Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How far down can I make it?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

7029 days, 18 hours, 8 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 22:15 (GMT -5)

I've decided to see just how far down I can go in the ID. I haven't started a game yet but I was coming up with some ideas.

The first thing I need to do is close the gate. I think it would be best to remove all corruptions before I descend too. The antenna corruption might come in handy though.

After that I think I'll need to stock up on holy water. I believe I can dip 4 vials of water into holy water at a time. This way i shouldn't need but 50~60 vials of holy water to begin.

I'll also need to stock up on scrolls of identify and uncursing. ?of identify seemed common so I'll just collect a big pile of ?of uncursing beforehand.

High speed will be important so I'll need to spend a few years in the quickling tree eating corpses. Does anyone know what is the max speed you can get from eating quickling corpses? I've gotten speeds of ~180 from corpses.

I imagine teleportation will become VERY important toward the end. The way I see it, I can either find =oDS and wish for books or play as a mindcrafter. I'm still undecided which one would be best. I'm reluctent to use a mindcrafter again because I just finished playing one.

I'll have to get the ToRR which will require a bit of luck. Any other equipment that I'll definitely need? 7lb comes to mind but not stuff like GoGS. I hope I get some good artifacts but I might find some as I dive. Are artifacts generated in ID?

Now the most tedious part of preparing. I believe I can get st to 99 with =of weakness and ogre corpse. The reason I say ogre is because there is a limitless supply in the wilderness. After that it'll be a matter of drinking !oEx and scumming until all stats are 99. Does anyone know of another way besides =of weakness and ogre corpse? I have version 1.1.1 on winbeta.

I plan on savescumming and scumming in every way possible short of hacking. I'm not really interested in getting on to the HoF or anything. I'm just curious what it's like on level 10000. For example, does every monster kill in one hit and is every potion dropped a !oGA? I'm gonna find out. Once I get down into the thousands I'll probably be running away all the time anyways.

So, give me some recommendations and ideas. What race/class would you think is good for this? Any other things I should do to prepare? Anything I haven't thought of?
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5585 days, 12 hours, 10 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

Don't forget you can also get holy water by dropping any water into a coaligned altar as long as your piety is high enough. If you intend to stock up on holy water BEFORE descending that shouldn't be a problem.

You should be able to get your speed to much higher than 180 from quickling corpses. In one game I raised my speed to 600+ (after closing the gate, naturally) by hunting quicklings in the wilderness (took a LOOOONG time, though). That was in 1.0.0, though, but I don't think 1.1.1 should differ here. I could have gotten it higher, I presume, but it was getting boring.

As for equipment, it wouldn't hurt having some AoLS as well. I presume deep in the ID there are going to be some nasty beasties. And with the über-monsters bug of the 1.1.1. even large spiders could be REALLY nasty.

As for raising stats, I raised all my stats to 99 once (the same char whose speed was 600+). The char dump is in RGRA (Superman the human wizard) if you are interested. I found it exceedingly tedious to raise stats until I decided to try the BDC. Since ABD corpses raise Dx and there are also RoDS to be found there it might be one choice. Then again, I wouldn't want to face several über-ancient blue dragons, seeing that even über-large spiders are really nasty.

Also, if you plan on trying a spellcasting class don't underestimate magic missile. A high level magic missile will make short work of just about anything (even the PC) if one can get the bolt to bounce several times on the target. Imagine cleaning out a room full of ancient karmic dragons in couple of shots.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6292 days, 19 hours, 52 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 04:10 (GMT -5)

Well, you have a shitload of ?oIdentify and ?oUncursing by the time you've closed the gate, so no problems with that.

Some means of healing, preferably blessed ultra/extra healing potions... Alot.

I've been at ID 400+ after closing the gate with a human barbarian, who didn't know how to cast spells. It was simply impossible. I'd choose a priest for the task, as they become good spellcasters and fighters.

Be sure to have as many immunities as you can get, because even a lightning lizard can kill you there with a single bolt down there. And better to watch out for any monsters that shoot bolt spells, and especially those vortices. They destroy heaps of stuff when that experienced.

Go for DV instead of PV. The monster down there hit way too hard for any PV at all, so better not to get hit.

Be sure to get alot of wands/scrolls of monster detection, you don't want to open any tension room there, that's a suicide.

And do NOT forget slaying ammo.

Try to get !oEducation, or ?oEducation, and scum at least archery and alertness with them, if you don't have them with the race/class already.

Be sure to have a blessed ring of regeneration in your finger, it's one of the most useful items in the whole game IMO.

How about trying a trollish priest, or a trollish wizard? Get it up to lvl 50, and there you have a nice fighter/spellcaster. :)

Well, I guess that's all I can think of now. Good luck. :)

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin

[Edited 4 times, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 04:17 (GMT -5) by Crimson King]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5737 days, 10 hours, 49 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 05:55 (GMT -5)

About getting stats to 99: The Real J., I think your character was in version 1.0.0. Getting stats to 99 was much easier then. As you mention, blue dragon corpses would always boost your Dex. So would bug corpses, at the cost of Wi. Undead corpses would always raise To but pull your alignment towards chaotic.

Now corpses hardly ever boost stats that are already high. The only such effect I can think of is that kobold shaman corpses always give you +1 Ma (and make you sick). There are also rooms that raise stats - the carrot rooms for Perception and the mud bath rooms for Appearance - but they are rare.

The ring of weakness gets around this problem by temporarily lowering Strength to 2 (but how do you avoid being crushed by your equipment then?) Vile armour lowers Ch and Ap to 1, but that doesn't help because I know of no corpses that raise them. I think those are the only stats that are easy to lower temporarily.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3727 days, 13 hours, 58 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 13:56 (GMT -5)

Re. Ring of weakness: Last I saw, it lowers your strength to 1 when cursed (and it's autocursing). Just drop all your stuff (except for some stomacemptia and some holy water), put on the ring, and eat your giant corpses off the ground.

Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/13/2003 at 13:57 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
Ryan
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 18:03 (GMT -5)

Oh but DAMN the time that would take :)

good stuff. I didn't know that corpse corpses upped toughness.
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 19:47 (GMT -5)

So, what do yall think would be a good race/class? I'm leaning toward mindcrafter because of the unlimited tele and maybe one of the elven races for the age advantage. This way I wouldn't have to worry about a ghost lord getting a lucky hit when I'm at level 1000 or something.

Yes, it's gonna take a while just to prepare. A LONG while. :) I'll just start and take a break every now and then to play another game. I'm not in that big a hurry and I have plenty of time.

Can someone tell me more about starving and boosting stats? I was able to raise le to 45 with CoK while starving. Would this work with other stats? What about sickness?
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 06:23 (GMT -5)

I forgot one thing... You can scum your stats to 99 easily after you've closed the gate. You're carrying heaps of potions of cure poison and potions of exchange at that stage, most likely. Actually all you need is a one potion of exchange and some save-scumming. Start by dipping 9 potions of cure poison to the blessed potion of exchange, and try to get 9 potions of exchange out of them. Then start dipping the rest of your cure poisons to the exchanges, if you don't get !o[attribute], just load the save and start again.

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 8 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 09:32 (GMT -5)

The best class for this is without doubt the necromancer. At levels 1000+ every monster will kill you with a series of critical hits. Just rely on the necromancer lvl 50 class power and have equipment that boosts your toughness over 10.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/14/2003 at 09:32 (GMT -5) by J.]
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7068 days, 2 hours, 13 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 16:21 (GMT -5)

I already have one that im going down the ID with. It was a downloaded one, and i was savescumming. I have closed the gate, and removed all corruptions. Im only at about 190 now, cause i have another one im working on.

One of the things i would do is get many potions of youth or something to protect you from aging. There are a lot of rooms with ghost lords, and Emperor/Master Liches.

Also, you'll need many wands of door creation, as well as all of the keys. WoW aren't too bad either, in case anything gets destroyed. You wont be needing any gold (i dont think you'll make it back up :P) so drop it all. Also, if you havent gotten rid of the si, be sure to do so, it seems to get worse the further down you go (i went with a level 33 one and when i got to ID 50 every level i would go down the si would almost double!)

Well, good luck!

(:
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

I think I'll just stay in the BDC until i get a bunch of wishes. That should be fun. :)

I forgot about scumming for 9 !oGA at a time. That might end up being faster then hunting ogres. Would it work with potions of poison too (9 at a time)? It shouldn't be too hard to make them with the poison hands corruption.

Your idea about necromancer seems good. I'll have to look into that class a little more. I've never gotten one past lvl 12.

Si shouldn't be a problem. I sell it as soon as I get to dwarftown. I don't like carrying a bunch of junk around.

Do you think the wand with 100 charges from the bug temple would be enough? Also, what race/class was that character you dled, Lavos?
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 19:50 (GMT -5)

It is a dwarven assasin (not the best combo for going down the ID) he has needle and sting, which are excellent weapons.

The best way is to find a level with a stairway thats close. If you dont end up on one you can just go back up and go back down.

I keep finding these named great wyrms on almost every level. Is that normal? I posted that in another post and Maelstrom said every great wyrm is named, but i ve found some that werent. They dont even carry that good of items, just a bunch of gold (which isnt really that useful.)

As for the si, i like to keep it for a while, it makes crowning very easy.

And does anyone know how to change the keyboard map? Its really annoying when you have to hit space to show the next line (especially in the ToEF when every step it does that.) I want to make it so i can just press left to skip it. Anyone know how?

(:
Jonesy(Unlogged)
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 21:36 (GMT -5)

Uh.... ADOM-Sage suppresses the TOEF messages. Don't know about anything else.
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 14, 2003 at 22:16 (GMT -5)

Lavos, I know EXACTLY what you mean. That was one of the things I hated most about ADOM when I first started playing. Turns out all you have to do is press CTRL K. You can also set 'Fast_More = true' in adom.cfg (without the '). Now I can play melee fighters without getting bored/angry.

As for crowning and post-crowning, I found a nice strategy for gnomes with gemology. First get yourself a pick axe and a altar. Then just alternate between 'luring live sacrifices onto altar' and 'digging for gems to sacrifice while waiting for monster regeneration'. This way is faster and less tedious then just saccing live monsters. It seemed like every other time I digged, I would find a gem. This is also useful for aspiring champions of balance since they can't sac most animals and insects.

PS I like your name Lavos. Is it from Chrono Trigger?

EDIT: Oops, I forgot to add that pressing CTRL K allows you to press any key at the more prompt instead of just <space> or <enter>. I suppose if I wanted to help I should at least mention the point of my advice. :)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/14/2003 at 22:21 (GMT -5) by Cletus]
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 03:26 (GMT -5)

Cletus: Can potions of poison dipped in 9 heaps? If so, then it's even easier than with potions of cure poison.

Just got myself a heap of 9 potions of gain attributes with my high-elven barbarian, without save-scumming. I just had loads of potions of cure poison and exchange (see the "a question and a suggestion thread on adom section) so it only took time. :)

Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 04:32 (GMT -5)

Well, I just did a quick test with dipping potions into !oEx. The only potions that would dip more then 4 at a time were cure poison, insight, oil, and ultra healing. Oh well, so much for the potions of poison idea. At least I have a use for all those useless potions of insight.

I'll have to do more tests concerning b/u/c status of the stuff I'm dipping. I wonder what would happen if I dipped !oEx's into a !oEx...
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 20:53 (GMT -5)

Yeah, Lavos is from Chrono Trigger Cletus. One of my favorite games (obviously.)

And thanks for the Ctrl + K thing. Its really helpful. The only thing is i normally just use the arrows, not the number pad. Im gonna get used to it now though, It will make playing A lot easier. Thanks!

BTW I dont know what anyone else would think, but i think a chaotic PC would be the easiest. Ive found many rooms filled with white unicorns, and the dwarven assasin is a crowned neutral :( and you know what will happen when his alingment changes. Also, Ki-rins are not too uncommon either, and killing them is a chaotic act.

Im sure you already know this, but be sure to stock up on cooked lizards for your journey. I started with 120 cooked lizards, and now im down to almost 10! of course now im down to eating the corpses of my attackers, while trying to battle greater titans and balors!

(:
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 23:11 (GMT -5)

Chrono Trigger = Best SNES game ever.

Yeah, I remember when I first switched from the arrows to the numpad. It took a while for me to wrap my mind around the concept of moving diagonally. hehe

I developed the habit of pressing <enter> with my pinkie whenever <more> came up. I was killing my right hand whenever I played ADOM. It got to the point where I had to stop playing. Then one day, I accidently pressed CTRL K and saw what it did. It was after this that I actually read the manuel to see what other commands were in there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, if your L would white unicorns still be hostile toward you? I've never seen a Ki-rins so I wouldn't know about those. It seemed like I've always had to initate a fight with a white unicorn though. I usually go for L alighment in my games.

Food I didn't even think about. I'm gonna have to stock up for the lower levels. I guess there wouldn't be much corpses when your just running away from everything.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 15, 2003 at 23:50 (GMT -5)

No im N, or now im N-. there's a thread on
Ki-rins somewhere in this forum. Chrono Trigger is definetely one of the best SNES games ever. FF3 is my second favorite (or FF6 in Japan)

My assasin is down to about level 250. I ran into a room filled with level 5 greater titans! For anyone who has never fought a greater titan you better watch out. My dwarven assasin can take out greater molochs and balors with ease and was still killed in a few hits by this greater titan. Good luck!

(:
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 at 01:11 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I think the melee classes are gonna be out of the question for my attempt. I'll probably not even fight anything once I get to a certain level.

Hmm, I wonder which sign I should start with. Right now I'm debating on either raven or candle. What do yall think?

Could someone supply me with the address for that talent map? I remember seeing it somewhere but now I can't find it.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 8 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 at 04:00 (GMT -5)

The star sign isn't that important but candle is better than raven.

I've once seen a ki-rin. I was lawful and it didn't attack me. Also white unicorns are non-hostile towards lawfuls.

What's the point behind not playing with the numpad? You can't even attack diagonally with the arrows. No point in giving yourself a disadvantage like that.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
buttnugget2
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 at 17:18 (GMT -5)

try seeing how far up in the ID you can go. i've been to lvl -100 before.
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6477 days, 17 hours, 57 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

:). I suggest using an Wadomfed g16p2 char, or one edited via GenTrain. :). This _is_ an exploratory mission, of course?

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

I've decided to do this without hacking. It should be fun to level up my character to the maximum level through in-game methods. I wanted to see if it was possible too.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 16, 2003 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

Your still going to save-scum, right?

(:
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 17, 2003 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

Of course. I would be very very pissed if my lvl 50 character got killed, for ANY reason.

I plan on scumming pools, potions, etc too. Let's see how many skills I can get with a !of education. :)
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 18, 2003 at 20:26 (GMT -5)

So your planning on starting a new character, and closing the gate, and going down the ID. Wow, im lucky to get to the water orb...

(:
Cletus
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 at 02:15 (GMT -5)

I've decided to try either a dark elven necromancer or a high elven mindcrafter. Right now, I'm playing a old savegame of a DE necro to test it out. I'm going to attempt a ultra ending with this guy first. This way I can keep a lookout for anything else I might need too.
Jurne-
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 at 11:03 (GMT -5)

If you become high elven necromancer, make sure you get Food Pres :) I don't think you'll be beating on many monsters at 1000+, so the few you do will need corpses.
Jurne-
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 at 11:05 (GMT -5)

*sigh* I meant high elven mindcrafter, sorry. Maybe I should have logged in...
BTW, Hurthlings have Food Pres :D Good hurthling mindcrafters.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: