Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / smithing

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5022 days, 23 hours, 45 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

i'm under the impression that we can melt down items into ingots. true or false? looked in the guidebook but it wasn't very helpful.

i hope i get an answer before i go back to my dorm, lol. i have adom in my dorm computer and internet access in my home computer (which i get to use once a week or something)

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 07:32 (GMT -5)

weaponsmiths get this as a class power at a certain level, i forget which. Invoke the info on classes and read on the weaponsmiths, it should tell you.

I tried it, but you need to melt a bunch of stuff to get and ingot. You cant just melt and eternium arrow and use it to smith, dig?

It works like this: select a bunch of items from your inventory that you want to melt, and it will tell you if you made an ingot (or multiple?)

are you at your dorm yet ? ;)
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6503 days, 9 hours, 31 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 07:41 (GMT -5)

Level 6 for wepsmiths. Use it to get rid of all those spears that traps make.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie
taz unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 08:50 (GMT -5)

no, going back to my dorm tomorrow morning, but it's already late night right now :P

so i can't melt down items if i'm a dwarven paladin? and i was lugging around all those adamantinium and mithril quarrels to the nearest forge for nothing... but thanks anyway guys.

i did make a whole bunch of ingots from pieces of ore though.

i'm gonna experiment on improving my spear of devastation. it doesn't seem to be made from a specific metal so i'll see what it works (starting with cheap iron, lol).
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5661 days, 15 hours, 43 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 at 13:00 (GMT -5)

You can tell it by how much it weighs. Iron spears weigh 50s, mithril 40, admantium something and eternium 25.

In this case, it's made of iron, otherwise it would say "mithril spear of devastation".

And no, you can't melt items with your paladin.

BTW, back in the day you could melt artifacts into ingots with weaponsmiths. Is the bug still there?

Melting items is the most useful for iron items. Eternium items usually weigh half of that, so you basically get half the ignots as well!
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/9/2003 at 13:02 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6718 days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 07:57 (GMT -5)

no. The si is made of adamantium, but I couldn't melt it because the game said I don't have the power ot work on artifacts. I'td be a bit too powerful...

And my point was...
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2003 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

Good. I recall it was possible in some early version. Quite frustrating when you discover you have accidentally melted something important and find a silvery eternium ingot "Vanquisher" in your inventory! :D

Note that I've never done that and have no idea what the result of melting artifacts looks like. Just thought that the name would stay as in the new versions the pre/suffixes stay when melting items. That's probably not intentional and is a bug as those pre/suffixes don't then transfer into items you improve with them.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Chris
Registered user
The One The Only

Last page view:

7394 days, 4 hours, 39 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 00:04 (GMT -5)

I think smithing is over rated and takes too long all you need is blessed scrolls of Increase melee damage and Accuracy and you can make weapons more powerful than the TotRR cos it's stats are
(+36 6d12+18) [+12,+12]
and I have weapons like 2 blessed long swords of slaughtering (+50 3d50+10) and I know the TotRR gives you all the immunities and water breathing instricts but it takes too long to get.
"Such is life" - Ned Kelly
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 01:56 (GMT -5)

Would like to see that +50 to hit sword...

With smithing, you easily get awesome pv and dv values, not overrated IMO.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5611 days, 3 hours, 45 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 02:37 (GMT -5)

Actually, any character with fire spell can melt iron items to ingots, though usually they just melt away and it will anyway take a lot of tries.

I have been having some extra fun with that wannabe-archmage melting pre/suffixed iron items to ingots. Item loss is terrible but I still do have some interesting ingots stored away. How about a masterwork iron ingot ? Or a fragile iron ingot ? Or a corrupting iron ingot ? Or a light iron ingot ?

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7433 days, 22 hours, 6 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 03:25 (GMT -5)

Are u serious? The prefix/suffix sticks w/ the ingot? Whoa.. BTW I haven't ever seen any EQ melt into ingots, it must be quite rare. Although I usually refuse to use fire/acid bolts, 'cos I wanna get the items not melted :D

Icesus
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 04:16 (GMT -5)

Ass whisper: Yes, I'm serious. The prefixes and suffixes DO stay with the ingots. And yes, it is rare that items melt to ingots. The message for that is (IIRC) "Something on the ground melts down into a puddle of metal." Mostly the items just melt away and it seems that only iron items can be melted that way.

As for the item loss, that's why I like magic missile. It doesn't destroy items and apparently no monster can resist it. IIRC, with that über-mage I even killed Nuraag-Varn (?) with magic missile.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5022 days, 23 hours, 45 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 06:05 (GMT -5)

magic missile can still be shrugged off though. or maybe my dwarven paladin cant cast it properly :P

i was burning items for fun (read a blessed scroll of identify, dropped everything that was useless, cast hellish flames across it) and ran into the 291 bug halfway through the "something on the ground is burned away" messages. good thing i had a back up (ok, ok, more like a back up in case i die, which, i'm proud to say, hasn't happened yet with my level 21 dwarven paladin... but still, i still take extra risks cuz i know i have that back up).

you're sure that higher metal items cant be melted into ingots?

EQ? what's taht?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Ass Whisper
Registered user
the Orcish Bard

Last page view:

7433 days, 22 hours, 6 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 07:35 (GMT -5)

EQ = equipment

Icesus
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 07:57 (GMT -5)

Taz: I'm not sure about higher metals, but IIRC I have yet not managed to melt mithril/adamantium/eternium items with fire ball/bolt. Then again I have not tried it for a while. Now that I have fire ball at 50+ and fire bolt at about the same level it just might be possible to melt at least mithril.

Haven't been using spells for slaughtering dragons for a while (except for death ray when stuck between two of them). Lately I've been using a zig-zag corridor like this

##########
#.#.#.#.#.
.#.#.#.#.#
##########

and meleeing the dragons. Extremely experienced ancient blue dragons give ridiculous amount of weapon marks - I raised my dagger skill (using the twins) in a relatively short time by some 15000 points. It would seem that one melee round gives easily more than 10 points IIRC. I guess I'm gonna raise my dagger skill (twins), maces/flails (dual-wielded maces of destruction) and swords (dual-wielded swords of sharpness) skills to grand mastery some time. With daggers it shouldn't take long, with only <5000 points to go. Maces will take a little longer, being only at around level 11 ATM, and swords longer still...

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 14:31 (GMT -5)

Chris, I'd like to see you get those 400 scrolls you need for that sword WITHOUT cheating. At least when no scrolls increase the dice damage, so that 3d50 is impossible...

One of smithing's best uses is for moloch armours. They have -20DV which is very easy to raise to +5 or so, and only takes eternium ingots.

Man, J., your WIZARD is starting to have many grand masteries, geesh. Definately post your vlg to the HoF when you decide to finish that game.

Didn't see it mentioned here, so just in case anyone was wondering, if you melt an item with a prefix into an ingot, all it's good for is that it has a nice name. Using pre/suffixed ingots to improve items is nothing different than using normal ingots, and the pre/suffixes don't transfer to the item they're used to improve.

Like others, I've never seen items made of higher metals melt into ingots when blasted with fire. It could be possible though, at least mithril can be burnt, though they're more resistant than iron items.

Sigh, I get good grades for my english essays but all these posts of mine seem to be really cluttered and messy. Hope someone understood something I was trying to say.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/12/2003 at 14:36 (GMT -5) by J.]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

About moloch armor: My current char is wearing one. I actually used lots of scrolls of defense to raise the DV to +7. That char has a DV/PV of something like 64/104 on berserk when dual wielding the twins.

Oh, and I just raised dagger skill to grand mastery. Now I'm raising maces/flails by dual wielding maces of destruction. ATM mace/flail skill is at level 13 so it's gonna take a while. But since every hit on a ABD seems to net about 12 melee points it shouldn't take THAT long...

Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6503 days, 9 hours, 31 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

It's only possible to get that high of a damage by cheating, Chris. I've tried it, it's only possible by hexediting/memory editing.

Heh. I like this memory edited weapon that I made a while ago.

murderous eternium warhammer of devastation (+65, 9d10+54) [+17, +13]

You could *NEVER* get a weapon like that without cheating, whether via getting lots of wishes, or editing the # of scrolls, or just hacking the weapon itself.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/12/2003 at 19:54 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

Indeed. With smithing and scrolls there is a limit after which they no longer do anything/only improve the item VERY rarely. So you would need to read 10k+ scrolls from which maybe 10 would do anything. I've tried...read a few hundred, maybe a thousand scrolls of defense on an already smithed/scrolled armor. I think it was elven mail. was something like +19+21. Very rare to get any effect from scrolls in that point.
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7309 days, 12 hours, 49 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2003 at 20:36 (GMT -5)

In the newest version, same goes for a lot of things. GCBs don't give the speed bonus regularly AT ALL when you get to about 150.

You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
taz unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2003 at 06:54 (GMT -5)

so it seems like you need a high level fire spell to melt higher metals? can they be burned away/destroyed with any fire spell? i should try this out when i play again.

LarrackG, nice sig :P
J, I got your points, lol

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: