Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / vortexes and traps

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5024 days, 19 hours, 13 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 07:01 (GMT -5)

anyone notice how vortexes usually dont walk straight? I was trying to avoid one today. I was in a room with an acid trap and arrow trap and a lightning vortex. I didn't let it get close to me (born in month of raven, so speed pretty good) and tried to get it to step on the traps to weaken it then kill with one blow. But the stupid thing NEVER STEPPED ON A SINGLE TRAP!

When the trap was right between us, it'd move diagonally towards me instead of straight towards me and into the trap.

So, do vortexes actually avoid traps, or was i just unlucky?

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6459 days, 14 hours, 17 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 14:26 (GMT -5)

I don't know if it's a random movement thing or not, but I have noticed the same type of behavior with some beasties (not just Vortices) when trying to lure them on to altars. Some will walk directly on to the altar, while others will go around in circles with you and not step on the altar. Same monster type will act in both ways. One time the orc runs right over the altar (or trap), then the next orc avoids it like the plague.

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6518 days, 12 hours, 24 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 16:21 (GMT -5)

I sometimes get the feeling those monsters don't want to be in a line with you. I notice it fairly often when i want to kill a monster with a bolt spell, they'll avoid giving you the oppurtunity to hit them.
That's my theory.

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
LarrackG
Registered user
DragonWindGodFist

Last page view:

7311 days, 8 hours, 17 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 22:29 (GMT -5)

Some kinds of monster, guys. Hill Orc Seargents will hardly EVER step on an altar. They're too smart. Also harder to line up with bolt spells. Quickling Kings will hit you multiple times, then STEP BACK WITH THEIR LAST ACTION, so you can't hit them. Some of these bastards are VERY intelligent enemies.

But the thing about vortices, is that they seem to have difficulty actually percieving you - as if you had high stealth skill. Often they will come straight at you and then move in a different direction for no apparent reason.

You pick up the Blessed Amulet of Life Saving. Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, slowly turns toward you.

"That will cost you..
..your soul"
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5024 days, 19 hours, 13 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 at 23:12 (GMT -5)

yeah, quicklings are annoying, hit and run. the few i've met are permanently 'afra'd, so they hit and run or shoot from 2 squares away.
dorn beasts also avoid line of fire from bolt spells, if i remember right.
oh, and teh vortex did finally step on the trap but it avoided the acid.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Tanthalas Pathfinder
Registered user
aka Tanthie

Last page view:

7053 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

The emperor moloch tries to avoid your bolt spells too, it seems. Actually, the moloch moves diagonally every time it's possible. Quite evil for an elementalist or a wizard or something like that. :(

Though, if you want beat it in melee (and you are at least twice as fast as it is), you can move diagonally yourself and keep jumping between two points rather than escaping always into tunnels where some other monster can block your way.

The 'hit-and-run-diagonally tactics' brought to you by Tanthie. :P

"When watching anime, never worry about the consequences."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/30/2003 at 10:42 (GMT -5) by Tanthalas Pathfinder]
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6719 days, 21 hours, 1 minute and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 at 09:25 (GMT -5)

it's all molochs, vortices, dorn beasts, killer bugs, not sure if GCBs... you can boltīm easily if outdoors.

And my point was...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: