Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Casting Wish

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

loser
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 20:44 (GMT -5)

i recently got the wish spell with about 300 knowledge points from the class power of bard(lvl 18 i think). However, i cannot cast it at all because it costs 3000 pp... that is impossible... my pp now is 600+, hp 500+, but i think i will still instadeath if i try to cast it, does anyone have anyone experience in this scenario?
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2003 at 23:49 (GMT -5)

I'll comment on something.

Casting wish, well, gives you a wish (obviously). HOWEVER, if reduces a random stat of yours by 10 points. THAT in itself is a HUGE loss. You may want to think twice before casting it.

Also, if you do decide to cast it, then cast it on silver/dark night, depending on your alignment. From what I remember, it halves the spell cost of your spells.

Still planning on casting it?
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5654 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 04:28 (GMT -5)

I think you would die from casting it since you can only afford a cost of 1600pp with your current stats.

You could scum the BDC for potions of ultra healing (to raise your hp) and wands (with the mana battery corruption to raise pp) but that'd be quite pointless since after scumming for a while you'd probably get some wands of wishing too.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
loser
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

sorry... wats the BDC?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2003 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

The blue dragon caves deep in the caverns of chaos. You might not be that far yet...

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

I agree with J. If you want a wish granted, then your better off to the BDC, or just anywhere with lots of monsters to fight with. With any decent luck, you'll get items that will grant your wishes.

Personally, I really hate the -10 stats drain.

Would you CAST wish? (-10pts random stat)
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
Anarchy
Registered user
yAwN

Last page view:

4888 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 03:20 (GMT -5)

I didn't know casting spells could be so harmful to your char...especially that stats drain thingy.

Boredom ceases bladder.

Am I stupid? (preferably YES)
Yes  No
Check results

Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 06:35 (GMT -5)

To Anarchy:
Actually, spells are not that bad. From what I know, none can give you negative effects aside from the WISH spell. Of course, your hp will be taken if you dont have enough pp to cast a particular spell, but that's general knowledge.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5756 days, 9 hours and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 06:54 (GMT -5)

And in the latest version, overcasting spells from HP abuses your Mana. It used to be that it would train it - so in a difficult situation, you could frantically cast Heal at yourself off of your HP.
Portrait
Wheyon
Registered user

Last page view:

7558 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

no wonder my mana has been waning!
My favourite piece of graffitti I ever was on a bathroom stall: "People who write here are FAAGS!"
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1645 days, 17 hours, 14 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

That new little addon makes me VERY iffy with a spellcaster.

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

I don't play spellcasters so I wouldn't know, but is the decrease in mana immediate when you cast spells from your hp or does it sort of give it negative training so that it goes down when the game checks your stat increases next time?(OMG that's an ugly long sentence!)

Just began wondering, because if you would cast wish you probably wouldn't have the 3000pp and you'd probably need many hundred hp to fuel your casting so in addition to the automatic -10 stat drain you'd get a pretty hefty mana reduction I guess... (I'm quite good with these one-sentece paragraphs now aren't I. God damnit I should learn to write this second native language better)

Portrait
Wheyon
Registered user

Last page view:

7558 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 20:32 (GMT -5)

Its not immediate. but it does begin to decrease very quickly. I dont imagine you would lose more than one or two mana points from it.
My favourite piece of graffitti I ever was on a bathroom stall: "People who write here are FAAGS!"
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 02:51 (GMT -5)

Does the mana really decrease from the draining of the HP thing? I got to the MT, and my mana was sucked dry, but I kept on using Magic Missiles as an offensive bolt spell to avoid item destruction. So my HP was slowly drained (but I had preserver and BoW on, so double regeneration!)

And after all that fighting, and as the game went on, I didn't experience a stat decrease in mana. Why is that?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

I don't know how the system works but you were a high level char and magic missile is quite a low-end spell so maybe the game wasn't so harsh towards you.

buttnugget
Registered user

Last page view:

7620 days, 17 hours, 41 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 20:37 (GMT -5)

what do you mean about PoUH raising your hitpoints? will it raise it above your normal max permenantly or temporarily or what?
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 02:29 (GMT -5)

I think it's not only PoUH, but PoEH and PoH too. If you drink them while your HP is at max, then your HP will rise by a few points. And it's permanent
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 09:10 (GMT -5)

Oh yeah extra healing works also but I think basic potions of healing don't.

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5604 days, 10 hours, 22 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 at 03:47 (GMT -5)

J. :Actually basic potions of healing DO work, I can tell from experience. At least they did in 1.0.0. They rarely raise your max HP, though, and it may be that only blessed ones work.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7410 days, 12 hours, 4 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

Only blessed ones work, and only blessed ones should be used for that anyways.

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 at 10:39 (GMT -5)

Ooh, that's great! Thanks! Now I probably should go and change my nick :P

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7427 days, 4 hours, 43 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 at 05:23 (GMT -5)

Has anyone tried casting Wish w/ AoLS equipped? Shouldn't it save yer life? I personally was annoyed when got the Wish spell when playing a bard. As bad as 3000 points of Darkness...

Icesus
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 at 05:39 (GMT -5)

An aols probably would keep you alive but they don't grow on trees and still there's a -10 stat drain included. I myself would prefer zapping a wand or rubbing a ring to get a wish.

Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7523 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 at 06:38 (GMT -5)

If you have AoLS equipped while casting Wish, and don't have enough spell points and you still cast it, if your hp goes to negative, AoLS will save you and get destroyed, but the spell will be cancelled too. So it would only waste an AoLS for nothing.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3746 days, 12 hours, 9 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2003 at 08:00 (GMT -5)

Re: Mana drain...

I like spellcasters, and I'm also very good at making stupid mistakes that get me into tight situations. Consequently, in the early game I have to cast from HP quite often. I've never lost more than two Mana points, even after repeatedly and desperately casting from HP, praying for healing, and casting again.

It's not something you want to do repeatedly, but it's not such a last-resort option that you shouldn't consider it at all, especially in those early-game tight spots. You'll gain the mana points back, and in the early game, with levels coming so fast, you'll probably be back to normal within one or two levels.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: