Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Door trick

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7343 days, 23 hours, 22 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 at 17:30 (GMT -5)

I've noticed that this has never been posted. If you kick a locked door, it might do 4 things:

1) it will release a trap
2) it will break
3) it will say that it doesn't budge, which means that is is not trapped
4) it will say that it doesn't budge at all, which means it is trapped

just a little FYI for ya

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Portrait
Damon
Registered user

Last page view:

7735 days, 11 hours and 20 minutes ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2001 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

I hate it when the doors are trapped, but this hint of yours about the door not budging at all is something I've experienced for a long time but never actaully noticed, well done!
My monk however even on coward will still hack it down in one kick so not much use to me.

Portrait
Schnitzelnator
Registered user

Last page view:

8176 days, 5 hours, 13 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 07, 2001 at 05:45 (GMT -5)

Cool...I never noticed that either. Thanks! :)

m00.
Portrait
Kyp Durron
Registered user

Last page view:

8330 days, 2 hours, 46 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2001 at 08:01 (GMT -5)

Good tips, and nice picture Schnitzelnator - it looks like some kind of dreadnaught of an orcish nature.

Kyp Durron
Thoth
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 at 22:54 (GMT -5)

HEY EVERYBODY... KICK DOORS DIAGONALLY IF YOU CAN. That way, if a block drops or a door falls, you wont be in front of the door. COOL!!!
MangaFox
Registered user

Last page view:

7598 days, 4 hours, 10 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 at 06:14 (GMT -5)

And the fireball trap won't do as much damage. (You partially evade the explosion)

Bug-lover since 1.0.0
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6968 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 at 06:27 (GMT -5)

You can always destroy the door with huge rock, anvil or a statue.

Portrait
Ragnarok
Registered user
Cat

Last page view:

7929 days, 16 hours, 8 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

But those are so heavy...

BTW, can you dig through a concealed door with a pickaxe?
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

9 hours, 20 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 at 17:24 (GMT -5)

I don't think so... You can dig around any door though, can be usefull if you know there is a trap there and don't have any keys or "knockers" available :)

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/26/2002 at 17:24 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Portrait
Ragnarok
Registered user
Cat

Last page view:

7929 days, 16 hours, 8 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 26, 2002 at 19:45 (GMT -5)

Anyone know what kind of message you would get if you tried to dig through a door that you didn't know was there? Seems to me like a pickaxe would cleave through the door easily, if it can knock down stone.
Gordisimo
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 27, 2002 at 12:23 (GMT -5)

It would. If you dig a concealed door, wood (not stone) will fall on the ground
¨Descent
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 at 05:44 (GMT -5)

Try to find more tips couse I rally need them.
Lurker
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 at 14:21 (GMT -5)

I dunno if this is common knowledge but I just found out you can find secret doors by casting bolt spells... Cast a bolt spell that bounces off the walls(magic missile for example) and if the bolt hits a wall that is really a secret door it won't bounce, it'll just create the message of the bolt fizzles and disappears it usually does when shot at a door. Sorry, that's bad english, hope you guys understand my point...
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

Secret doors?

... has anyone posted this?

Anyway, if you kick the wall it will say something like "You hurt your foot kicking the wall". But if it's a secret door it says, "You really hurt your foot", etc. Useful for chars with low perception.

Note, it doesn't work if you're in a vault or special location. All the walls there give the "you really"... message.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6968 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 at 09:53 (GMT -5)

Bouncing spells: just be careful - if there isn't a secret door you can electrocute yourself with the lighting bolt :). That's not a safe way of finding the way.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 20, 2002 at 17:31 (GMT -5)

IF you know your spell range, you can bounce one diagnoally, so you won't hit yourself. But you'll still deplete your PP, so if you're a spellcaster and there's a tension room behind that hidden door, watch out.

I personally like kicking everything in sight. :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lurker
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 11:35 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the kicking tip, now I'll have a way of not starving my low-level melee chars on searching for secret doors for ages...
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 14 hours, 21 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 20:18 (GMT -5)

hehe... I've starved to death despite that method, or forgotten that sometimes kicking takes 1 HP away and died of a broken leg... trust me, all ADOM characters have a death wish.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7184 days, 12 hours, 50 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 07:11 (GMT -5)

and another thing - if you kick the door and it appears to be trapped, step aside and kick diagonally, so ye'll be safe from falling doors

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Lurker
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

BTW, just noticed, the kicking messages are different for monks, normal walls give the message "you practice your kata" and secret doors say "the wall doesn't seem to be impressed". Occasionally you also kick through the secret door without finding it first. Anyone know if this is only for monks?

Oh and of course only untill your monk is lvl 13 when he starts kicking down the walls.
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7343 days, 23 hours, 22 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2003 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

No lurker...I just took a trollish healer and kicked what I figured was a secret door...it just disappeared.

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Gebnar
Registered user

Last page view:

7664 days, 2 hours, 14 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 03:12 (GMT -5)

What's all this with kicking doors? Keys are relatively common (All my characters end up with every key by lvl 3-4). If you bless them you will NEVER have to worry about trapped doors again - as long as you stand diagonally when opening.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 31 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

What chars are you playing? Aren't you exaggarating just a little bit lvl 3-4 is quite a low level? Where do you find your keys?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7532 days, 14 hours, 22 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

I don't use keys for some reason. I know they are pretty good, but still I don't use them. Not much trouble of kicking doors down, jsut remember to do it diagonally.
And of course monks. If I can't open a door normally, I just kick the nex wall section down, or mine through it if I have a pick axe.
Remember that Mindcrafters can use their powers to destroy doors as well.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Gebnar
Registered user

Last page view:

7664 days, 2 hours, 14 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 at 16:40 (GMT -5)

I'm serious about those keys. I almost always start in the SMC. Then I descend through the UD. By the time I am halfway down (and to lvl 3-4) I usually have all but 2 of the keys. The UD seems pretty good at generating that kind of stuff. I almost always get several pools and shops as well. UD probably is my favorite place in the game because all that good stuff and no background corruption! (or maybe the big herb room in CoC)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2003 at 16:22 (GMT -5)

Do you play certain race/class combos more often than others? Just like to know if some classes get more keys than others... I myself do all the terinyo quests before the UD so I don't usually have many keys in the early game.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Louis
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 10:51 (GMT -5)

I really want to smith but i can't find the forge!Where is the forge?I've heard that its in the caverns of chaos but where is that?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 13:41 (GMT -5)

Could you please next time start a new topic for a totally different discussion?

Still I'm a nice person so I'll answer your question. Forges can be generated randomly in all dungeons except the infinite dungeon (the one with levels changing all the time). In addition there are two guaranteed levels with forges. The other one is in the caverns of chaos lvl 9-11(dwarftown). The other one is in the darkforge, second level of a cave in the middle south part of the map.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/4/2003 at 13:41 (GMT -5) by J.]
Louis
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 at 17:15 (GMT -5)

Sorry bout that but cheers
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7042 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 11, 2003 at 01:08 (GMT -5)

Back to doors... I almost always do the quest for Jharrod second (puppy first, or puppy corpse, more like it). The main reason for that is to get the stethescope quickly, because it seems to save me a LOT of time looking for secret doors.

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: