Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / dipping water

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

deranged monk
Registered user

Last page view:

7357 days, 19 hours, 56 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

Curious: If you dip a heap of of 10 potions of water into a potion of holy water how many will actually become holy water? I'm thinking he put a cap on this because you could get a lot of holy water by dipping dozens of potions into just one potion of holy water.

Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7435 days, 10 hours, 41 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

Very strange to even think something like that. It's just so easy to drop ANY kind of water to altar and make it holy. Just a 'very pleased' deity is enough for that.

But if u dip sht like heap of 10 potions of gain attributes to holy water, only one gets blessed. So prob same goes to the water -> so it's a waste..

Icesus
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6504 days, 22 hours, 6 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 14:27 (GMT -5)

No, it doesn't. You get 4 per holy water. It'll help you when the next alter is far away.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3116 days, 4 hours, 52 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

I'd rather go to the altar, then waste one potion of Holy water (dunno why, I'm always short on water... good thing ADOM chars don't need to drink ;P )

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6320 days, 1 minute and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

You can dip only 4 water potions at once, the rest will still remain in your backpack. And only a one potion of gain attributes/strenght/dex/etc. can be dipped to another potion once. So, if you have 10 potions of gain attributes, you have to have 10 potions of holy water for them.
Dipping potions of cure poison to blessed potions of exchange can be quite fun. You can dip 9 of them at once. And 9 potions of gain attributes are always welcome. :)

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
deranged monk
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

I usually go to alters myself, but friend told me a trick he uses- I think it was using the 4, crimson. I just wanted to see from you experts if he was bullshitting me!
By the way I found a potion of quicking blood- didn't know they exisisted. I dipped that in holy water and drank it. Got a good perminant boost to my speed. Any of you find those? They must be very rare.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5663 days, 4 hours, 17 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 04:32 (GMT -5)

They used to be called potions of speed in some older versions. Can't remember when it was changed, 1.0.0 or 1.1.0 probably.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3754 days, 18 hours, 7 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 07:41 (GMT -5)

Re: Dipping potions of *stat*

Last I remembered, potions of gain *stat* could be stacked in twos and dipped.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6320 days, 1 minute and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 04, 2003 at 11:44 (GMT -5)

Iridia: No, they won't stack either, when dipped. Not sure of the older versions, though.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5612 days, 16 hours, 19 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 05:12 (GMT -5)

Or you could dip 19 brass rings into a !oEx and get 19 RoDS. It's just not very common to get them.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 at 14:39 (GMT -5)

i used to get short on water but if you spend some time in the ID levels 8 to 9, you end up with quite a stack.

TBD
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 07:26 (GMT -5)

firestorm: IME levels 6 and 7 of the ID are also good places for collecting water (and IIRC booze as well). I don't know if levels 8 and 9 are even better for that. Methinks someone should research that ?
Portrait
Arancaytar
Registered user
Pyromancer

Last page view:

567 days, 12 hours, 49 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

What do levels of the ID have to do with the probability of finding certain items?!

Move the cursor to the desired position and press [SPACE] when done.
Impossible. Suddenly you stand elsewhere.
You see an ancient altar of black obsidian.
The goblin rockthrower suddenly shouts a prayer to his gods! You are consumed by a roaring column of flame!
TBD
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

Ara: I may be mistaken, but from my experience ID levels *DO* have at least some relevance to item findings. I tend to find quite nicely water around ID 6-7 and spellbooks around ID15. I presume the probability of nice items increases as the level (and danger level) increases.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5764 days, 14 hours, 58 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

As I understand it, the deeper you go, the higher the "danger level" gets, and the higher the danger level is, the more likely you are to find rare/valuable items. You don't want to spend too long at level 10 or below because of corruption, though.

Assuming that the total rate of item generation remains the same, if there are lots of valuable items there will be fewer mundane (but useful) items. I.e. maybe at level 10000 the only potions you find are PoGA and stat increasing potions.

What all that amounts to is that the probability distribution of items varies with level, and there must be an optimum level to scum for potions of water. I don't know how anyone would determine this optimum level, though. Perhaps they would spend 10000 turns scumming a particular pair of levels of the ID and record what they found.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 14:10 (GMT -5)

Maybe items have rarities, and each level has a maximum rarity (with exceptions possibly allowed for bards and those with Treasure Hunter, or maybe by an extremely high or low randomly generated number).

There would be optimum levels for any item only because that item's rarity would be the highest allowable on that level, so you'd get the target item, plus items with lower rarities, but item generation wouldn't be clogged up with items of higher rarities.

Possible?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

well, i dont know about level 5-6...i figure as someone said "the higher the danger level (ie lower you go) the better the stuff ........so i hang out level 8 -9 (no background corruption and the highest danger level.

in my current game (no cheating whatsoever and yes that means no savescumming) i found around 10 gain attributes, stat raising for every stat and seven league boots on 8 -9
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

Nice.... do you have TH?

Die Gedanken sind Frei
deranged monk
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 18:22 (GMT -5)

I recently went to lvl 30 of the id and back and all i found notable was 1 potion of water and a SoCR, after killing all the monsters and exploring all the levels, so I don't think there's any real proof "the deeper you go the beeter the items". What is treasure hunter anyway? I've never played the bard or heard of this TH.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 at 19:54 (GMT -5)

Your not supposed to look for items below ID:9, because at ID:10 the background corruption starts.

Treasure hunter is a talent, that causes more item drops. And more drops = more chances of incredible drops (although by best drops, like 7L Boots from a bee worker where without TH).

A realist sees a train.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5612 days, 16 hours, 19 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 11:37 (GMT -5)

Maelstorm: True, although AFTER closing the gate corruption in ID is no longer an issue (well, except for SIL, or whatever it was called). With my latest winner (the gnomish wizard) I spent quite a while in ID after closing the gate collecting stuff (not that I needed to, though). With treasure hunter it was not uncommon to find monster pits full of karmic dragons and the like around ID25-30. And with a high level magic missile it was a cinch cleaning out such rooms.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2003 at 18:02 (GMT -5)

Well, I don't think ANYONE would worry about lack of holy water when he has closed the gate :/
After that you really should scum the Blue Dragon Caves, not the ID.

A realist sees a train.
firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 at 14:42 (GMT -5)

yep, i did have treasure in the "gain attributes" game like i call it.the fool also dropped me a heap of 2 potions of gain attributes against some booze.
Just completed it yesterday, transformed into an avatar of balance, without any kind of cheating. Im pretty proud of myself, hehe.......btw i'd never had an wand of wishing,EVER.imagine my surprise when an orc drops me one :)
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 at 14:45 (GMT -5)

Thats great Firestorm. You literally can't believe it when you find one, especially being a non scummer. I hadn't found one in about 10 months, than i found 3 in 3 consecutive games playing as gnomish bard with Treasure Hunter. Got that Avatar so I've stopped playing bards, but damn they were fun for a couple of days.

bz

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: