Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Speed Record

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7315 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 at 12:03 (GMT -5)

Has anyone broken my old speed record yet?? I think it was 2012 speed? bah...time to look through the archives.

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5635 days, 17 hours, 33 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 at 03:45 (GMT -5)

Wow, that's a lot:) How many wishes did you spend on speed?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7315 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2003 at 18:23 (GMT -5)

none...I just spent a long time in the quickling tree. found out a couple tricks. using bows and arrows in general producers corpses more often. plus get lucky and fate smiles. also, having a bow of hunting is nice. plus food preservation at 100

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
TBD
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

Impressive. Very impressive. I've only got char speed to some 600+ (before getting bored that is). Then again, I didn't visit the quickling tree, only hunted quicklings in the wilderness. I wonder what is the absolute maximum for speed. If speed is coded as a 16-bit unsigned the maximum would be 65535 (what might happen if one drank a potion of speed then, speed of some 0-2 ?). OTOH if speed is coded as a 32-bit unsigned the maximum would be over 4 billion.

BTW I made some quick calculations concerning speed. If speed is linear (i.e. double reading means twice as fast) and 100 is about a normal human speed (say, 3 m/s running speed) a 32-bit top value would mean more than 400 times the speed of light (IIRC the speed of light is some 300000 m/s). Scary, huh ? Even with a 16-bit reading the top speed would be some Mach 7...
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3727 days, 7 hours, 23 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

LOL... I wonder how relativity figures into ADOM?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6264 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 at 12:25 (GMT -5)

Hehe! Fastest I've been is 2000 something! Damn Fast!

Kurupt #2
Registered user

Last page view:

7075 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2003 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

Just to inform you, the speed of light in m/s is somewhere around 299,820,787 metres per second(about 186,300 miles per second), and assuming you were using that figure of 300,000 metres per second, then that figure is the actual speed of light divided by just under 1000. Taking your figures and using this, my calculator informs me the max speed would be about 0.4 times the speed of light, which is still scary, but not quite as scary as that figure... I just needed to comment on that.

Let this account be a lesson to you all - Remember your password!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 at 09:43 (GMT -5)

It's still very scary :) At that speed, time ought to be going backwards, allowing the character to finish in less than zero days. Not that it should be possible to get to that speed, at least if you started out below the speed of light....

Excuse me. I've been doing too much physics homework lately...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Ppear
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 at 15:32 (GMT -5)

Is that Biskup?
Portrait
Anarchy
Registered user
yAwN

Last page view:

4868 days, 21 hours, 18 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2003 at 22:33 (GMT -5)

Are you Prickled Pear?

Boredom ceases bladder.
Descent
Registered user

Last page view:

4846 days, 14 hours, 52 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

I beat the record in gamma 15.
My speed was 5000+.
I used rings of ginni summoning.
I'm interested in the speed of ligth so I'm gonna try it.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 at 07:28 (GMT -5)

I remember using an earlier version to duplicate potions of speed repeatedly, and then drinking them all. I forget exactly what speed value I got, but it eventually cycled back to zero after maybe thirty thousand points.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3088 days, 18 hours, 8 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 at 09:17 (GMT -5)

Just checked, what the manual says on "speed" - your actual speed doesn't increase over 1000 (ten times as fast as usual). It says: "All Player Characters start with a basic speed rating of 100
which basically means that they can act once every 10 segments" and "The only limit is that
you can act only once per segment (even speed scores of 2000+ can't help in this respect(...)"
So, the speed record is just a number, you can't get faster then 1000 anyway.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7156 days, 5 hours, 52 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 at 09:57 (GMT -5)

and *I* thought that AWGB says the following: "As a quickling, he [Filk] is obviously fast, but Filk is the fastest of them all with a speed of 1500"
does that mean he has speed of 1000, eh?

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 04, 2003 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

Quite possibly.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7504 days, 7 hours, 24 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 at 00:15 (GMT -5)

Well, the speed value starts from the beginning after about 32000...the value is 2 byte and the limit for them is around 33k, so it just starts all over again. Extremely frustrating in some games, like MOO2 when your income goes negative!

Not that great deal for adom though.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5635 days, 17 hours, 33 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 at 06:10 (GMT -5)

What about if your actions take more than 1000 energy points? Would higher speed scores help there? For example: stiff muscles corruption(movement) and many special class abilities(like barbarian's tremendous blows and all). So if you'd do an action of 4000 points with 2000 speed you'd be as fast as someone doing a 500 point action with speed 250: once every two time segments?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/5/2003 at 06:12 (GMT -5) by J.]
C-faakee
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 at 12:18 (GMT -5)

Get adom v 1.0 and make back-ups of the tmp files once you get potions of speed or wishing items, or use a tome of adomf.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2003 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

J. - your right. The 1000 speed=once every segment is just for 1000 energy points per move. For less points per move (like a True Berserker lvl 50 Barbarian, who has his base energy/action at 750) you need less speed, for more (like the mentioned corruption - don't we all have that one?) you need move speed.
The max speed (one act/per segment) for each action is equal to the numer of energy you need to do it. If you need 425 energy to move (the max you can get, it can't get lower then that, at least from my observations) then a speed score of 425 gets you to the speed limit.

A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/5/2003 at 12:37 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
Anarchy
Registered user
yAwN

Last page view:

4868 days, 21 hours, 18 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 00:16 (GMT -5)

Woah.I'm getting confused.Err..

Boredom ceases bladder.
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7504 days, 7 hours, 24 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 03:19 (GMT -5)

I'm still following... the funny thing about the speed thing is, that I could not find the address from the game to it. It must have some weird multipliers or something to it, but I just couldn't find it.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2003 at 08:40 (GMT -5)

OK - to make things clear.
Each action you take costs energy. Your basic move is 1000 energy, but some class abilities, like the barbarian blows cost more (like 3500).
"Speed" is the number of energy you can gather each turn. So, with a speed of 100, it takes 10 turns (segments) to gather 1000 energy, and move 1 square. You can't make an action more than once each turn.
To learn how much energy an action will cost, press ":t" (that will display the energy cost of your last action).
So - to act in every turn you usually need 1000 speed. That can be lowered by items(seven league boots) , talents (long stride), weapon skils (the more you have, the less energy it costs to attack) and class abilities (monk's, barbarian's etc.) or highered by corruptions (the dreaded "stiff muscles").
Hope that's clear enough :D

A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/6/2003 at 08:43 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Stratch one
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

My speed record is 8396! ME RULEZ!
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 09:53 (GMT -5)

Some grave digging..

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: