Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / OOC: Arcanium

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 8 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5656 days, 9 hours, 54 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 at 22:25 (GMT -5)

I'm all for that. Do you have MSN? If you do we all could get in contact and this'd be easier.
ivan.sourceforge.net
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7162 days, 8 hours, 59 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2004 at 23:35 (GMT -5)

Well, I want to write Relthe :)

Dalinor it seems, is kind of driving the story at the moment, but the general view of the world is meant to be rather ignorant, which is why Dalinor is a minor character. Were he to be prominent and clear minded we lose a bit of they mystery, which was one of the goals of the story to begin with; to have a few characters all wide eyed enter into this "other world". Very Narnia-like, if you will.

So Dalinor, I believe, is best kept as a minor character, written in the background for the most part. Though, we have given him some prominent sections so far, in the future I think he'll mostly be seen only when one of the other characters is on-screen too.

I don't know what Iridia is planning with J and A, but I beleive they might be divisible... I don't know. Their character development has been mostly with A, with Jen kind of a protector overseer. But Jen is Iridia's main char, so that will change. but there is the possiblity that Andreca will leave the group soon, plus she's a girl so maybe you guys would perfer not writing as her. *shrug*

Relthe has had a bit of depth added, and Josua is going that way also, Will is getting into the magics, but the girls are kind of a team character at the moment. I think they could be fleshed out a bit more. Jen especialy.

That said, we havn't really gotten into the action.

Another point. The last few posts we seem to be jumping from scene to scene without much transition (from the "attack" to the inn and then into their room with nasy a passage inbetween.) I think this is a bit of a jolt, so just a reminder, if you're doing something like that remember that unless we're cutting from character to character, we want to explain the passages. Something like:

Relthe quickly took stock of the situation, and seeing his feelings mirrored in Willard's eyes decided it was time to retire to their room. The girls were not to be seen so he assumed they must have moved to bed while Will was talking before and hadn't noticed. He signaled to Willard and they left the room, heading down the hallway in the direction the landlord had indicated. The door was closed and they entered quietly, noticing the two girls were already sound asleep.

etc. etc..

I wrote this without glancing at the story, so yeah, it's not exactly fitting in but you get the general idea.

I'm on MSN: pslaz1@hotmail.com

remember also, we want to keep this story as coherent as possible, so if you cou get into the old "summary" practice when you make a post that'd be great.

eg:

New post

Time: About 6:30pm
Characters: Dalinor is talking to a local guard captain. Relthe, Willard, Andrea and Josua are sitting down in the Tavern, Jennifer has got up from the table.
New posessions: none.
New Characters: Jayck, a uninitiated member of the Elementalists.
New places: none.

Possible beginings for the next posts: Jennifer winning some money at darts (Iridia) or the conversation between Dalinor and the guard (Andor, Duke) (can we have something like that for a non-main character?)??

also: read through this whoel thread, most of the stuff said in the past is still true, unless contradicted later, or by the arcanium info thread.

we have had a LOT of ideas flowing in the past, and not all of them have been collected coherently :)

Last idea:

we could have another person like the group that we find. perhaps in tauran. who wasn't so lucky to be placed in hte world with others like them and near nice people like Dalinor, who were takne by the elementalists due to thier odd clothes and so on and are being help sortof captive.

maybe they can be rescued or be found and join and party and matt could write them.. etc.. *shrug*

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 8/20/2004 at 00:12 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7162 days, 8 hours, 59 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 00:17 (GMT -5)

Randomly:

The story so far is more than 24,000 words and not so terrible it makes me want to wish I'd never done it. Well done everyone! :)

That's 76, SEVENTY SIX, pages in word.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/20/2004 at 00:18 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6955 days, 7 hours, 53 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 00:21 (GMT -5)

So having re read the story do you still think it is important to explain how Willard and Relthe got to the bunk room? I thought that was pretty obvious, but lemme know what you think.
Tell me how to get stronger....
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7162 days, 8 hours, 59 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 00:35 (GMT -5)

No that bit is ok. I wasn't proposing any rewriting. Just a general sense to try and keep the flow of the story going.
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

6911 days, 15 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

> Well, I want to write Relthe :)

Oh, whoops. Right, right. I get it now. You weren't advising him, you were asking him to edit his post so that Relthe will remain a consistent character until you choose to pick him up again. Sorry I got carried away there.

It's great that everything's settled. Duke, Iridia and Derek, then: the three musketeers of writing!

Anytime someone starts up an RP, just say the word and I'm there!

Writing is Mother. Writing is Father.
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 00:42 (GMT -5)

Hmm, it took me thirty minutes to get that last reply sent, in which time Lamaros and Derek posted three times total.

> That's 76, SEVENTY SIX, pages in word.

Let's see how long it takes Arcanium to reach 776!

On a side note, is that an eight-point font?
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 01:11 (GMT -5)

Oh wow, it was on a huge size. :P 8pt is only 28 pages.

Hehe.

And I'm writing Relthe now. As soon as Derek edits his post, or if we come to some agreement, then I'll post away.

Plus, did you seee my last bit :P I'm suggesting ways for you to join in. :)

It's funny reading through the thing on a word file where you dont automaticly know the author of each section. I must admit, it makes me ashamed and how bad I am. :(

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/20/2004 at 01:12 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 01:14 (GMT -5)

It's a bit of a spur actually, to see how poor I have been in the past.

Plus I do like this world we've created. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it, I might as well try and produce something from that effort.

Speaking of which. I'm really sad I've lost the maps. I spent days on them.
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6955 days, 7 hours, 53 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 01:49 (GMT -5)

Can you post an email address Lamaros? Would like to discuss Relthe a bit more, just some ideas duke and I were tossing around... BTW is it really necessary for me to edit my post with one extra line? If it is I will, but couldn't you just put that line into the beginning of your post? The posts would at least flow right into each other this way. I see your point though.

Matt - if you are so keen to start another role play, I would be happy to join in it too because I have enough time to update my posts 5 days a week and Arcanium does not call for such a commitment. If you can find another person or two to join in, lets have a go?
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 01:51 (GMT -5)

pslaz1@hotmail.com

i tried to add you to msn, but alas!

hm, my post about changes was getting rid of a few lines at the end, and mixing around some of the middle bit..

oh I see what you thought. what i meant was, could you end your post at that point, where you wrote that, and get rid of the last couple of sentances?

and the middle bit where you had relthe contemplating how he could manipulate will, i rewrote that bit a little.. so that it is more consisiternt, and so it can lead into what i have planned.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/20/2004 at 01:57 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5656 days, 9 hours, 54 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

I'm up for another RP too, though i can't gaurentee my post commonness... although school's starting up soon so i won't have friends to hang out with any more, but i am also trying to get a job. But even so. i think i'll have enough time. let's continue talking 'bout this on the OOC Commentary thread.

Also. i uploaded a very crude map to http://server6.uploadit.org/files/armadon3-crapmap.jpg . It's quite basic. It really sucks. The first town from the top is Dunn, then Tauran, then Dail, and at the bottom is The Gate. needs lots of work, it's basically just what i could remember, with a little tweaking because i couldn't remember well at all. Lameros, since you made the old maps and can remember them, perhaps you can fix this up some?
ivan.sourceforge.net

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/20/2004 at 02:48 (GMT -5) by Duke Ravage]
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2004 at 14:26 (GMT -5)

> And I'm writing Relthe now. As soon as Derek edits his post, or if we come to some agreement, then I'll post away.

Fantastic! If you rejoin, we'll have to switch from musketeers to power rangers, though. Duke would, as the leader/moderator, be the red ranger. Derek's less green than he is blue, so he'd be the blue ranger. Then there's Iridia, who's definitely not a pink ranger, much more of a yellow. Lamaros, you'll be the white ranger who reveals himself in the second season.

> Plus, did you seee my last bit :P I'm suggesting ways for you to join in. :)

Oh, whoops, I see now. The other person, who wasn't with the others, being an idea?

If the Duke/Irida/Derek/etc have no problem then I'll be more than happy to jump in whenever it's appropriate.

EDIT #2: And 'jump in' of course implies pending approval, etc etc.

EDIT: Changed quite a bit of this around, after my realization that things weren't as I thought.

EDIT #3: Reworded to use diverse vocabulary. Hey, I can do that; I'm a writer, aren't I? And all writers are at least a little bit insane. It's the staple! Arrrr! Arrrr!

[Edited 3 times, last edit on 8/21/2004 at 13:21 (GMT -5) by Matt]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 at 00:55 (GMT -5)

soz i'm takin so long on my story bit. it's longish.
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 at 01:36 (GMT -5)

Attn: Matt
Been talking to ravage, and we have worked out a possible way to make a new character/s, I thought you may be interested in handling one? Give me a buzz on msn or send a mail, I check/sign into both at work so time zone differences may make msn a little difficult. Anyway buzz me on either
dbresq01@hotmail.com or brendon@ybm.com.au
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 at 21:39 (GMT -5)

Sure thing! I'll try to be on often enough.... for some reason my IM client (Gaim 0.71 FC1, located at ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/gaim-0.71-2.i386.rpm) isn't letting me sign on with my SN, so I'm going to see if I can recompile it for a newer version now, so then we can all talk on MSN. (When exactly did AIM get the shaft, anyway? Everyone's on MSN....)

Once I tried to reverse-engineer the AIM protocol so I could run Tcl automation instead of having to use those stupid, bulky Net::AIM Perl modules. I think I could probably do it better now, but maybe I'll work on MSN instead.... nah. =P
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 at 23:17 (GMT -5)

Myself i prefer AIM... just everyone 'round here's on MSN, plus MSN automatically checks one of my email accn'ts, so that's why i keep it around. I killed ICQ ages ago.
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

I'm looking at you on AIM right now, but I just got MSN working (with the aid of SSH and RH9's Gaim--thank you, GUI support!), and added both you and Derek and Lamaros, but right after I add you (Duke Ravage) since I had to get offline in three minutes I just logged out quickly. Tomorrow I'd like to talk--I'm open all day, what time's good for you and Derek? I'm in EST here.
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 01:48 (GMT -5)

Okay lemme try to work this out. I am in australia, and I am online from 9am to 5pm my time. IIRC we are 15 hrs ahead sothat means that in your time it is 6pm - 12am your time the day before. Ack to confusing to work out. If we don't get to catch up just email me at my .ybm address, that gets checked daily.
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 17:04 (GMT -5)

Let's do this in 24-hour time, in terms of when we're most available. ('Extending' hours for purposes of after midnight, early morning.) (AST is Australian Standard Time.... err... yeah!)

Derek: 09:00-17:00 [AST] 18:00-24:00 [EST]

Hold on, that's eight hours your time and six hours mind.... did we lose two hours somewhere over the Atlantic? o,0 If we go by 'fifteen hours ahead....'

Matt: 14:00-25:00 [EST] 05:00-16:00 [AST]

Seems like we'd be able to find sometime to meet, if your fifteen-hour estimate is anywhere close to the mark.... hmm.

Okay, screw this, how about you, Derek, Lamaros figure it out from http://www.timezoneconverter.com/ ? There's a few cities in Australia for reference. (Or from your forum settings; I'm -5 GMT.)

I'll be afoot.
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

Pretty sure that where I got my original estimate from. Anyway 0900-1700 [AST, eg tuesday] does equal 1800-2400 [EST, monday] from what the calc gave me. Haha we're beating you. Mwuhahahaha. Hang on, that might mean we have 15 hours less to live than you? Noooooooooooo.
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 20:02 (GMT -5)

Hmm.... really? Okay. I gues we'll never know what happened to those two hours.

Let's see. Could you tell me your GMT offset? It'd be easier to just use our offsets to work this out. Your offset is +10, then?

(This is getting way more complex than it should be....) I'm looking at you on MSN but it says you're busy, like it did yesterday--I'm unfamiliar with what, does it mean I can't IM you?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/24/2004 at 20:05 (GMT -5) by Matt]
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 22:36 (GMT -5)

Nah just send me a message, if it you don't get one back it means either:
a) I am actually busy
b) I am a rude bastard at given time
c) All of the above
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 at 01:43 (GMT -5)

What's happened since then (for the benefit of Iridia and those with faulty memories):

I talk to Derek online, he briefed me on a few of his and Duke's ideas, I had to leave shortly after. I e-mailed him and Duke later, Duke sent a response e-mail, I sent another e-mail to Duke, then Derek, Duke, Lamaros and I talked on MSN chat. My client died twice and I lost the transcript.

The status of things can be summed up like this (to quote myself):

"....Seems like we've pretty much wrapped up this character, in terms of me being able to go ahead and write a segment, except for a few things. First, I need to check with Duke about the nature of this character and human nature in Arcanium, in general. Then we can get to figuring out how we can work the new character into the story."

And on that last part, working a character into the story, it shouldn't be that difficult. Lamaros is halfway through his next update, then somewhere along the line someone can provide an opening, I'll e-mail Duke for review and he may or may not give it the okay, and we'll see what happens from there.

I think we're all pretty much on the same page here.
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 00:40 (GMT -5)

It's been a week and I've heard nothing from anyone on this (nor a response to my e-mail to Duke). Which is a good thing, in a way, because.... I think I've decided that I don't want to do this.

I just came to a decision a few hours ago, one that would require me to not participate in this RP. Of course, there were only half-formed ideas on all of what we discussed, so it shouldn't be anything of a big deal that I'm backing out on this, I hope....

Anyway. It seems like Ancardia's lagging a bit, but when Lamaros finally writes and posts it, I look forward to reading later chapters!

Matt
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Moderator on this forum
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

you sent me an email? must've gotten lost somewhere.
Oh well. would've been fun.
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Matt
Registered user
Adventurer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 15:40 (GMT -5)

Ah, you didn't get it? I'm sorry.

Yeah, so, I'm still be working on Wanderings--that story has a definite direction forming. And still ADOM'ing.
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 at 06:01 (GMT -5)

i suck. soz.

i gave up and posted the really bad stuff ivé written, i give up. *crys*
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 at 06:01 (GMT -5)

i suck. soz.

i gave up and posted the really bad stuff ivé written, i give up. *crys*
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 17:31 (GMT -5)

it's not bad, it's good. all it is is incomplete.

myself i'm wishing i had my own computer again. friends took it because i wasn't doin homework.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: