Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Weird Tome

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 15:20 (GMT -5)

Just want to know a few details...

Before going in the Library, I have to be mute right? So a harpy corpse will do that. But how long does one have to stay in the library to avail of the weird tome?

Also, as of v.1.1.1, will the Librarian follow me outside after I spent enough turns in the library mute? or should I "trick" him into it (by ordering a companion to attack it)

Thanks!!
Portrait
Gordismo
Registered user
False God

Last page view:

7463 days, 6 hours, 2 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2003 at 23:51 (GMT -5)

In the recent versions, that's not needed. You can just go in, kill, read some stuff, then talk to the libarian and get the tome. That's how I always got it, and my wizard cast some spells while in the libary and still got the tome. Though occasionly, it doesn't work.

"The past is a ghost that haunts you from the moment it exists until the moment you don't"
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 01:32 (GMT -5)

So you mean to say that I don't have to be mute (from eating a harpy corpse) just to get it? Because the only way to remove the "mute" intrinsic is to pray, right? So that saves me from praying.

Can anyone confirm this?
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5759 days, 1 hour, 50 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 04:08 (GMT -5)

Yes, in version 1.1.1 there is no need to be mute. What I do is to go through the library, killing all the monsters and picking up all the stuff, then have a long spellbook-reading session. After that, I talk to the librarian and he gives me the weird tome. So far, this has only failed when the librarian has disappeared (probably killed by a nasty monster). I once got the weird tome this way in version 1.0.0 too.

BTW, the "mute" intrinsic wears off eventually.
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 06:39 (GMT -5)

Ok, thanks! Now I'm finishing off the monsters in the library and collecting the spellbooks. Now regarding the Weird Tome, aside from giving it to the MM, is there any use for it? Has anyone gotten leads on the secrets of the Weird Tome, or the strange message related to the SoO?
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 15 hours, 9 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

Bards with great learning, concentration and literacy can read it furthest but no char can read it completely. I think the results are in the guidebook so you might want to check that.

I'd also like to point out that in the world of adom there is no SoO nor is there a volcano or any other inn besides the green griffin.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 02:42 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I read the guidebook already. But I can't help but wonder if there's something that can be done to unlock the secrets of the tome. Maybe instead of giving it to the MM, there's someone out there that can read/decode the tome for the PC?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 09:03 (GMT -5)

If you have the book you can go ahead and try anything you come to think of. If you find anything please tell us :)

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 02:14 (GMT -5)

We'll just see... I have it for now, but I won't give it to the MM yet. First I'll close the gate, raise my stats a bit, then see who I can offer it to...
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 03:16 (GMT -5)

Well, so far Filk won't accept it. But I did find something strange.

When you give the WT to the MM while he's hostile he "burshes aside the WT"

And when you talk with the MM while hostile he says "Hast ye seen the man with the harmonica? I need him now and here!"

So who is the man that he refers to? And while hanging around at the MM's place, I noticed that he occasionally drops corpses and generates the message "The Mad Minstrel chuckles and then drops a -foo- corpse on the ground"

Any ideas?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

The man with the harmonica could be Filk 'cause he's a bard. Or it could be MM's other personality(he's mad you know).

Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 at 10:46 (GMT -5)

Maybe there's another musician in the game? Talking to Filk didn't help me, he just kept on saying "Kill the MM and you will have one very happy quickling for sure."

And what's with the corpses that he keeps on dropping? Makes me think that MM has an evil past, a past related to the SoO... (I think I'm obsessed with the SoO...)
buttnugget
Registered user

Last page view:

7623 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

i've wished for harmonica before, no help. i've equipped the WT and beat hte mad minstrel with it, again, no help.
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 06:02 (GMT -5)

I don't think beating the MM with any kind of thing would help... he'll just become hostile. :)

Until now, I still have the WT with me. I don't want to give it to him yet...hoping that someone might know what we can do with the WT.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: