Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Tip for the ToEF

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3891 days, 11 hours, 59 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 at 01:56 (GMT -5)

If you have the elemental gauntlets and two rings of ice you can go through the ToEF without losing any items.

This may have posted before I'm not sure, but I posted it anyway.

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 8 hours and 38 minutes ago.
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2003 at 10:33 (GMT -5)

Isn't 100% guaranteed. But if you have two blessed rings of ice, fireproof blankets, are lucky/fate smiling, aren't cursed/doomed, I'd say you're pretty safe :)
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 at 02:13 (GMT -5)

That is an interesting idea but I thought rings of ice are quite rare, I don´t remember having 2 of them in one game... am I right?
jendal
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 at 02:13 (GMT -5)

That is an interesting idea but I thought rings of ice are quite rare, I don´t remember having 2 of them in one game... am I right?
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 at 11:16 (GMT -5)

They're quite rare. If you finish the game you might come across a couple. Sometimes it feels like you can't find anything, but when you find one item (say 7LB's) then the next thing you know they're lying everywhere.

Exaggerated, but there is a theory floating around that if you find an item, then that item is more likely to be found again.

Finding two rings of ice before the ToEF is not very common, but if you decide to waste a wish on them, then you'll of course have more than one.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7293 days, 18 hours, 43 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 at 06:26 (GMT -5)

Uh... Chris...

There are those of us who prefer _not_ to cheat, it ruins the game, makes it too easy, and completely jades all your wonderful efforts to win if you can just get 5 million wands of wishing by copying level files and all that (And it doesn't even WORK in the latest version!)

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7274 days, 18 hours, 9 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

And I personally despise those who cheat,and yet they brag that they accomplished something.And insult others.

As for the ToEF,I'd suggest you to keep your important stuff in your pack(if you have a fireproof blanket,ofcourse).

One thing that annoys me is how quick your items could be lost to fire,acid,water,whatever.The game should really first warn you about it,like 'your scroll starts to drench' or something.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 at 09:52 (GMT -5)

Well, the water problem is only for the early game. There's a guaranteed waterproof blanket in the SMC. Still, a tension/threaten room full of great black wyrms will dissolve pretty much of your stuff...(got one of those in DH:2, didn't have much of a chance:D )

BTW, Chris, I'd like to see how you duplicate an item which you don't have. That, and WTF has hurthlings have to do with finding rings of ice? They have a cursed ring equipped at start, great. Chances of that being a RoI is about the same as a wizard starting with a book of wishing.

Well, they do get a bonus talent so they can get treasure hunter easier, thus increasing the chances of finding something. Oh, but damn, I forgot you don't play 1.1.1 'cause you can't mess with the temp files as easily...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/22/2003 at 09:53 (GMT -5) by J.]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5606 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2003 at 08:33 (GMT -5)

Yes, rings of ice are useful for the ToEF, but it can be done without them. Besides, with just one =oIce item loss still happens and it's quite rare getting two rings at this stage. And with two =oIce it's not so easy to resist the heat damage. I just AGAIN completed the game (well, I haven't left the DC yet, I think I'm going to raise all stats to 99 first) using only RoHK, RoFireResist, elemental gauntlets and couple of fireproof blankets. Sure, I lost some stuff but nothing that couldn't be replaced.

Funnily enough that char reached experience level 50 even before mana temple, thanks to some vaults encountered along way.

Note: High level magic missile is just insanely powerful. The char used mostly MM in ToEF and even fire grues/demons fell to couple of blasts. And in air temple some diamond golems (summoned by the big boss) caused severe grief. Acid ball was useless against them but couple of MMs quickly felled them. ATM that char has MM at effectivity 43 something and molochs drop in something like 6 shots. So ToEF is doable even if one doesn't have decent cold spells.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

7389 days, 21 hours, 34 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 01:19 (GMT -5)

Yes I know I don't play the latest version 1.1.1 for that exact reason J and as for you Anarchy 2 you cant say you've never cheated. And J all you have to do to get a ring of ice is dip any ring into potions of exchange until you get one.
"Such is life" - Ned Kelly

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/17/2003 at 20:21 (GMT -5) by Chris]
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 01:54 (GMT -5)

Damnit.We already KNOW about all those cheats,but try to remember that most of the people in the forums are playing v111.

Sure,I have cheated,but I only do that to test the game or recover from a crash.

And Detect Item Status doesn't identify an item,it only tells you if it's blessed/cursed/or uncursed.

The era of cheating is over,Chris.We prefer to NOT cheat in ADOM,since it provides better satisfaction.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/28/2003 at 01:58 (GMT -5) by Anarchy2]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3592 days, 16 hours, 6 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 03:22 (GMT -5)

A few days ago I got a RoI with a hutling thief.
He waw level 1!!! when he died.
For the Horde!
Möwe
Registered user

Last page view:

6601 days, 19 hours, 47 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 07:02 (GMT -5)

My char is lv 17 now and has three of those rings.
Ok... I'm playing a bard with treasure hunter talent. But since it's a Drakeling, I'll have some other problems to face in the ToEF.

It's not too difficult to do the tower without RoI. The better metals have a good chance of not getting destroyed and with the elemental gauntlets you can even wear rings. Much more challenging is when you don't have a fireproof blanket. :)
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

Fuck this, I had a huge post which got deleted...

Anyways, Chris, read my post you dumbass. I didn't say you couldn't start with a RoI. You'd just have to scum for one for ages. The chances of any char finding a RoI by the time they get to the ToEF are way bigger than starting with one.

Scumming for a char to start with a RoI, so that you could dupe it, is moronic. Just create a char, drop any item in terinyo and hack it into a \oWishing 2^31 charges. Oh yeah, and that works in any version. Duping with temp files doesn't work in the newest versions(which most people play, making posting cheats for old versions useless).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/28/2003 at 08:20 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

Shouldn't this thread be more about ToEF,not RoI?

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 28, 2003 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

Might I ask, when have you seen a topic stay on topic on these forums? :D I did have something sensible to say but managed to lose a long long post.

Yeah, probably should. Though the ToEF probably gets a thread about once a month. It's been done to death quite a few times I think... Have healing stuff, have fireproof blankets, have fire resistance, use dragon slaying ammo, blah blah blah...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/28/2003 at 16:46 (GMT -5) by J.]
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

3268 days, 13 hours, 38 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 01:33 (GMT -5)

...the complete directions are there. All you have to do is read them... having trouble with that?

I find it quite amusing you calling J. a moron. I'd like to know how much time you spend starting and restarting games. It must be fun, not having to worry about playing the game at all.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/14/2003 at 04:59 (GMT -5) by Bezrend]
Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 at 20:17 (GMT -5)

I've only restarted a game once cos my character died of starvation in the minotaur maze I HATE THAT PLACE!

Hey has anyone actually killed the minotaur emporer, gotten his axe and survived long enough to get out of the minotaur maze?
Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 at 20:37 (GMT -5)

All you really need for the ToEF is

1.Fire Resistance lv 3(Essential from eating fire drake or red dragon corpes)
or
Fire Immunity(Recommended from either being crowned champion or wearing the Crown of Science or the Ring of Immunity)

2.Have all your equipment all eternium(Get eternium stuff from Chaos Knights found in the wilderness in the mountains)

p.s there is some stuff that dosen't come in eternium like cloaks and bracers so either don't wear any or wear artifactual items.

or wear 2 blessed Rings of Ice.

3.Have a blessed fireproof blanket.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5018 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

having several fireproof blankets would be better ;)
spenseweeds will also come in handy, esp if you're a fighter
of course, both of those are better when blessed (damn, what isn't?)
i'm not sure, but i think that this is all in teh gb, yeah?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 at 07:27 (GMT -5)

Of course, everything is in the GB :)

Just a note conserning the ToEF, as fire has pretty much to do with the place: recent research indicates that there is only one level of fire resistance you get from corpses; it doesn't matter wether you eat a beetle or a dragon. On rgra someone messed around with the executable and come up with this, among other things.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5018 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 at 01:00 (GMT -5)

really!? that's interesting... but you can still increase resistance with artifacts, rings, etc, yeah?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

Yep, that works. Can't remember how much you need but I'd say if you have fire resistance from 3 or 4 different sources you don't suffer from the background heat of the ToEF on any level.

Agilan
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

can any1 help me? i've been playin adom 4 3 years n i've never won.my biggest break was a dwarven wizard.lv 26.but i'm stuck. how do i kill d Ancient Great Wyrm? i kilt all d small fries but dis guy is tough.whenever i cast frost bolt on him he'll confuse me n kill me.i've tried all other ways but dis guy is awesome. i dun hav d RoI.how i kill Himmmm????????
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 20:00 (GMT -5)

Impressive typing. 43 years, you say?

You mean the Ancient Chaos Wyrm, in the ToEF? If confusion is your problem, things like a Ring or Helm of Mental Stability, that provide resistance to confusion, would help. You're right to attack with ranged attacks, like Frost Bolt - Dragon Slaying ammo is also good. Perhaps you just need to get a bit more experience, and get a high efficiency with spells like Frost Bolt and Ice Ball. Immunity to fire is, of course, great for everywhere in the ToEF, and anywhere else.

Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3110 days, 9 hours, 12 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 at 09:51 (GMT -5)

From what I understand, his main problem is VERY low Willpower. His bolts are weak, he gets confused a lot, and for a long time.
Get more willpower, you can't run around with a Wi lower than 15, 25 is advised and easy to obtain.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 at 07:36 (GMT -5)

You can get Wi:25 from herbs, and wearing the Orb of Water in your tool slot boosts that with 10 making your effective willpower 35. Pretty good, I'd say.

Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

Alas, how to get the Orb of Water before getting the Orb of Fire?

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2004 at 12:57 (GMT -5)

The water temple is above the fire portal. A few levels under the forest.
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

And I thought I was being clever.

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: