Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Corruption help...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5759 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

I have a level 50 Human Farmer who is just about to go after the Trident and try to become an Avatar of Balance, but my problem is that most of my SoCR were destroyed in the blue dragon caves. All I have left for corruption removal is one blessed SoCR and two cooked orb guardian corpses which I plan to trade in for PoCC.

I have 12 corruptions so far, I haven't gone past 90 days, and I have the 30% less corruption class power. I think I can make it through the Filk quest and the Scintillating Cave without needing any corruption removal, but when I meet Andor Drakon, he'll probably corrupt me to death.

I'm thinking about dipping items into blessed potions of exchange in hopes of getting some corruption removal items. What should I dip (scrolls for SoCR, potions for PoCC, or rings for RoDS)? Where should I do this to have the best chance of getting what I need?

Any tips on killing Andor as quickly as possible so he doesn't have time to corrupt me? I have some slaying ammo - would blessing it help?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 9 hours, 47 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

You don't want to get hit by Andy's melee attack... high speed, 7LB, etc. will be helpful. You probably knew that, though.

You may want to try draining pools, if there are any left.

There are:
29 types of rings
43 types of scrolls
60 types of potions

The less of a type there are, the more chance, presumably, you have of getting the desired item. That probably rules out potions, since there are sixty types, and the PoCC is less powerful than a SoCR.

The more you can dip into a potion of exchange, the more items you'll get, but the items that give wishes (rings and possibly wands) would give you more than one item apiece. So I'd say pick rings over scrolls.

There are only 28 types of wands... you could consider trying for a wand of wishing, but wands don't stack. I don't know if wands end up with different numbers of charges after being dipped...

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/24/2003 at 06:50 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2003 at 07:04 (GMT -5)

I am a living mana battery, so wands won't help. This could also make it difficult to paralyse Andy when I meet him (does that work every time? I've never tried it).

Unfortunately, not all types of item are equally common. E.g. I'd assume that you are far more likely to get brass rings than RoDS. This means that you can't be sure that polypiling rings would be better - maybe RoDS are much rarer than SoCR. On the other hand, if I did get RoDS it would not only fix my corruption problem but also allow me to wish for speed when fighting Andy.
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6499 days, 13 hours, 45 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2003 at 10:51 (GMT -5)

Even when you are a living mana battery, you still get the last wand wish. (Helpful for when you need scrolls of chaos resistance, real quick!)

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 at 05:51 (GMT -5)

Thanks for your help, but I died anyway. I tried polypiling rings but got nothing useful. It didn't help that I had stiff muscles, and that my last SoCR was destroyed by my own rebounding lightning bolt.

From now on I'm going to put two or three SoCR aside in the old barbarian's glade as my stash for the Chaos plane.
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2003 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

That's how all my char.s have good stats. I put all )yes all( untill the final battle against drakon. I hide all valuable items in random places old barbarian's place, dwarven mystic's area, random areas of the dungeon (monsters can pick stuff up). Then right before fighting drakon I pick everything up (orbs, scrolls).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/26/2003 at 17:56 (GMT -5) by its author]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 19 hours, 57 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 09:52 (GMT -5)

It is a good habit to store items in a safe place. Good places are the ogre cave below dwarftown(no monsters there) and the barbarians glade(just kill him and he won't pick your items up).

BTW, you didn't mention it but had you already done the unicorn quest?:)

Also, I'd guess the items you receive from dipping depends on the danger level of the dungeon, so DH could be a good place to dip.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/27/2003 at 09:52 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

Yep, I had already done the black unicorn's quest to turn chaotic. I do that when going for Avatar of Balance because since you need to be extremely corrupted when going through the gate, the white unicorn's cleansing isn't terribly useful.

Is DH really a better place to dip than D:48? Often people dip in DH:2 because they're trying for AoLS and it's the most dangerous place they can get to at that stage.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2003 at 19:06 (GMT -5)

I don't know. Anything(right?) can be generated in the DH so either it has a high danger level or it's somehow different from other levels. D:48(why not 50?) corrupts more so it might have an even higher danger level. I dunno.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7430 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 at 19:14 (GMT -5)

But isn't SMC thee most dangerous place? excluding Andys domain..

Icesus
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3749 days, 9 hours, 47 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 at 19:59 (GMT -5)

I don't know; the SmC is pretty unique, since it has a very high danger level BUT the monsters generated there are always things like goblins, rats, and orcs--only at very high levels. I do know people have found very good equipment in the SmC more than they have on other levels, which seems to argue for a higher danger level rather than just a different monster generation.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7430 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 28, 2003 at 20:41 (GMT -5)

No they are not... at high levels when you go to SMC and kill everything that moves the monsters that start to spawn there are nuthing but rats and goblins... One of my VERY potential winners at lvl 46 IIRC found out just how fast those quickling queens are... in the SMC.

'twas a surprise for me too!

Icesus
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

That's true, the monster types get more and more dangeroud at the same rate as they get more experienced. That's why it's very dangerous.

C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

To get corrupted for a UCGE or NAE I sit around lvl. 50 and 49 and let the balors hit me (yes I have been near death many times.) on lvl 49 on the > I leave SoCr and PoCc and a wand of wishing or RoDs, extra spellbooks and all that other stuff (back-up armor).
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6499 days, 13 hours, 45 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

That's what I would do. You don't want to leave them too far away from you, you should make caches at least every 10 levels, that way you stand _somewhat_ of a chance.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: