Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Si uses

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 03:31 (GMT -5)

Has anyone found the actual use of the SI?
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7414 days, 1 hour, 41 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

Actual use? Does it have an actual use? It has many good uses like selling and sacrificing. Even wielding.

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 11 hours and 57 minutes ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

Any use you can think of is a good use. You have an infinite amount of them so you can do what you want with them and it's all good...
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

What do you mean by "you can do what you want with them and it's all good..."?

I sell it and sacrifice it, but i don't weild it cause I can sacrifice on altars properly...

What I meant was if there was any SPECIAL use for it, like holy water on Griff's grave, or potion of uselessness on D:49. Any ideas?
Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7527 days, 1 hour, 47 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 15:30 (GMT -5)

I don't quite follow you with the holy water part... the other objects are almost useless, and I wonder why you took Holy water there as an example too. Hwater is one of the most usefull items in the game. I know about its special with the grave, but still...

Si is good for selling, saccing or to be thrown in the ice level.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
ArcticWolf
Registered user
Karmic Popsicle

Last page view:

7414 days, 1 hour, 41 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 at 16:38 (GMT -5)

No special uses. It is a McGyver tool. It blocks antholes too, doesn't it?

Imagine a carmic popsicle -
First it is red and tastes like strawberry. Then it turns blue and tastes like blueberry. And if someone takes it from ye, he or she gets cursed and doomed.
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 at 02:38 (GMT -5)

Does it block antholes?

To Warlord:
I know that Holy Water is useful, but I was just citing an example of a "SPECIAL USE" for the HW. I was wondering if the SI has also some kind of special use, something in line with the use of HW on Griff's grave.

Hope you get my point...
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2003 at 09:15 (GMT -5)

I don't think it blocks antholes. Would be great though 'cause artifacts don't break. Huge rocks (the ones weighing in at 1000s) block antholes for a while but then the ants break them.

Si's are good for hitting jellies if you don't have other artifacts or stone clubs/spears/axes.

Oh and I meant that you have an infinite amount of them so you can do whatever you want with them. You'll always have more for other uses.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 at 10:39 (GMT -5)

I wanted to comment on the "infinite amount of them". I just thought that if you had a lot of them, maybe you should place them in strategic places? (I got that idea from the previous threads)

I was thinking that since the SI is always found on traps, then maybe it was meant to be placed on all the traps generated throughout the game? Then maybe you would get a "hidden" artifact, a tool of some sort?

And I think that you might get this at L:50, like getting the platinum girdle?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/23/2003 at 10:41 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 12 hours, 31 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 at 12:09 (GMT -5)

No way that would work - not with random traps, the Infinite dungeon and wands of trap creation. Just too complicated too add this to the game code.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 at 22:18 (GMT -5)

Maybe the traps found on the Elemental temples, since they are guaranteed traps?

Well, if not on traps, maybe other strategic places...any you can think of?
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 16:02 (GMT -5)

So what do you think of this idea? How about some other ideas...?
Portrait
Wheyon
Registered user

Last page view:

7562 days, 51 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 19:34 (GMT -5)

I think the answer is in the history of the si. Where did it come from, why is it a guarunteed artifact? It's use will be easy to figure out if it's purpose (or should i say history) is discovered.
My favourite piece of graffitti I ever was on a bathroom stall: "People who write here are FAAGS!"
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 03:09 (GMT -5)

So where should I dig to find out more about its past?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

When TB was doing some pen&paper RPG long time ago one a si mystically appeared into one of his character's inventory. He didn't know why it got there and what it was. So he got an idea to put it into his game.

That's about it someone correct my mistakes... Can't remember where I read that from, probably www.adom.de or something...

Portrait
Warlord
Registered user
Wanderer of the Wastes

Last page view:

7527 days, 1 hour, 47 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

Yeah, that's how it went. Then after a while another 'si' appeared in the inventory... prolly just some dirt on the paper that looked like letters SI, so there the cloning.

- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 11:26 (GMT -5)

So there might be no real "hidden" use for the SI? The fact that it reproduces indefinitely makes me think that there might be something to it...

Anyway, I'm almost through the game...at level 50 now. I mostly go for the normal ending because it's hard to get the medal of chaos. (It's hard to change from lawful to chaotic and back to lawful)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 13:02 (GMT -5)

It's much much easier getting neutral... You could do UNE. Unless you're crowned already that is.

Oh and I myself have never gotten to think of any hidden use for the si. I've always thought there is none. For me it's just special because it breeds.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/29/2003 at 13:03 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6315 days, 7 hours, 41 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2003 at 18:14 (GMT -5)

Si has a use. It's great for killing karmic creatures if you don't happen to own a bow.

EDIT: Or actually, it's great for killing karmic creatures if you don't happen to own a bow and have thrown everything else at the mob already. :o)

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/29/2003 at 18:15 (GMT -5) by Crimson King]
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

I just had to bring this thread up again to answer a question that has already been answered in this thread. I'm just that annoying and a big nitpick. I'd just like to clarify things up a bit. Where has the si come from? Let me quote a file called readme.1st section V.F(comes with the game you know, and the name implies something I think):

V.F. What's a 'si'?
===================

No comment on the details. But it rhymes with "see" when pronounced.

If you are interested in how it got into the game, here we go:
Quite a number of years ago (that must have been around 1985 or so)
I played a lot of AD&D with a friend. We had two characters,
dwarven fighter/thieves of LN alignment named Gorko Galgenstrick and
Groron Garman respectively, who lived through many many adventures.
One day my friend looked at the character sheet of his character,
Groron Garman, and discovered garbled writing in his list of normal
items stating that he owned a "Si". We had no idea what that could
be and how it got there and we were pretty puzzled but left it that way,
making occasional comments about Groron's mighty artifact, the Si.
Months later my friend again was revising the list of normal items
his character lugged around and noticed the word "Si" in a second
place on the equipment list. Now we were really puzzled and declared
this item to be an artifact with unknown powers. The 'Si' in ADOM
is just a kind of insider joke on my behalf to celebrate those great
old days :-)

If you somehow have lost your readme.1st file that comes with the game, here's a link : http://www.adom.de/adom/readme1st.php3

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/22/2003 at 17:57 (GMT -5) by J.]
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2003 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

So all of you are actually convinced that the SI is just made for "the good old times" sake? I am not thoroughly convinced myself...

Do you think that the SI has no secret purpose for the game?
Yes  No
Check results

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2003 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

From what I know, there is no proof whatsoever and perhaps more importantly not the tiniest indication of any kind that there would be a secret use in the game. Although I think I've made it pretty clear already I vote yes, it has no secret purpose:)

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3750 days, 1 hour, 46 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2003 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

Re: Blocking ant holes

A companion will block an ant hole if told to stay in that spot. Great for farmers hoping to survive the Puppy Cave.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2003 at 06:49 (GMT -5)

Well, if you say so...But I really hoped that it has one, makes the game more mysterious than ever.... :)

So far, 7 yes and 2 no votes.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: