Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How to avoid killing cats?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5764 days, 17 hours, 50 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 05:53 (GMT -5)

Those of you who go through the entire game without killing cats, how do you do it? I have tried, but I always seem to end up accidentally killing a cat in the heat of combat or while trying to lock it in a room.

Are you just VERY careful whenever a cat shows up, or do you "deal" with them permanently e.g. by taming them and having them attack something tough? Do you save potions of exchange for cats?
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6968 days, 5 hours, 53 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 05:59 (GMT -5)

My tactics for cats:
1) Run :)
2) Make a trap and lure the cat on it (fireball, acid, alarm, spear, corruption)
3) Swim away.
4) Exchange it :)
5) Kick it on Coward until it flees (sometimes works)

I think that's all, but if I think of sth else I'll post it here.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5764 days, 17 hours, 50 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 07:03 (GMT -5)

I've heard rumours that in version 1.1.1, if a monster is killed by a trap you created, then you get the blame. Alarm and corruption traps would still do the trick, though.

The problem with running from cats is that if you have to come back to that level, the cat will still be there, and there will still be a risk of killing it by accident.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7761 days, 13 hours, 12 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

Guinea NO don't kick, wild cats have only 1 hitpoints, it's easy to kill it.
Blind this cat and run away (flash trap or potions of blinding be carefull not to kill)
Teleport cat away or just teleport yourself
Confuse a cat (use a vcetriloquism skill, potions of confusing, mental powers of mindcrafter) Stun they with stun ray spell.
Stay betwen cat and monster who had breathing atack.
Read scroll of familiar summoning. Or just run away and looks some nonhostile monster and stay a close with him, sometimes cat and this monster will be fighting
Cast calm monster spell or Slow Monster
Trap cat in webs (spiders or webing spell/wands are very usefull)
Give rats corpse for wild cat and fresh meat to tigers and lions (raw meat works to but fresh is more handy. If you have raw meat just cook it)
Play on instrument if you have Music skill it's works great with cats
And it's not at all...
P.S. I hate cats in ADOM, in real I love them

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 5 times, last edit on 1/23/2003 at 08:47 (GMT -5) by BM]
BM (netszkapa sux)
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 10:37 (GMT -5)

More about cats
Never cast area spells if you can't see frontiers of your atack. Use Farsight spell. Burnning hands is the best friend.
If you on the first floor of dungeon and there are cat lure it into stairs and calm. And just get out from dungeon with this cat. In wildernes you just see nice mesage that cat disappear. (You can clear from cats in that way all dungeon. Once I do it. I clear 4 floors from cats in wilage dungeon when I make my precrowning. It's cost lots of time but working. Rest of dungeon was corrupted by cats)
Always keep pickaxe in your backpack. Nothing is more frustrating than traped in corridor betwen cats. (Once my monk was traped like that, but I have a great luck he was 15 or 16 level I kicked by the wals and run away). Wands of digging and Mistic shovel spell is nice.
Cast invisibility spell on yourself and run away (potions or items of invisibility are very helpfull)
If you have any idea just wait, wait and wait sometimes cats change from hostile to nonhostile and you can switch position and run away.
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6968 days, 5 hours, 53 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

confuse a cat... LOL they made sth like that in Monty Python

But you can kick the lions or tigers... OK, that's not the best of my ideas, I made it up when I used wand of monster creation in the Pyramid and kicked the rat that appeared to critical, he panicked and discovered a few traps :).

Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7761 days, 13 hours, 12 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

Better is scare monster spell. It made wonders in Minotaur Maze

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: