Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Platinum Girdle

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7430 days, 19 hours, 11 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 07:39 (GMT -5)

This one this buggers me alot.

Has anyone actually managed to gain PG? Savescumming or not? What does it take to play the game w/o any bad acts? What was the hardest thing to avoid? How do you now if you have just lost your possibility to get the girdle (committed some minor bad act)?

This challenge sounds difficult, but I'm gonna try for it w/ some lawful character w/ minimum savescumming. Just wanna get some pointers before losing my nerves...

Icesus
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3750 days, 2 hours, 38 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 09:22 (GMT -5)

I've gotten it once, but that was by cheating heavily (i.e., item duplication), so it doesn't count. :)

I haven't heard of anyone who's actually gotten the platinum girdle without save-scumming, and I've been haunting the newsgroup and this forum for two years now... it's possible no one has ever done it.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6500 days, 6 hours, 37 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

I did. Once. Of course, it was in 1.0.0, and I died soon after. I need to find that saved file.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 12 hours, 48 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 14:57 (GMT -5)

A lawful paladin might be good because they get law so you get to know when you do something unlawful. Though I'm not completely sure that the law skill informs you of every possible way to do something chaotic.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 13 hours, 23 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2003 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

That's not the way. Law informs you that "you have just lost your Platinium Girdle in this game". That's all it does :|
It's just good for checking things before you try to get the PG. (ofcourse if you save scum, it's good for loading the char back if you commit a chaotic act)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at 03:33 (GMT -5)

That's what I had in mind. If you savescum then you know when to instead of always starting from lvl 1 and going down to D:50 and going 'oh well, didn't get it, maybe next time, let's try again'. Ass master said he might do some savescumming so I thought it might be helpful. You can get law from Tywat but I myself hate hunting down the raider lord.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/9/2003 at 03:36 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2003 at 14:06 (GMT -5)

Ya, (for example) but isn't attacking the crime lord a bad act? This is what I mean... it bloody difficult to get that girdle! And Law skill only informs u when it's impossible to get it..

Some savescumming must be done, that's for sure. There 'law' is helpful. Anyways I always savescum a bit (best win w/ 24 saves), because I can't play many hours straight or don't wanna leave my laptop always on..

Just made a check through the HoF looking for the girdle: Nope. Checked V1.1.1 V.1.0.0 and Gamma16pre2 regular winnings. U have to do some bad acts even to get the Avatar of Order winning. So it's pretty rare..

Icesus
Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

I try commanding my pet to kill the crime lord but thats still a chaotic act
when you fight use 'l'ook command every round to check monster status - it's possible that stupid goblins changes from hostile to non-hostile and back to hostile so be careful (attacking non-hostile creatures is bad :-))
attacking lawful monster i.e. blinkdogs is chaotic too
you cannot eat undead corpse (game recognize this as a chaotic)

don't know what about druid quest when you have L alignment - looks like chaotic :-)

a lot of try but i have never done this challenge
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2003 at 05:33 (GMT -5)

No grave digging, no converting altars, no backstabbing, no teleport control from corpses...
Nope, a damn girdle at D:50 isn't worth all that trouble.

A realist sees a train.
Prickle P
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 at 00:49 (GMT -5)

it might be nearly impossible to get the PG monsters always switch from hostile to neutral. can't kill white unicorns or do the gwu's quest.no matter how chaotic a monster is if it is neutral towards you it might lower your alighnment.
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6454 days, 15 hours, 55 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 at 11:05 (GMT -5)

True, the trouble to get the thing isn't worth the girdle's value. I mean it's a good piece of equipment, but considering how long it's going to be of use to your PC (since you only get it on D:50 and your about to finish the game anyway) it's only worth is to say "Hey, look what I got!"... And maybe a few extra points on your final score.

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2003 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

I read somewhere a while back that you can go for an avatar ending with the PG and the trident and nothing else. Does anyone know if this is true?
Fred
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 at 03:24 (GMT -5)

nope, coz you need to get the crown and the medal of chaos to become an avatar. and to do those, you will have to commit chaotic acts, so no more PG for you...
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 at 11:53 (GMT -5)

Well then, what's the point in becoming a true paragon of order? I always thought "maybe" there was a way to get the PG and become the avatar of law. I've haven't tested anything like it, I tried going for the PGbut on the last lvl it never genrated. So I decided, what did they do? They never did a chaotic act, probably hit one of those goblins that switch back and forth.
Damn playing fairly. I did get it once in G15 (once I figured how the game and alighment worked) I backed up save files on this game (hey it wasn't like 1yr of playing, more like 5m) that game was my first win. After that I tried playing fairly took me about 2m to get used to this.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

What keeps you from getting the platinum girdle and still becoming an avatar?... If you're chaotic initially, couldn't you theoretically complete the quests needed, and then become lawful?...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2003 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

Well... no.
A chaotic act is a chaotic act even if you are chaotic (BTW - wouldn't it be impossible to get the PG if one starts chaotic? He already has done chotic acts - at least that is what a Scroll of Balance tells you).

A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5759 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 at 05:44 (GMT -5)

I don't believe commanding your pet to kill the crime lord is a chaotic act, but you'll only be rewarded if you kill him yourself. However, IIRC attacking a peaceful monster is only chaotic if you answer yes to the "Really attack?" message. I.e. shooting an arrow through (not at) the crime lord is just fine, as is zapping him with a wand or spell.

Killing a blink dog is chaotic, but I don't think eating their corpses is. Play a bard, pacify or tame them, and wait until they get killed.

Is backstabbing really a chaotic act? I've never felt as if transgressing some law when doing it.

Iridia, since you've got the Platinum Girdle by savescumming, could you tell me what the precise criteria are? Is it just "never commit a chaotic act" or is there more? Do you have to save Khelavaster? Must you be a crowned lawful on entering D:50?
SolidSnake
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 at 08:01 (GMT -5)

Backstabbing is a chaotic act, but only on non-hostile creatures.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 at 08:51 (GMT -5)

Non hostile is anything but hostile.
Monsters that don't notice you yet (and can be backstabbed) are considered non-hostile, but the game won't ask you (Y/N) if you attack them, because they'll go hostile, when they see you.

A realist sees a train.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

Yup, that's the way it goes. If you backstab it's chaotic. But if you attack a creature that hasn't seen you and you don't get the question about attacking it isn't chaotic. Unless you backstab of course.

Also I think if you start chaotic you could get the thing if you don't do chaotic acts. But you couldn't become an avatar as I think doing chaotic quests(old crone, demented ratling) is chaotic.

Prickle P
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 at 16:43 (GMT -5)

you can't become an avatar because you need the medal and crown. but what would happen if you just had the PG and the trident? the trident you don't do anything chaotic (that i can think of.)
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 13, 2003 at 21:17 (GMT -5)

It wasn't just save-scumming... I also used the files that store levels to duplicate items (doesn't work in the newest versions, but it used to). Essentially, I got a character to 99 in all stats (PoGA), then wished (duplicated ring of djinni summoning) for ancient karmic wyrms in the SmC, then death-rayed them (I think I read scrolls of monster aggravation first, but I'm not sure) to get to level 50. I also duplicated scrolls of education, potions of speed, and potions of wonder to get all spells, skills, and about 20000 speed (that's not an extra zero). I also wished for the best equipment. After that, it was just a matter of getting the fire orb, casting magic map on each level, teleporting to the down stairs, and killing orb guardians. Duplicated gold got me crowned lawful. By the time I got to D:50 I had killed less than 500 monsters, and got the platinum girdle without really trying. I wish I still had the save file... if I did, it would be quite a good way to test exactly what was required for the platinum girdle. But I don't. So I can't. And you just read my entire post for absolutely no reason... *g*

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

Heh. Nice one. :)

"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2003 at 17:41 (GMT -5)

I didn't read it. :D

Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 03:00 (GMT -5)

Ekaterin
"I don't believe commanding your pet to kill the crime lord is a chaotic act"

but I receive a message "Really attack?"...
so is this a chaotic act or not?
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5759 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 14:28 (GMT -5)

You receive the message "Really attack?" when commanding your pet to kill him? That's strange. Are you talking about normal pets (e.g. animals tamed by music) or about necromancers' slaves, which I don't know a lot about? I've asked pets to kill peacefuls before, not got any "Really attack?" messages, and not had my alignment change noticeably.
Jedik
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

"normal" pet - killer bug or cave tiger
Portrait
Prickle Pear
Registered user
Killer fruit

Last page view:

7192 days, 11 hours, 3 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 20, 2003 at 23:47 (GMT -5)

if you have a pet/slave attack the sheriff your alighnment will drop.

The new and improved MTV...my ass! Where's Bevis & Butthead?
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 18:57 (GMT -5)

I pulled this from the Tome of *Can't Remember* spoiler site. These are the EXACT requirements. Hopefully, they are still correct.
Things are very simple: when you enter to a D:50 (Caverns of Chaos level 50), you might receive this item, if you have fulfilled certain requirments.
The requirments are:
You haven't attacked non-hostile (tame and neutral) monster in a whole game
You haven't been digging up any grave in a whole game
You haven't completed any chaotic quest in a whole game
You haven't robbed (or tried to rob) a shop
You haven't applied nor getted (in the game) Pick Pockets skill
You are a crowned champion of Order
You have saved Khelavaster from certain death (by giving him amulet of life saving).
If everything is OK, you'll receive a following message when you arrive at D:50:
"This level is very strange... the walls are hard to see, everything seems to blur and you feel slightly dizzy. Suddenly you are engulfed by a glowing light! (more)
You hear a booming voice... (more)
"*CHAMPION*, THOU HAST PREVAILED!" (more)
"AS A REWARD FOR YER PERSEVERANCE YOU SHALL BE PREPARED FOR THE FINAL ONSLAUGHT!" (more)
Something seems to be lying before you. A platinum girdle (20s) is lying here. There is a stair leading upwards here."
Congratulations! You have received the artifact

platinum girdle "True Strength" (+3, +0) [+18, +9] {Wi+15} (+15 spd)
weight: 20
powers:increases and grants luck, makes Fate smile upon you, causes regeneration, resistance to poison, death & confusion attacks

However, if you commit a chaotic act (attack a non-hostile monster or dig up a grave) or change your alignment to less than LN after receiving the girdle, it will literally squeeze you to death.
If you do these things before getting the girdle, you won't (of course) get the girdle.
Notice that eating or picking up anykind of corpse isn't chaotic act.

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 19:01 (GMT -5)

Nice... now just for the task! heh..

Icesus
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: