 17 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 at 07:22 (GMT -5)

Concentration and Literacy are extremely important. A character without at least 50 in either can forget about learning anything but the simplest spells (Light, Darkness, maybe Magic Missile). Learning the more difficult spells (such as acid ball, Teleport, or Identify) requires at least 90-100 if you don't want the book blowing up in your face.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7761 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

Drink potions of wonder and cast gained spell from spellbook. If your PC has a really high Lerning and willpower you can safe read spellbooks... Generally IMHO minimal safe level of Lerning should be equal or higher than cost of reading spell. Ofkorz literacy skill is on 100%

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/29/2002 at 04:39 (GMT -5) by BM]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 05:54 (GMT -5)

BM: "Learning should be equal or higher than cost of reading spell"? Do you mean that since Frost Bolt costs 12 pp, it can safely be read with a Learning of 12 or more, but since Identify costs 75 pp, it requires a Learning of 75? (It doesn't - at least my Dwarven Weaponsmith coped with it fine and his Learning wasn't anywhere near that high.)

Has anyone researched how well the different classes do at reading spellbooks, all other factors being equal? I've heard about people creating a maxed-out Grey Elven Mindcrafter (all stats 99, Concentration and Literacy at 100) who still couldn't read a spellbook of Light. Has something similar been done with other classes?
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7761 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

Not exacly... I say "should" not "must" wish cost about 3000 pp.... But if you aren't a caster you shouldn't read spellbooks High concetration and literacy skill increase your chance to learn spell. High luck and fate smile at you are helping to. High willpower is helping to. But if your pc have lerning 40-50 he can learn lots of spells. Rule Lerning = cost of spell is true when you have low Lerning 8-30

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7708 days, 43 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 10:46 (GMT -5)

If I am not mistaken (which is always a high probability in my existence!) the the ability for the different classes to learn spells goes in the following order, with the class that has the absolute worst chance to learn spells listed first and best chance listed last:
Mindcrafter
Barbarian
Beastfighter
Fighter
Archer
Weaponsmith
Ranger
Paladin
Thief
Assassin
Monk
Farmer
Merchant
Bard
Healer
Druid
Priest
Elementalist
Necromancer
Wizard
The chance to learn spells is also dependant on race and they seem to go in the following order (As above worst is first etc.):
Troll (Surprise!)
Dwarf
Hurthling
Orc
Human
Gnome
High Elf
Dark Elf
Gray Elf
Like I said, this is in no way guaranteed to be correct, it's just based on my observations...

You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/29/2002 at 10:46 (GMT -5) by SuperLobster]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 11:15 (GMT -5)

Thanks SuperLobster - so an Orcish Assassin should actually be better at learning spells than a Dwarven Weaponsmith, but the Assassin tends to be worse in actual play because of no Concentration skill? I'll be making Concentration my next wish after AoLS in future, then.

Where would you put Drakelings in your list of races?
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3115 days, 23 hours and 3 minutes ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

Between Humans and Orcs.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
SuperLobster
Registered user
The Mad Monk

Last page view:

7708 days, 43 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 12:56 (GMT -5)

Sorry, missed Drakelings... As Maelstrom said, they would go between Humans and Orcs, though they probably almost even with Humans...

You want to fight? Fight me! HAHAHA
Lazy Ragnarok
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 19:19 (GMT -5)

If you think about it, an assasin should have excellent concentration... I mean they have to be able to focus intently upon their goal while keeping quite. Strange.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: