Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / spell memory question

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

DIablo02
Registered user

Last page view:

7621 days, 15 hours, 17 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2003 at 17:22 (GMT -5)

this spell memory thing has been scaring me into being afraid to cast any spells, cuz they'd just go away if i cast it too often. It sux. so anyway, is a spellcaster better than a frontline fighter or barbarian? me, i love being able to cast spells but this memory crap keeps me from doing it

The motto for my troll: See it, Smell it, Eat it!

are you afraid of spell memory
Yes  No
Check results

Ratto
Registered user
MaGiC aNd PoWeR

Last page view:

7430 days, 11 hours, 25 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 at 07:55 (GMT -5)

If you have a lot of learning, like 25 or 30, when you read totally a book, you have ~1000 spell memory, that is a lot, and if you play a wizard you can find a looooot of book, spell memory is not a problem, try a decent learned wizard and have fun

DaRk ElF PoWeR
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 16 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 at 15:37 (GMT -5)

Also, when you play a spellcaster, you still should train your weapon/missile skills. Especially in the early game you won't have enough castings to blast everything with spells, and if you were to meet a monster immune to your spells you'd be very screwed if your char didn't know which end of an axe to swing at monsters.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6664 days, 17 hours, 27 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2003 at 17:01 (GMT -5)

*Question* Which end of the axe DO you swing at the monster? I'm usually a swordsman... lol

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

The sharp one.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
diablo2
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 at 13:10 (GMT -5)

so just how long would ~1000 last?
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

depends on the spell. I never really run out of any spell except offensive spells, and maybe teleport.

If its a bolt spell, 1000 will last you hundreds of castings. If I got say fire bolt up to one hundred, I wouldnt really be that worried about using it up because I imagine I would come across another spellbook of it before I ran out.
Or maybe a frost bolt, or acid bolt, or whatever. Just try to distribute your reserve of the spells even, so that you dont use any one offensive spell up. Cuz you will want frost bolt in the ToEF, so don't use it all up hunting red dragons outside.
Use your spells wisely and conservatively, and you will be fine.

bz
diablo2
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 at 22:52 (GMT -5)

thx everyone but does biz mean that if ur a wizard or spellcaster (not including book starsign) you find more spellbooks?

do you guys think that when u start out with 2-3 spellbooks u should read them up or save them or whatever?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/9/2003 at 22:53 (GMT -5) by its author]
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2003 at 23:51 (GMT -5)

What you do depends on what would offer the most utility to you. For example, starting the game with learning at 14, you have a spellbook of fire bolt. You are the smartest creature, yet you will encounter monsters that will certainly kill you without that spell.

So read until you understand it. Maybe you will get 100. That will at least last you through a couple cages. And when it runs out, read from the book again. Maybe your learning will be up a bit by then.

But if you are starting a spellcaster and are lucky enough to get an offensive spell book, definitely read it until you learn from it at least once. And remember that you will be better off reading the book until it disappears than losing it to a breath from a fire lizard.

Oh, and try a priest if youre playing 1.1.1. They get crazy amounts of spellbooks.

bz
DIablo02
Registered user

Last page view:

7621 days, 15 hours, 17 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 at 00:53 (GMT -5)

nah i dont really like the clerical spells you start out with cause all i usually get is "farsight" or some other stupid spell thats nonoffensive. some of u might like those kinds but not me...

so DO i read it until it disappears or what? personally im reading them out because it just has tooooo much weight for each book! ok i have a troll wizard with learning ~14 and troll healer with learning ~21 (!) !!! love them trolls!!!

The motto for my troll: See it, Smell it, Eat it!
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5765 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 at 04:13 (GMT -5)

With wizards and other magely types, I'll read each spellbook once when I find it, then leave it until I've gained a few levels and got Concentration and Literacy up to 100 (or at least as high as they'll easily go). Then once those skills are maxed out, I'll read spellbooks until they disappear.

With fighter types (and I'd say a trollish healer is a fighter type) I won't touch spellbooks until Concentration and Literacy are both at 100.

Leave your spellbooks somewhere safe like the Old Barbarian's glade if you're not ready to read them yet.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 at 05:13 (GMT -5)

You get more castings out of one reading if your spell memory is low, so to max out the number of castings you get from one book always read it once and only read it again when you're running out of castings for the spell instead of reading the book several times in one go.

Of course, the downside is that you might lose the book one way or the other before you get to read it again so its your choice.

Just remember: every chance is a fifty-sixty possibility. (no ei se nyt varmaan ihan noin käänny englanniks mutta jotain sinne päin kuiteskin. Ja Matti-siideriä ei saa enää myydä WTF?)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/10/2003 at 05:16 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 14 hours, 6 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 at 09:59 (GMT -5)

I read my books once, then keep 'em in a cache someplace or other (Dwarven village, HMV, or, early on, holeinthewall), except for one offensive spellbook, which I keep with me just in case. My weak little hurthlings can't carry that much, anyways...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Derek B Rackham Esq
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 24, 2004 at 01:54 (GMT -5)

For spell casters I find that once you gain the good book caster and great book caster talents, along with a spell book of strength of atlas, the spell memory is easily negated (esp with a wizards reduced casting cost character abilities, gained as your character reaches certain level milestones). Once you have these things you can carry every book you could find, and cast from books rather than memory, whilst not running out of pp. The downside to this is that spell effectivity is not increased with castings. I usually read a book once, cast the spell from memory as needed until the spell is forgotten, read the book again to relearn it and then cast from the book (repeating the processes once or twice more if I am confident the books will not "suddenly disappear", does anyone know if blessed status will allow more readings???) This way you can improve the spells effectivity somewhat and have limitliss castings (subject to pp potential). To make sure your spell books are not destroyed by a fire ball or water (as these are common traps), simply carry a blessed fire proof and water proof blanket. I love and hate this game at the same time....

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/24/2004 at 01:55 (GMT -5) by its author]
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 01:43 (GMT -5)

I always completely read spellbooks away as soon as I get 'em. Except for spellbooks of Stength of Atlas. And if I get 2 spellbooks of SoA I'll completely read one away. And if I get over 1000 memory points in SoA I'll read all the books I have for it because I'm not in danger of running out. I got SoA to about +25 effectivity with a wizard I played recently.
NMBLNG
Registered user
Wrath of the blade of paradise

Last page view:

7188 days, 6 hours, 11 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 26, 2004 at 21:24 (GMT -5)

I'd save 1 book of each powerful or important spell for book casting, just in case. Acid bolt, teleport, and Frostbolt come to mind. Unless I have lots of memory, then I generaly cast all willy-nilly, and hope I find more spellbooks.
meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 00:22 (GMT -5)

dialo02, what kinda characters do you play? i play barbarians and paladins. i'm talkin about diablo btw.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3599 days, 7 hours, 44 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 11:21 (GMT -5)

priests are my favourite class. And Diablo, farsight is a very good spell to have in the beggining.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 12:42 (GMT -5)

Did anyone notice that Diablo has been gone for over a year now
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 27, 2004 at 20:16 (GMT -5)

Hm... that's some pretty impressive topic necromancy.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: