Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Snow capped Mountains

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

mike2
Registered user

Last page view:

8245 days, 15 hours, 58 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 00:20 (GMT -5)

Snowy mtns. Has anyone found the magic needed to climb them?
Dezertir
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 03:33 (GMT -5)

AFAIK nobody - all spells are known. May be in latest version there will be smth like magic climbing set?
If you'd see a map of Drakalor you'll find some large unknown regions beyond these mnts, especially in NW. May be they are reserved by TB for additional locations? RRI? :-)))
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 15 hours, 45 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

I think those mountains are meant to be "unclimbable" the reference to magic is just flavour text.

The magical climbing set is an interesting idea though. Good way to squeeze in a few more locations on the map at some point. That magical climbing set would have to be an artefact given as a reward for some high level quest though. Otherwise the library (and to some extent the HMV) would become to accessable (you could just forget about risking the rift and the SMC, and wish for the magical climbing set instead)...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4695 days, 14 hours, 44 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

I think Jan is right. Those mountains are used by TB as a barrier to keep people from short cutting to the library or HMV
mike2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

The magical climbing set is a *very* good idea. But it would be an artifact item loacted in the Rift. Since low-level PC's can't enter the Rift, you would have to go through the SMC to get to the HMV. But high level ones could just use the magic climbing set to get there. This means that you still would need to do the Rift once. That way the Rift must be done to get this item. If you try to climb the mountains at the edge of the map, you should get the prompt for leaving the Drakalor Chain like when you go through the pass that leads out (mountains on the edge are those where the map ends (no more map)). Somone should send this to TB.
mike2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2001 at 16:02 (GMT -5)

somone = Someone (typo)
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7649 days, 16 hours, 27 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

mike, you can *edit* your messges in this forum, after you're posted them

about snow-capped mountains: I think "magic" mentioned by TB is just a word, it means nothing... but imagine what else could he write... "These mountains are even more high than the dark ones"?? lol
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 at 13:00 (GMT -5)

High level characters shouldn't be able to short cut to the HMV. If a player takes to long to get to the HMV, then he has to contend with the super charged monsters in the SMC.
mike2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 at 14:51 (GMT -5)

Send the magic climbing set idea to TB, but with an addition: If the PC tries to climb the mountains around the HMV, it will display a message "Some mysterious force prevents you from climbing the mountains" or something, and just not let the character pass those mountains into the HMV. Someone should send this to TB. Attach the above to the magical climbing set post.
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7897 days, 3 hours, 48 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2001 at 16:58 (GMT -5)

Why would anyone want a magic climbing set anyway? All it gives you is an alternative route to the library, which you rarely visit more than once, and the HMV, which you can reach much faster (game time vise) via the shortcut. Time passes much faster when you roam around in the wilderness as we all now. :)

Something that could raise the attration value of the magic climbling is the following feature: If you have the magic climbling set, you can *never* fail a climbing, which can happen with a cursed regular climbling set and/or low score in the climbing skill.

Just my thoughts blurted out in a haste. :)

Locke Cole
Stas
Registered user
The Dark Lord Melkor

Last page view:

7649 days, 16 hours, 27 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2001 at 08:44 (GMT -5)

Lockes idea is better... Climbing over white mountains isn't that great...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger"
Lord of The Rings

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will anger the cat lord"

Portrait
Ade
Registered user
Being perverse is bad

Last page view:

7705 days, 15 hours, 46 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2001 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

Nah, magical climbing set is a bad idea - Where's all the excitement when you know you CAN NOT fall?? That's the funniest part of the climbing progress: "Your hands slip and you fall..." Hah! Now that's something. If there was a magical climbing set which could prevent all of your falls the game would lose much of excitement and fun, and plus that, it would be totally gay.

You make my life and times
A book of bluesy saturdays
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2001 at 09:07 (GMT -5)

I agree that it schouldn't be unfallable, the only reason I like the Magical Climbing Set idea was that it would make all the map accessable (at some point) and that way it would be possible to suqeeze in a couple of new locatins at some point in the future withint having to squeeze them in on the plains like everyting else...

The set itself schould not be any better than a normal one (except that it could be used to cross those realy high montians, and it can't be broken (because it has to be an artefact so you can't wish for it)).

This Volcano place there have been some talk about could for example be placed somewhere in the deep mountains (would be a logical place after all) and it could only be reached after you have completed the quest that grant you the Magical Climbing Set... That was what I menat when I said I liked the climbing set idea. I totaly agree that it schouldn't be to the climbing set what the silver key is to keys.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 23, 2001 at 18:36 (GMT -5)

Maybe the set would weight less too. After all, it is an artifect. And artifects generally weight less compared to plain items of the same type. :)

Ade: Let us see if you laugh when you lose something very important just because you had a cursed climbing set and/or low climbing skill score. Say, all your SoCR? I wonder if you laugh when you lose a most promising PC 'cus of the same reason... hehe And I don't quite understand what's so totally gay about the idea Ade. Care to explain? :)

Of course, giving the PC a chance to climb the higher parts of the mountains could give TB more space for new places. Like the vulcano as Jan Erik took as example. How about this: The magic climbing set would differ from all the other artifects in one way: After x uses of it, it would vanish. Or be of no use to the PC. Transform into a regular climbing set maybe. That way, the PC would have to make a choice if he/she want to use the "charges" (or whatever one could call it) to make an easy trip to the library, HMV, whatever. Or to climb to, for example, the vulcano.

Locke Cole
Portrait
Ade
Registered user
Being perverse is bad

Last page view:

7705 days, 15 hours, 46 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 at 08:20 (GMT -5)

Heheh, my point was not to let the game stay funnier, but more exciting. Well, in fact I HAVE lost a level 25+ orcish beastfighter by falling off a mountain with a cursed climbing set. In fact, he fell many times but I just wasn't patient enough to let him wait for healing. And yes, before he died he DID lose much of his precious stuff. Then it wasn't funny but nowadays thinking about it might make me smile for a bit.. Well, that's just me, the old masochist (it's the spiritual torture that nothing cannot beat! ;) )
But now I wandered too far. Like I said, it's not perhaps funny but at least the change of falling brings the EXCITEMENT and FLAVOUR into the game.

And by 'gay', I didn't mean 'homosexual' (well, perhaps a little bit...) but 'happy'. The game mustn't be too happy. The ultimate state of pissing-off is just something. Every game needs it.

You make my life and times
A book of bluesy saturdays
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 at 10:30 (GMT -5)

Jan: TB already has a way of openning up previously unreachable sections of the map:
When you trigger certain events (asking the ancient dwarf about the Portal, getting the Unicorn Quest from the Druid, Talking to the White Unicorn, Talking to the Minstrel after killing Filk, reaching the HMV, any others?) new entrances appear on the map.

All he would have to do for the volcano would be create an entrance to a new cave, and have the exit be by the volcano.

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 at 13:02 (GMT -5)

Ade: Ah yeah, more exciting. Well, I agree, the risks of falling while climbing in the mountains add to the realism and excitment. But on the other hand, the magic climbing set shouldn't be that easy to get either. And due to the fact that it would be located in the rift, any PC will have to wait till he/she can climb down the rift, which will probably be during the mid or late game. And how many use climbing after having visited ToHK and the library? Not many I'd say. Unless the magic climbing set and one or two new places were introduced. What I am trying to say here is that climbing sets is only used at a minimum rate during a game. Thus taking away the "excitment" of falling during climbing doesn't take away that much of the total excitment.

Ah well, why not just skip the never-fall feature on the magic climbing set. How about just make it more hard to fall when u have the magic climbing set? :)

Caladriel: That way of opening up previously unreachable sections is so... regular, so normal. Wouldn't it be more interesting to have a new way of reaching those unreachable sections? :) Also, by adding in a must-have-certain-artifect element will add more to the challange to reach, for example, the volcano. IMHO of course. :)

Locke Cole
Portrait
Schnitzelnator
Registered user

Last page view:

8174 days, 19 hours, 58 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2001 at 10:25 (GMT -5)

magical climbing set in library ---> good idea

use it to access previously unreachable points on the map ---> good idea

"charges" for the climbing set ---> bad idea ;)

I just had another brainfart BTW... I suppose everyone here has already heard about the "Ultimate Nihilist Ending" RFE. Now what if this meteor/volcano/cave/whatever (where the seed of destruction is located) would only be accessable through the magical climbing set?

m00.
Dezertir
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 at 03:47 (GMT -5)

What is UNE???
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

UNE = Ultra Neutral Ending. You go get a few special artifects, enter the chaos gate and slay Andor Drakon, the chaos god, while being crowned champion of Balance. There's a few requirements in order to survive the chaos gate though. For a champion of Balance: Be extremly corrupted, wear crown of chaos, medal of chaos and the trident of the red rooster. And you cannot be a fallen champion, of course.

Locke Cole
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

I think he may have been refering to the Ultimate Nihilist Ending...

That one is a suggestion for an ending where you basicaly cause the complete destruction of the entire universe. At least that's what I seem to remember without looking up the RFE.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Schnitzelnator
Registered user

Last page view:

8174 days, 19 hours, 58 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

Yep, that's the one I meant :-)

m00.
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

Oh ok. Oh well. Kinda easy to mix up sometimes I 'spose. :)

Locke Cole
MIndstorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2001 at 14:12 (GMT -5)

BTW it's possible to look beyond all of these unclimbable mountains by using of blessed gem of knowlege at wilderness. It was the way my first char crossing 20 lvls got to know where Sinister Library of Niltras was located. Ehhh... Good old times... I was so stupid then, that mentioned earlier my gray elven druid (l50 then), coming to 48 CoC *dropped* four orbs (0.9g9)
on altars instead of using them and was very disappointed when nothing happened. She went up when lost patience and spare foodstuff, went into
wilderness and ended her life as violet "j". Laughable, don't you think?

[Edited at 14:13, Thursday, November 22, 2001 by its autor]
Piraten
Registered user

Last page view:

8177 days, 22 hours, 3 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2001 at 08:56 (GMT -5)

i think its a sad story

/I wish u could play as a pirate in ADOM!!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: