Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / MY luck

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

6658 days, 16 hours, 24 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 11:31 (GMT -5)

I either have great luck in this game, or horrible. Earlier I had to slay a rat for the dwarven leader guy, then a Dwarven Chaos Knight, and now a goblin. lol

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 23 hours, 48 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

Your too lucky! Do you know how much time it takes to hunt down a Shadow Lord? Or a Hill Giant Chieftain?
Ofcourse I get those green hags, rats, white worms too, but not on promising chars :)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 23 hours, 13 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 16:28 (GMT -5)

IIRC, hill giant hunting bands can be fuond in the wilderness on the hills(duh!) or on the mountains, can't remember which.

Now, I'm having trouble posting this, and occasionally when I'm having these troubles this thing gets posted several times and sometimes not at all so excuse me if you see twenty copies of this post. I'll delete the extras during my next visit.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7430 days, 5 hours, 37 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 18:05 (GMT -5)

Has anyone been SO unlucky that the elder sends off to slay a cat? Never happened to me. Possibly banned (like shopkeepers, unique chars etc)... That'd be VERY unlucky, if going for the ring...

Icesus
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 23 hours, 48 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

J. - I know, but have you ever tried to find one when needed? There is 1 chieftain in the biggest bands. Most of them are only normal giants.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2003 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

The elder DID ask Illumimi to kill a cave tiger. (Cat is no exception.)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2003 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

No, I don't have any personal experience about finding those:)

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 20:53 (GMT -5)

(More about my luck)Yay. A gray-elf mindcrafter. Started with SoFS. That'd be great, except my favorite first kill (beggar) didn't spawn in the outlaw town. If I go somewhere to get a decently strong companion, I will have to get a differant first kill... argh, guess I'll have to choose a differant first kill huh? Doh.
~~~~
Lol, he died... I made another, got killed, made another and another SoFS! Maybe a beggar will be there! :-)
~~~~
Ok, he died, and so did 2 others (lol, i'm GREAT)
But now I have one that survived to Dwarftown, he dropped the scroll in the lil room (I ate a pixie corpse)
This is SO going to be a keeper, I'm gonna get 17 dofferant ways to get to safety, and still die! lol

You wish to kill me? Good thing I brought my psychic hamster named Hamster with me...

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 6/18/2003 at 21:46 (GMT -5) by Jurne]
Jonesy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 at 12:20 (GMT -5)

Yes, the elder asked me to slay a cave lion. I just waited till I got the Ring of the Master Cat, put it in my pack, killed the cat, and finished the quests.
That's the workaround for it. You ever had to slay an Ancient Karmic Dragon for the quest. :). Now that's hard.
(But of course, you get more artifacts from the Cursed\doomed status)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/22/2003 at 12:23 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7430 days, 5 hours, 37 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

But when u kill a cat your Ring blows up -> few missing fingers and dexterity loss...

Icesus
Prickle P.
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

C had to kill the elder chaos god for the Ad's quest. I had to kill a dwarf once (this was the old adom 15 or 16 can't remember which.)
Jonesy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2003 at 21:57 (GMT -5)

No, when you put the ring in your pack, it doesn't blow up. But at the end of the game it says you fell from grace. :).
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 09:21 (GMT -5)

A dwarf is easy :-P
You can wait for a random one, or just pull one down, lol (they are in the town aren't they?)

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 10:03 (GMT -5)

I think he mentioned it not because a dwarf is hard to find but because it's kind of weird for the dwarven elder to ask you to kill one of his own kind. They're supposed to be lawful creatures. But maybe Thrundarr is an evil despot after all :P

Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

Or MAYBE, he's just a bit of programming inside of a game!!! Na, that couldn't be it, he sure LOOKS like a dwarven elder... lol

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 13:00 (GMT -5)

I've talked to him a couple of times and I'd say he's a really nice person once you get to know him.

Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2003 at 19:28 (GMT -5)

Mindcrafters should be able to thrall. Then i'd thrall that speck of dust and make him lead the army of dwarves to fight andy! mwuwuuuhahahahaaa

Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 at 10:13 (GMT -5)

(oh yeah, by speck of dust i meant dwarf guy, lol)

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2003 at 10:57 (GMT -5)

You could always make an RFE about it... Might not get through but worth a shot :)

Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 09:25 (GMT -5)

DOH! Wat's an RFE?

KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6454 days, 2 hours, 21 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 10:23 (GMT -5)

RFE = Request for Enhancement. Post it in the appropriate section of T.B's website, though the list hasn't been updated in a while (And it probably wouldn't be implemented anyway, but what the heck, one can always try :-)...)

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 10:54 (GMT -5)

Mindcrafters DO get into people's heads, why can't they make them slaves? All they do right now is pop brains (fun, but thrall would be interesting too) heck, he could even put a thing on it so only on humanoids, why not?

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5759 days, 9 hours, 54 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 11:17 (GMT -5)

Do you want to be able to thrall unique monsters, or not? (And what would happen if you enslaved Andor Drakon???) For what it's worth, mindcrafters can confuse uniques, even powerful ones like Blup's mum.
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 18:04 (GMT -5)

Yea, ALL critters! But isn't that a bit too powerful :-/
I dunno how to make an RFE so someone else can :-)
(If you enslaved Andor Drakon, a bunch of level 50 people (or level 20-30 trolls) would kill him while you watched helplessly :-P

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 13 hours, 3 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2003 at 20:19 (GMT -5)

Hmmm. Humanoids only... with a 50% or so chance of failure (maybe with failure resulting in a fleeing monster... you'd be scared too if someone decided to try to mentally enslave you), higher chance of failure for powerful monsters, and no re-tries, kind of like a successful pickpocket attempt... And it would start at a relatively high level of course...

That wouldn't be unbalanced, would it? Well, not much more than a Bard with 100 Music "enslaving" cave bears and giant boars.

Besides, you can't get Andy out of the chaos plane anyway :)

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 6/26/2003 at 20:22 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

The procedure for making an RFE is similar to submitting a bug - look around http://www.adom.de/. Warning: I have submitted several bugs, and they have all been completely ignored.

You'd need to think really hard about enslaving unique monsters - which ones can and cannot be enslaved, and what happens if you try and fail. Did you really mean to supply Mindcrafters with an infallible way of moving Khel off the stairs? (You try to enslave him - if it works, you just displace him, and if it doesn't work, he flees.) What about the eternal guardian? Try to enslave him, and either you have a super companion or you can sneak past while he's fleeing and never come back.

Monsters should turn hostile if your attempt to enslave them fails, and probably should have a chance of going into a blind rage instead of fleeing.

Bards can only tame animals, which reduces the problem with unique monsters. Anyone ever tamed the cat lord? Blup's mum? The Snake from Beyond?

P.S. Proposed changes to the game should be thrashed out on rec.games.roguelike.adom before being submitted, so that any obvious problems with the idea can be sorted out. The post should have "Pre-RFE" in the Subject line; we'd have something like "Pre-RFE: Mindcrafters enthralling monsters". Iridia, Jurne, do either of you want to post it, or do you want me to?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/27/2003 at 04:57 (GMT -5) by Ekaterin]
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

Iridia: I'm not sure but I think you can try pickpocketing monsters several times. They just might get angry in the process but you can still use the skill.

Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 at 13:31 (GMT -5)

I think it would have to be humanoid, and for important people it would get you a message such as "You can almost grasp his mind, but it slips away from you" and has a 0% chance of working. And instead of them fleeing, they become hostile (i wouldn't like someone trying to take my control from me) But people with no chance of becoming thralled (like khel for one) wouldn't be mad, (he's dying, too lazy to care, lol)
More balanced Ekaterin?

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 at 15:00 (GMT -5)

Yes, that's much better. Are you thinking that all uniques would be unthrallable? (That's how swapping places with monsters works; there's no reason I can think of why you can't swap places with the tiny girl, but you can't.)

It wouldn't matter if uniques turned hostile when you failed to thrall them. You already can turn Khel hostile, it just doesn't achieve anything, and if you turn the eternal guardian hostile, you'll be fighting multiple copies of him. It was just the idea of them fleeing that didn't work, because having Khel or the eternal guardian flee would be unbalancing.

If you want to keep fleeing in there for non-uniques, you can reason that the unique NPCs aren't frightened because they know your attempt at enslaving them had no chance of succeeding.

So who wants to post it on rgra? I will if you want me to. BTW, I am known by my real name (Eva Myers) on there. Jurne and Iridia, you might want to tell me your real names (by email if you'd rather), so that when the RFE is discussed on rgra, I know which posts are from you.
Jurne
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 27, 2003 at 15:52 (GMT -5)

Go ahead and post Ekaterin. Wat's your e-mail? *isn't comfortable with throwing his name out into the dark unknown, might get eaten by a grue*

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: