Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / The Luck of a Bard

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

7086 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 at 23:28 (GMT -5)

Well, ive heard that bards are lucky, and i havent had much luck with any other PCs, so i decided to try one. This has proven to be one of the luckiest PCs ove ever had.

I started of, and got heir (of course, 7LB.) I decided i would stop by terinyo and get the puppy quest. Unfortunataly, i was almost positive i was dead when i was stopped by some hill orcs. They threw a few spears at me, but (because ive got the 7LBs) i got away. The bard started with detect item status, and found that one of the spears were blesses. I equip it and... its a a blessed orcish spear of devastation (luck #1.) Head off to the puppy cave (after getting the quest) and get some good armor (luck #2) and find a pool. "hey, ive been lucky so far..." i thought. So i took a drink. The second drink i took was a wish! (luck #3) I got an amulet of life saving. I head down to the next level, and i hear "the steps of a royal guard"(luck #4) By now, im level 7 or 8. I walk up to a kobold and kill him, and find 17 griffon-feathered arrows of thunder (luck #5.) Unfortunataly, i could not find a royal guard :(. Found a climbing set (luck #6.) Went down to the bottom, and got the puppy all the way back up safely. Quest done (luck #7.) Now how can i finish all of this up? Well, im already at the very close level to my diety. Going for pre-crowning now, at level 13. At N+, and am doing quite well.

USE BARDS. Well... ok, you dont have to, but they really are lucky!

(:
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5015 days, 18 hours, 49 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at 06:20 (GMT -5)

One of the things you should do if you haven't already is equip the amulet of life saving ;)
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5755 days, 21 hours, 28 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at 06:33 (GMT -5)

I don't think so. If you wear Khelavaster's amulet of life saving, it is likely to be destroyed by a trap. I'd advise you to leave it somewhere safe like the old barbarian's glade, and not pick it up again until you're ready to give it to Khelavaster.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5015 days, 18 hours, 49 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at 06:40 (GMT -5)

Uh... good point.
But it'd be pretty sad if you died while you have an amulet stashed away :p
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at 18:51 (GMT -5)

Its already at the glade. i wasnt planning on wearing it. Besides, hes invincable, right?

(:
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6981 days, 8 hours, 22 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at 20:34 (GMT -5)

so *that's* where my luck has gone to today! i've played maybe 6 characters today, maybe more and those that got anywhere all got killed by really embarrising monsters :(

good luck anyway, not that you need any or i have any to spare :P
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 at 21:51 (GMT -5)

thanks. although, my luck never lasts long with these kinds of PCs. I usually go down a few levels in the CoC and get killed by something like a rat :\.

(:
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 15:29 (GMT -5)

welcome to my world

eg.

my mindcrafter level 1 has but 20 hp left and finds a book. with literacy at 96 i see no problem in giving it a read. a pit open up beneath him. with only 3 hp, i move to another room. the pit opens up beneath him *again* and kills him. not. fair.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3746 days, 37 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 16:07 (GMT -5)

Why are you trying to read spellbooks with level-1 mindcrafters!?! You KNOW mindcrafters can't read spellbooks... it took me several dozen tries for a level-20-something mindcrafter to successfully read Light...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 16:32 (GMT -5)

:O that sucks arse mightily. i don't normally play mindcrafters (probably less than 10 in the 2 years i've been playing), and never found a book with one. why the hell can't they read books? that sucks big time. he was crap anyway
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

Mindcrafters have their own sort of magic, and the sort of mind that's attuned to mindcraft is the total opposite of the spellcaster's mind, to the point that the mindcrafter can't work arcane/clerical spells, except with great difficulty (I did eventually succeed in reading Light), or through extraordinary means (a wand or potion of wonder).

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 19:06 (GMT -5)

man that sucks. are they really that power later on, to balance out the fact they suck so much earlier on in the game?
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

so i've been moaning about luck, but i've jst been playing another mindcrafter (taking your advice and all) and some monster dropped a 50stone battle axe. i though "50 stone battle, tis special, that" so it turns out to be an adamantium battle axe of slaughtering. sweet. more luck was meant that i actually completed the carpenter quest. 2nd level of puppy cave i get a surge of power and a crappy wee hellhound guarding the rune covered club! double sweet!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3107 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 11:35 (GMT -5)

Well, they've got normal weapon marks instead of those doubled that spellcasters get.
And their spells are limitless (you learn them on specific level, and they stay no matter how often you use them). Also, they start with teleport control (that is a class power - you can't loose it to pools).
Their spells are quite nice, not over-powerfull, but can compete with most normal spells.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 11, 2003 at 13:19 (GMT -5)

how do they work with chaotics? my original mindcrafter died at the hands of a god damn
j
. then died again (yeah so i made a back up) at the hands of a plaguebearer. dammit

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/11/2003 at 13:20 (GMT -5) by DaN]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 18:53 (GMT -5)

Hmm.... well, you might try to find a wand of cold. That usually deals with purple j's. And use your telekinetic powers; they won't cause you to be corrupted if you use them on chaos creatures, since they're mentally-produced physical force rather than mental power.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 19:47 (GMT -5)

or just go berserk, and take it out in one hit ;P

(:
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 19:48 (GMT -5)

LOL... yeah, well, I'm used to spellcasters. And spellcasters can't do anything in one hit...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 19:52 (GMT -5)

yeah, i stick with archers and melee fighters. With 7LB of course.

(:
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

but you don't get telekinetic powers til level 13 or so (maybe 15), so you're quite screwed if some dumbass goblin decides to sit on a corruption track on the 2nd level of the village dungeon and gets turned into a WMPC

i'm still not convinced with them though. too many occasions they've been in a situation where they're been under powered in both the melle and magic department and have only just come out of things alive. a tension room of hill giants, ettins and a frost giant wouldn't be too much of a problem for an equivalent level fighter/spellcaster but my mindcaster was taking a trashing even when the were confused. the ettins go down easily to that mind blast thing but the others are problematic. i don't like the way pp cost remains so high. i'd prefer to have finite castings if you could increase strength/decrease cost yourself
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 13, 2003 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

well, the luck just keeps getting better. Not to brag or anything, but....

i just found 2 more pairs of 7LB. better safe than sorry.

found the black tome of alsophocus (dont know if thats good or bad... see post.

found 5 vaults (lesser :( ) in the UD. unfortunately no artifacts.

dropped off my stuff at the clearing. Going to the pyramid. after a few lvls.

ok, thats enough bragging. Im sorry.

(:
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

that ain't fair!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3107 days, 11 hours, 22 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 11:09 (GMT -5)

Don't worry - he'll die a horribly stupid death ;P
That's what happens to all over-lucky characters... :D

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6496 days, 4 hours, 35 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 11:48 (GMT -5)

Quite.

;-).

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:11 (GMT -5)

yeah. i know. i might as well enjoy it while it lasts. i see some kind of deadly rat in the future.

(:
Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2003 at 16:13 (GMT -5)

like the killer bunny in The Holy Grail. shame you can't get a holy handgrenade :p
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 21:48 (GMT -5)

The char.s I have that actually make it are lucky (except that one with the wishes, that was just too damn lucky), and that's later in the game at the beginning they are true wimps with 5 st and 8 toughness.
Lavos
Registered user
Cardiovascular Endurance

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2003 at 23:25 (GMT -5)

my stregnths ok, but my DV/PV are pretty low.

i need some armor.

(:
Egg King
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2003 at 07:53 (GMT -5)

Mind crafters with invis are so wrong. Mosters that cant see invis get smacked with force blast which does not give your position away. You can also stand in the middle of a vault of non-undead/chaos creatures and mind wave them to death, not a scratch, all you have to do is pick up the loot once your finished.
And one of my favs is that mind blast goes though walls and doors, just lock the door and listen to the screams of your dying enemies:)(I once got an artifact from a named thug that normally would have torn me apart with this:)
Be careful though spawning at the wrong times can cause problems with this Strat.
Yeah they suck badly to start with but once you get a source of invis or they survive to lvl 10 or so they become very strong(look at one of there crowning gifts:)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: