Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Acquiring Artifacts

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7281 days, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 02:55 (GMT -5)

How and where do you get your artifacts?

I've been having a hard time finding artifacts lately,and I desperately need one!Or two :).

Most of the time,I'll find artifacts; but I don't even know that they ARE artifacts!When I died,I checked my inventory and found a depressingly good number of artifacts.How can I miss all of this?Uhh,anyway-I'll stop my ranting.So,just how exactly do you acquire artifacts-effectively?

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
Hobo 47
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 05:56 (GMT -5)

It is almost guaranteed to find some in greater vaults, although you may find gold instead (usually around 30 000 gp). There are some guaranteed artifacts. If not, look in water dragon lair, Darkforge. U also get a random artifact by throwing a potion of uselesness on D49.
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 06:14 (GMT -5)

Problem is; I'm a bastard and I'm too lazy(and depressed.don't forget depressed!)to go to those places.Heck,the farthest place I've been is the Arena(and a few levels below it)before getting consumed by some disgusting monster.

Back to topic: I can get a random artifact by throwing a potion of uselessnes in D49?What do you mean by that?I should throw the potion on the floor,and an artifact will appear?Nifty.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/13/2003 at 06:14 (GMT -5) by Anarchy2]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 10 hours, 51 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 06:22 (GMT -5)

Anarchy2: (re: L49 artifact):

It's not quite like that. Rather you need to throw the potion to some direction (e.g. to the right) so that the reverse force propels you in the opposite direction. I'm not sure but IIRC the potion shouldn't hit a wall.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5663 days, 22 hours, 48 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2003 at 13:07 (GMT -5)

I'm not sure about the wall, but I also think that you'll have to move a bit. After that your diety will reward you with a random artifact. Something along the lines of: "Mortal, ye hast found a use for this petty item!" etc. :)

Some artifacts are easy to recognize. Their weight differs from normal items, also their colour when they're lying on the floor. They might also have a describtion totally different from anything else. For example, if you find a "rune-covered club", you'll know it's the Skullcrusher even before identifying it.

There are quite a few guaranteed artifacts in the game. Rune-covered trident, Trident of the Red Rooster, Needle, Sting, Moon sickle, the Orbs, Chaos trinity items, shield&necklace of raw steel, etc. Read through the walkthrough in the Guidebook and along the way ways to get most of these, and also others, will be described.

Getting pre-/post-/just plain crowned will net you an artifact. Get to level 11, harvest TONS of stomafillia, get precrowned twice (don't be C-, N= or L+) and you'll have two artifacts. Then sacrifice more stomafillia, loads of it, get crowned (BE N= or L+) and you'll receive a third. Boring? Yes. Makes the game a bit easier? Yes. Makes it impossible to do a special ending? Yes. Three artifacts is good in the early game, because it doesn't increase your food consumption yet (1+3*.25=1(rounded down)(for crowned chars)

Just make sure you haven't found a single artifact before getting to lvl 11, and don't get crowned before the two precrownings. That's because the prerequisite for getting precrowned you'll have to be char level of 8+3*no. artifacts generated. There's no level requirement for getting crowned, so you can get crowned at the same level. If you got crowned first, then went for a postcrowning, you could only do it once, and have only two artifacts early.

Also, don't get crowned chaotic that early in the game. You'll most certainly die because of corruption. And don't EVER, NEVER use ANY artifact that "contains the essence of chaos and corruption". Kick them around the floor, or have a monster pick them up and follow you, if you need to move them around, mostly just avoid them.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/13/2003 at 13:11 (GMT -5) by J.]
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7311 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 02:52 (GMT -5)

I've never really gotten that pre-crowning stuff. Do you still get an artifact for pre-crowning?

You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 10 hours, 51 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 03:58 (GMT -5)

Yes, you will get an artifact in precrowning. But you will not get an immunity or permanent blessing and the precrowning gift is completely random (unlike the crowning gift which is class-dependent and chosen from a small bunch of possible options). Thus, after saccing e.g. some 100 stomafillia for precrowning, you could get the black f**king tome of a**ef**kus.

One question: apparently it is easier for a lawful char to get precrowning than to a neutral one, since saccing a lot in neutral altar tends to move one extremely close to Foo, am I right ? Of course one could do for instance:

-Sac at the dwarfwille altar until extremely close
-Lure one dwarf out of dwarfwille and kill him/her
-ASAP return and pray

The way I see it killing that dwarf would cause an alignment drop big enough to put the char out of N=, right ?
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 10:40 (GMT -5)

Yep, it isn't too difficult to lower your status from N= to N-. Just attack a nonhostile monster. Even easier in situations where a town is near, like you described.

We all know you have to sac more and more after each <foo>crowning to get the next one. What if you go for your first precrowning as C and get the next precrowning from the neutral god, do you still have to sac more than the first time or does it just get more and more difficult to please a certain god? My guess would be that alignment doesn't matter, but which way is it? I've certainly thought of this question before, but I'm not sure if it's been answered.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 12:40 (GMT -5)

well i think i can shed a little light on this. Right now I have a char who was precrowned twice as chaotic. After that, when I sacced 10 gp at a neutral altar, I was hit by an bolt of true matter or energy or something. This happened a few times. Luckily i survived and became neutral. I saved khelly, since the first amulet i found was an AoLS. Eventually I will go for the Crowning and let you all know what happened.

Also as far as the 8 + 3n thing, its also fun in my opinion to get the strange item, and wait until level 14 for your two precrowning. This means you can still get those two random artifacts before entering into the pyramid, and you may be able to do it quicker with all of those duplicating SIs.

And another thing, getting 3 precrownings is such a bitch that I gave up before it actually happened.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

Also, after those 3 precrownings getting crowned would be a bit more of a bitch :)

I've once gotten 14 precrownings with an orcish beastfighter. He leveled up a bit in the SMC killing random monsters, wyrms and such, getting some artifacts, untill he was strong enough to bash down greater molochs, then leveled up by killing those and always sacrificed more gold when another 3 levels higher. BTW, level 120 greater molochs hit 12 critical hits every turn doing thousands of damage. That's quite a lot. :P

Generating many chars before getting that altar generated there, and a WoWi 2000000000 charges helped.

Trust me, getting crowned after those 14 precrownings was difficult. While the first precrowning at level 8 probably took about 50000 gold, the 15th crowning probably took something like 50 million. Maybe I ought to do it again and try to look for some sort of pattern with how much more you need for every crowning.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/14/2003 at 16:08 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5025 days, 6 hours, 51 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2003 at 21:01 (GMT -5)

isn't there something like this in the GB?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 at 04:53 (GMT -5)

Actually, yes there is. Didn't remember that. Great, wouldn't have done it anyway, too lazy for things like that:)

Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

3275 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 01:37 (GMT -5)

In my... months? of playing, I've still not found a greater vault. It sickens me. Although, most of my characters don't manage to even get to the CoC, preferring to die in the most idiotic way possible I HATE THEM

Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

If you hate them,you will channel negative energy into their petty little minds,forcing various misfortunes to randomly happen in the game.

That's probably why I never won the game. :(

Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

Me too. Anything bad happens, it's not my fault - it's the character. Create an acid trap and walk onto it: DAMN CHARACTER. Get the Ring of the Master Cat, then find a cave lion, chat with it, then kick it, killing it? CHARACTER DID IT

Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

Yeah!And why the hell does the message 'Are you sure you want to attack the <foo>?' appear everytime I bump into someone?I don't kill people who bump into me! >:(

We should blame everything on the character for being so lousy and pathetic."Hey,why the hell did you missed that monster?You could have hitted!" >:(

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 12/14/2003 at 08:23 (GMT -5) by Anarchy2]
Bezrend
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

The game's just afraid of our raw power!

Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 08:59 (GMT -5)

Yes!We are far more superior than it's puny system.

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 11:17 (GMT -5)

And still it beats us almost everytime.... something ain't right. I hate and love this game.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2003 at 13:18 (GMT -5)

Bezrend, you'll have a chance of finding those greater vaults when you reach D:40 or so... So wait a little :)

You can avoid getting the "really want to attack blah blah"- message by changing your tactics to berserk and taking off your helm, armour, boots, girle and gauntlets. I think you can wear bracers, and you can use rings and an amulet. However, this doesn't work with monks.

LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7311 days, 19 hours, 55 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 at 00:38 (GMT -5)

The three rules of having many artifacts; Precrown, precrown, precrown.

And though I wouldn't have believed this until yesterday, sometimes artifacts are generated in normal vaults. Jet Black Battle Axe "Executor" :) probably something to do with danger level.

Black Torc, Golden Gladius, Big Punch, Sword of Nonnak, the Ankh and the Ancient Mummy Wrapping, Moon Sickle, Rune Covered Trident, are all both guaranteed and easy to get. Check Andy Williams Adom Guidebook.

You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
taz unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

so you usually dont get more than 3 greater vaults per game? i mean, it's not very far from D:40 to D:50, is it? i dont konw why, but i always thought those were 'fairly common' once you got in a dangerous enough place.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

Well, each one of them contains like 1 or 2 artifacts, plus you'll get a huge amount of other stuff and experience and weapon marks out of them, you wouldn't want to make the game too easy by putting too many of those in. 2 or 3 is enough, IMO.

And, 3 big vaults in 10 levels, isn't that "fairly common", like 1 every 3 levels? You don't get that many lesser vaults anywhere, besides the UD with a bit of luck.

Though the first two times I completed the game (with savescumming) I didn't get one single greater vault, and thought they were extremely uncommon.

Getting 2 precrownings is always a good thing to do, and quite easy if frustrating and time consuming. Just gather a couple of thousand stomafillia and you're done(you don't actually need that many). Don't do the druid quest for the black torc and don't go far down the CoC to get the si, so it's possible to precrown at an earlier level, 8 and 11 at best.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/15/2003 at 08:09 (GMT -5) by J.]
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 17, 2003 at 20:06 (GMT -5)

Precrowning is actually ridiculously easy for a halfling fighter type with 100 food preservation. Go on a killing spree on a cave level, gather corpses, cook them, and sacrifice. I did three precrownings in one evening (about 2-3 hours of play)
Marillion not logged
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 at 09:02 (GMT -5)

I usually restart until I get the "Longlost brother" birthmessage. Mainly because I think the game has more to offer then. Vaults, shops etc.
And If lucky, a white altar is generated in the puppy cave or DD. Then aboute one hour gives 3 precrownings due to live saccing.
Problem with neutral altars is that most monsters are neutral so it won't be appriciated to sacc them.
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 at 10:09 (GMT -5)

Has anyone tried to create the most luckiest character ever?Start in Creator's Day,bard class,Treasure Hunter,the 'Longlost brother' birthmessage,the Ankh,rings of luck,etc,etc...

HUZZAH.I just found tons of artifacts with my recent character,and that really made my day(although most of the artifacts were useless).

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/18/2003 at 10:11 (GMT -5) by Anarchy2]
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6460 days, 1 hour, 55 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2003 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

There is no useless artifact. They just seem useless. There's always a use...

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5025 days, 6 hours, 51 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

as a last resort, sell them :P that's what you can do with anything that you think you dont need.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: