Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Potion of Exchange trick

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7893 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2001 at 15:41 (GMT -5)

Here's a lil trick you can do with Potions of Exchange.

If you have a blessed potionf of exchange, and have some item you don't need, dip that item in the potion of exchange and it will transform into a random item of the same type. So if you dip a brass amulet for example, you could get an amulet of life saving. Another example, that happened to my hurtling monk: Dip 16 rings of <can't remember now> and get 16 rings of djinni summoning. Neat yes? :) Needless to say, that hurtling monk won the game...

Oh btw. Remember that the potion must be blessed. Otherwise the transformation will only be temporary. And one last thing: Do not do the dipping in a shop since you'll drop the transformed item due to surprise...

[Edited at 15:43, Sunday, May 13, 2001 by Locke]
Locke Cole
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7645 days, 13 hours, 47 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2001 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

I knew some of that, but there some new things...

having 16 rings of djinni summoning is really NEAT!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 17 hours and 45 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2001 at 03:19 (GMT -5)

You can do the same with a potion of raw chaos. It's a little bit more risky, but they are much easier to come by (just dip any artefact with the essence of chaos in some useless potion).

I usualy play around with a couple of PoRC's once I find the Syche of corruption, in an attempt to get an AoLS...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 14, 2001 at 16:58 (GMT -5)

Yeah. Though I prefer using PoEx. Don't like the risks with PoRC really. But on the other, PoRC can be generated very easily so that's a big plus for 'em. But the risk for HUGE corruption and damage dealt to the PC *is* bad. *very* bad.

Locke Cole
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 02:49 (GMT -5)

Wearing a couple of blessed rings of luck, a blessed amulet of luck and be lucky and have fate smiling on you will all help reduce the cance of something bad happening I believe...

One I went through about 10 PoCR's and only spilled once getting slightly corrupted...

But yeah, baaad things can happen...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

Yeah well, IME, trusting the RNG (e.g. luck) too much often sums up to Bad Things (tm). At least in ADOM. hehe

When you spilled that once out of 10, did you only get corruption? No damage? And only slighty corrupted? How many corruptions did you get? And were you crowned lawful by any chance? Or had a corrution reducing class power? Also, what item did you dip? Was it blessed, cursed or uncursed? Hmm... this is rather interesting. I think I'll do some testing on this, too. Savefiles and PoRC test. Whenever I get the time over for it. :)

Locke Cole
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 03:36 (GMT -5)

I took no dammage, I just got the message (a rough aproximation from memmory): "you spill some of the fluid on your hands, you feel corrupted"

I didn't get any corruptions, guess it was roughly the same as getting hit by a chaos creature or stepping in a corruption trap or something like that...

I hear that the potion might blow up in wich case you will get heavily corrupted and possebly killed, but that has acutaly never happened to me, it's a possibility to keep in mind though.

Just make darn sure you are not cursed or doomed when you try this, the more in-game luck you have the better.

I would asume a blessed potion have a better chance of turning up somethig good, but I don't think the b/u/c status of the target item have any inpact, other that if you use a cursed brass amulet for example the new amulet will be cursed too...

To tell the truth it's been a looong time since I played long enough to realy experiment with this :-/

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

So it's the potion blowing up that is the most severe then. Spilling is not. But when you spill, does the transformation suceed? Or fail?

Locke Cole
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 09:52 (GMT -5)

I think it get transformed all the same, I'm not 100% sure though...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

Ok. I really should do that test. But that'll have to wait, yet again. hehe

Locke Cole
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 06:25 (GMT -5)

damn, I really would like to test that and do the UADOMSS work, but I have so lil time!!I had math-exam today... We had vectors, sin, tan & cos, vector cross etc... didnt go well... usually Im very good in maths :(
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

UADOMSS?

Locke Cole
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 at 03:03 (GMT -5)

Ultimate ADOM Spoiler Site...
Lord of The Rings

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 at 12:21 (GMT -5)

Aha! Ok

Locke Cole
MaChO
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 at 02:29 (GMT -5)

Does alchemist gloves help in that spilling thingie ? how can you make PoRC ? and does it only work on brass items ?
NaZgul
Registered user

Last page view:

7726 days, 20 hours, 7 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 at 03:35 (GMT -5)

1. It seems to me - no.
2. By deeping Ancient scythe of corruption into any potion (for example).
3. On any items.
MaChO
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2001 at 05:32 (GMT -5)

ok...thanks :)
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

About that explosion: I once tried to change a spellbook by dipping it into a PoRC...and it exploded causing severe damage and corrupting heavily. So I guess it's not wise to try dipping spellbooks into a PoRC. Can't remember if scrolls are safe...
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 at 19:54 (GMT -5)

Actualy there is always a risk, there is a random chance to get an explotion regardless of what item you try to change.

In game luck (the more the better) will help out a lot, so don't play around with potions of raw chaos untill you have at least a few blessed rings of luck and the ankh, or at the very least have become "naturaly" lucky and havnig fate smile on you from beeng close to your god.

Don't even thing about doing it if you are cursed or doomed...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7924 days, 12 hours, 11 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 at 20:31 (GMT -5)

Apparently your believing the promises of chaos by dipping items into PoRC. It says so if you die by the explosion. So doesn't that also mean it's a chaotic act?
Anyway, it's not worth the risk - I'd just use PoEx since there is no risk at all and the items may be just as good.

Sengoku
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 27, 2001 at 21:48 (GMT -5)

Sure, but potions of excange are rare to come by and usefull for other stuff too.

Sometimes you are desperate for a scertain item, and if you don't have any wishes handy it might be worth the risk...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: