Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Classes And Races

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6663 days, 11 hours, 36 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 at 12:33 (GMT -5)

I know many have asked this, but what is best starsing/race/class combination? i think Drakish Bards, they can spit acid and have good music skill, and they are strong too. All Send your fav PC.

<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Achillies
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

7396 days, 10 hours, 40 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2004 at 16:01 (GMT -5)

I prefer dark elf monks born in the month of the falcon (survival skill). With some luck, they can cast spells with the best of them.

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!".....Phoebus Apollo
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5018 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 02:39 (GMT -5)

@, you forgot to post the starsign ;)
my favorite star signs are sword, cup and raven
the two characters i liked most so far were a gnomish wizard (he didn't get very far though) and a gnomish assassin.

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 03:56 (GMT -5)

Uups, Well now i prefer High Elven Archer born in month of Cup, by that he gets expirience FAST and get archery skill 100 fast, then get Keen Eye and Eagle Eye and Good Shot talents, then affinity whit bows, then your pc should be a killing machine;)

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 11 hours, 3 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 04:38 (GMT -5)

...until you run into a Dopplegänger(spelling, Germans?) King and discover that all your melee weapon skills are at 0 :P

No, archers are good, just don't kill everything with arrows, train melee weapons as well.

Drakelings are the best race IMO. Second fastest natural healing rate, good strength and toughness to get you started, awesome skills: alertness for dodging spells, bolts and energy rays, food preservation and music for avoiding(taming) cats, and can spit acid, which is great when you're going for strength increses from giant corpses(starve yourself and your strength will drop to 1/2 of the base value=better chance of increase). Wizards are of course great as are barbarians.

High elven priests are very good spellcasters but don't really suck at melee either, they have good starting equipment and nice skills, that detect item status is really useful in the early game when you don't have access to around 50 scrolls of identify yet. Once in 1.0.0 I had one start with 30 learning!
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

Yes, but Drakelings cain lvls slower than others, btw, my archer found a sword of weakness, does it make me or opponent weak or what?

Portrait
MadTom
Registered user
Minister of Untelligence

Last page view:

6129 days, 20 hours, 28 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 06:56 (GMT -5)

The guidebook says that the 'weakness' suffix means the weapon will abuse your Strength attribute, so you'll become weaker as you use it, not your opponent. Probably not the best choice!

As far as races and classes go, I love elven just-about-anything, usually because of their mana scores and dexterity. My favourite combination is the high elven wizard; I tried grey elven wizards but I find the high elves are a bit more well-rounded attribute-wise, not to mention stockier. I've begun experimenting with dwarven fighters and hurthling bards at the moment, too.

As for the zodiac, I love Falcon, Candle, Raven and Unicorn for just about anything, but for wizards I look for Salamander (fire magic) and Tree (willpower and alignment stability) mostly. Cup's not bad for spellcasters, either.

Also, J., that's a great tip about starving drakelings for Strength increases; I'll have to try that!

"For only one you'll step aside and cease your faithful vigil:
The one who wears your brother's ring emblazed with Heaven's sigil."

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/17/2004 at 07:00 (GMT -5) by MadTom]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5018 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2004 at 10:01 (GMT -5)

just had a though.... what if you drink cursed potions of boost strength? that'll bring your strength down temporarily so that you can benefit from eating giant corpses. a poor substitute for the ring of weakness, but still a substitute if you dont have it. wonder if it works....

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2004 at 04:20 (GMT -5)

Anything that lowers your strength works, doesn't matter if it's a temporary or a permanent effect. The same thing goes for other attributes too, like toughness: sickness lowers your toughness by 5 (I think?), so you can use herbs to get your toughness up to 25, then heal yourself and voilà, you've got yourself a toughness of 30. Or when visiting a graveyard you can sicken yourself (I just made up a verb) before eating the wights and wraiths, as undead corpses don't increase toughness very often after 30 or 35 in the new versions. Also if some corruptions lower your dexterity below 25, rub some moss until it's 25 again and it'll go up some more when you remove those corruptions.

Good that you mentioned the ring of weakness, that's pretty much the best thing there is to lower your strength, just be careful not to crush yourself, it also works for every race. Though drakelings are still the best as you tend to get bloated quite fast when eating all those 30+ giant corpses you just got from that greater vault.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/18/2004 at 04:24 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
MadTom
Registered user
Minister of Untelligence

Last page view:

6129 days, 20 hours, 28 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

J. should write a supplement to the guidebook. <:P

"For only one you'll step aside and cease your faithful vigil:
The one who wears your brother's ring emblazed with Heaven's sigil."

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 at 11:21 (GMT -5)

I haven't come up with a single thing I've mentioned in this thread, I've learned all those things from others*.

Plus, I don't post at the rgra(=where you generally post GB updates), I just read the newsgroup. But I think the fake J. does, or then it's just another impostor! :P

*These forums and rgra.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/19/2004 at 11:22 (GMT -5) by J.]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5606 days, 23 hours, 5 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 01:09 (GMT -5)

Fake J. : Now WHO is an imposter ? I've been using the J. name in various newsgroups for some time. Could've registered it here as well, but wasn't in a mood to do so until I noticed some imposter had stolen my name. I DO actually post at the RGRA (I'm the J. there), though I recall having seen another J. in the Google groups (odd).

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Klavert
Registered user
The Hurthling

Last page view:

6512 days, 12 hours, 16 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 01:33 (GMT -5)

Why does everybody want to be called J.?

Klavert
-I want ye to slay a rat to prove your valor- Thrundarr
That really happened to me :D
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7274 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 04:43 (GMT -5)

The name's probably too sassy.And what does J. mean anyway?

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 05:32 (GMT -5)

Don't know about the fake one, but for me... I first started using J. as a signature in emails. J is the initial letter of my callname and I just added the full stop for flavour reasons. Then...it just stuck and later I started using it as my name in newsgroups.

I could've also registerer K. (the initial of my second name plus the full stop) or L. (the initial of my third name plus the full stop) or even P. (the initial my last name plus full stop) but after getting stuck with J. it just felt the most logical one...

J.

Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7293 days, 21 hours, 8 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 05:34 (GMT -5)

It's just an initial. Which means I could also be called J. if i wanted to, but then I'd have to be something like "The real real J." so be happy I chose Andor Drakon and aren't confusing you all.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3592 days, 18 hours, 31 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

What's J for? Jones, james, jessie,?
For the Horde!
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7274 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

Well then,I'm glad I have my own name. :)

Anyway,back to topic!I generally prefer High Elven Priests...born in the month of Candle.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 06:27 (GMT -5)

Gnomish wizards rule. So far I have managed at least 2 victories with them. Wizards may be weaklings at start but once they get loaded with spells they are pretty much unstoppable. Gnomes make pretty good wizards, being relatively intelligent and still tougher that elves. Wizards also have herbalism, healing and find weakness from the start which are quite useful skills. And gnomes also have pick pockets right from the start which makes them even better.

Haven't yet managed to get a bard too far. That random skill list is a big gamble. They may get a huge set of useful skills or they may get a pitiful list of useless "skills". Though I once found a RoDS in a shop with a bard I still don't like them much.

Merchants could prove interesting if one managed to get one up to midgame. Being able to identify all items of certain class is a nice ability and being able to use gold as a moderately effective missile is an interesting ability. But they are SOOO weak in the beginning.

Mindcrafters are truly weak in the beginning. If one got to around level 32 with one they could be highly powerful, with that GTB (or so it would seem judging from several postings in RGRA). Haven't got one very far, though.

Yesterday I had a quick test of gnomish beastfighter. Didn't get too far (one got relatively far in UD until a naughty mimic got him) but they look promising. And it would seem to me that beastfighters at least have good crowning gifts, unlike bards.

J.

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 07:46 (GMT -5)

Katso pari Olvi-mainosta äläkä ota sitä niin vakavasti, pitäähän sitä nyt herjaa heittää.

I have read the boards long enough to know that a J. posted here, but he hadn't registered. Then when I had a break from these forums for a few months, came back and actually started posting, I didn't remember "J." and so kind of "stole" his name, as it was vacant. So fake J., you should've just registered in 2001 or whenever it was and we wouldn't have this situation here :P

Oh and J is the first letter of my name. Also the first letter of my nick name, although it's different. I guess I could be JT, Jay T or something seeing that my last name begins with T but that sounds lame.

Just a small thing but: wasn't find weakness taken out of wizards' skills?

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/20/2004 at 07:52 (GMT -5) by J.]
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

No en ota. Olisi pitänyt kai pistää pari hymiötä perään.

True, I did post a fair while ago by the name J. but couldn't be bothered to register. When I found someone had registered J. I was a tad disappointed. I also posted as TBD (To Be Defined in case anyone is interested) a couple of times.

Perhaps I should've registered as "The Kinslayer" (one of my fave songs, BTW), I guess then we wouldn't have all this moaning going on.

As for the find weakness being dropped from wizard skills: It could well be in 1.1.x, but since I will not play that unplayable crap until the ridiculous übermonster-bug is fixed it doesn't really matter. And even without FW wizards rule.

J.

Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

Se On Vaa Elämää.
Munki nimi alkaa j:llä pitäiskö vaihtaa nimi The Really Real J:ksi :D

I prefer high elven archers and gnomish wizards, cup and sword starsigns are nice.

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 01:03 (GMT -5)

This thread is getting seriously off topic. Let's get back on topic.

Well, yesterday I tried a gnomish beastfighter. It wasn't too easy to get one really started but once I got to around level 10 there was no stopping him. Beastfighters really get tough once they level up. I was fighting barehanded and killing most monsters in one hit (e.g. baby dragons, trolls, vortices) even the big room was a piece of cake. Even with all those black wizards, spider factories and werefoos the char was never in a danger of dying (though the spenseweed bush I found helped a bit). Even when surrounded by spiders the char wasn't in trouble (as beastfighters gain poison resistance at level 6 IIRC). The char was doing something like 1d12+16 points of damage per hit and apparently criticalled quite often. Plus, beastfighters gain serious plusses to hit and DV as they level up. That char had something like 37 DV without a shield (beastfighters don't like using shields) and crappy armor.

In the end I did a stupid mistake. I had been avoiding cat kills (like I always try to do) by leading them to other levels and locking them to rooms (as beastfighters have good Dx they are usually fast enough to outrun cats). In the bigroom a cave foo (can't remember if it was tiger or lion) appeared and I wasn't in the mood of leading it out of the level (had already done so to couple other felines). I had a potion of exchange so I decided to exchange the kitty. The result was a fire vortex that immediately exploded - destroying the only spenseweed bush completely. I wasn't in the mood of seeking other bushes so I quit.

Anyway, this short experiment was enough to get beastfighters to the list of my favourite classes. I'd say beastfighters share the number one position in the list along with wizards. I recommend anyone to try out a beastfighter, you could like them as I did.

Oh, a funny thing about that char. He found Long Sting in a vault but was doing more damage barehanded than with it. In the end I only used weapons when fighting gray oozes and ochre jellies to avoid damaging the char...

J.

Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

7001 days, 3 hours, 8 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 02:19 (GMT -5)

I agree, beastfighters are hard to beat and are one of the characters capable of winning the game with no spells or wands or stuff like that (even though I have a feeble hope that I may play a monk who will have the potential to go the distance....hasn't even came close yet!!)

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo
qpax
Registered user

Last page view:

7388 days, 17 hours, 36 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 04:29 (GMT -5)

Przestancie gadac po Finsku, wy suomi brzydale. Pewnie i tak tego nie kapujecie, wiec po co sie wysilam? I to wcale nie jest smieszne.

"I want ye to slay a female goblin slavemaster ghul. Return to me when you have succeded."
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7177 days, 23 hours, 21 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

High Elven druid born in a month of book with an extremely high le (about 30-35). 8-9 skills per level - guaranteed.

It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 at 05:50 (GMT -5)

Ill try that monk and beast fighter, sounds fun.

I prefer Dwarf Barbarian born in month of book, good learning and strong fighter.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3592 days, 18 hours, 31 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

that high elven druid seems like a good choice but for me is very hard to get that book sign.
For the Horde!
qpax
Registered user

Last page view:

7388 days, 17 hours, 36 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 at 10:12 (GMT -5)

Listen up, J. How old are you? ( no, it's not an ironic question as it is in Poland ). Just being curious.

"I want ye to slay a female goblin slavemaster ghul. Return to me when you have succeded."
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 at 00:52 (GMT -5)

qpax: The other one (let's not start arguing again about fake/real, okay ?) or me ? Don't know about the other one but I'm 33.

J.

Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: