Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Read the whole book?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7033 days, 12 hours, 55 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 10:39 (GMT -5)

Heyas - I don't know which is a better strategy for spellcasters: read the whole book as soon as you get it, or read once, learn the spell, and hang onto the book, so you can read it again after you've forgotten the spell?

Other than the encumbrance of the books, is there a difference? Will you be able to cast the spell more times one way or the other?

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Marillioin *u*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 10:51 (GMT -5)

I always just read as much as I need then store the books somewhere safe, i.e. Mad Ministrels/Barbarians.

And when I decide to read I try to find a room with the "shelves of books"-message and if possible drink a !oPL.

EDIT:
As far as casting from books the spell wont ever ware out.
But the downside is more expencive in PP, depending on different things such as Talent and equipment. And it takes longer time so It's not recommended in battle.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/10/2004 at 10:53 (GMT -5) by its author]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5015 days, 22 hours, 4 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 10:51 (GMT -5)

if nothing happens to teh book (eg: fireball traps) then you shoudl cast from the book infinitelly. but this gets VERY heavy and costs 3x more PP. so i just keep the rarer books.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7033 days, 12 hours, 55 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 11:12 (GMT -5)

So what I'm getting is that it's probably best to give it a readthrough once, just so you know the spell in case the book gets tore up.

From there, there are two theories - store the book somewhere so that you always have it around and can read again, or keep it with you to read from?

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

If I'm playing a wizzie, I try to get 'good book learner' or 'great book learner' first, then read the book till it vanishes. As a wizzie, you'll find many many books, so running out of spell memory is not likely to happen.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5654 days, 14 hours, 2 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 at 18:10 (GMT -5)

Don't cast spells from books like Taz said. Bad advice. You don't gain proficiency in the spell when casting from a book; when you cast it from your memory the spell efficiency increases, which means your spells become more damaging and cost less.

You could of course cast utility spells such as Strength of Atlas from the book, so that you'll be sure not to run out of castings. But with attack spells it's important to get your spell efficiency up. Bookcasting costly spells such as Create Item/Divine Favor requires many hundred power points, and thus is very good training for your mana stat, so you could do that once in a while when you begin to have a big pool of power points available.

You get more castings when your knowledge of the spell is lower, so if you can, hang on to the books and read them when your castings start getting low, like you only have a few tens of castings left. Also during the time you'll gain levels and thus get more castings out of one reading of a book. But the book might get destroyed while you're lugging it around, so it's your choice. Later on in the game you'll start finding more and more spellbooks and you'll get more and more castings out of them as your learning increases so it's not that big of a problem then, but you might sometimes run out of castings in the early game.

Also, in the very beginning of the game, read your attack spell spellbooks only once, and wait until you get your concentration and literacy up to 100. You'll get better results when reading those books.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/10/2004 at 18:11 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5015 days, 22 hours, 4 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 at 19:38 (GMT -5)

i'm going to try a human wizard next, do what you said :P

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: