Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Wizards are good but.....

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Cathan Twice-Born
Registered user
~ADOM Newbie~

Last page view:

7359 days, 14 hours, 49 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 19:39 (GMT -5)

I quickly made a Gnomish Wizard, and leveled to 14 in the ID. I found quite a few books and I have nearly 3/4 oof the spells. However, I have a hard time keeping my bolt spells going. I lose all of their casts too fast and I have to go back to ID: 1 with my dagger until I find another one. Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone give me any tips for book-finding other than the obvious library which I can't get to. ;-)
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7275 days, 20 hours, 56 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 21:13 (GMT -5)

You have to employ clever tactics if you don't want your spells to deplete too often.Although wizards rely heavily on their spells,it is also a good idea to train them in other fields as well(melee,missile,etc).

Well,I'll stop my babbling and answer your question.Wizards don't really find spellbooks as often as the other spellcasters(priests,druids,etc.),but they tend to have the most spells later in the game anyway.Oh,and they automatically learn spells after a certain level.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
Cathan Twice-Born
Registered user
~ADOM Newbie~

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 22:14 (GMT -5)

Thanks, I think I'll hunt around ID:1-4 training up my polearms for a bit. Should be nice training, experience, and might find a couple books or useful items. Also, what did you mean Wizards start gaining spells....like they start gaining more casts to already learnt spells?
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7275 days, 20 hours, 56 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

According to the Manual,at level 25 wizards slowly gain experience in one random spell for each level. At level 50 they gain knowledge to all commonly known spells.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/20/2004 at 22:38 (GMT -5) by Anarchy2]
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5019 days, 19 hours, 27 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 at 23:25 (GMT -5)

increasing your literacy and concentration allows you more castings when you learn a spell from a book.

[edit]: high learning too, i think

Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/20/2004 at 23:26 (GMT -5) by Taz]
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 00:23 (GMT -5)

Yep, learning is important. Don't read the books out untill you got 100 concentration and literacy. And I do believe wizards are one of the classes that actually do find the most books in dungeons. I usually don't have the problem with bolts running out, unless I've found like 1 or 2 books total. A few levels in ID usually gives me enough to do puppy cave, village dungeon or the druid quest, CoC to dwarftown.
Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

7002 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 02:07 (GMT -5)

It seems that any of my characters (seldom do I have a spellcaster) learning spells (along with great concentration and literacy) have a better time if the spellbooks are blessed, and the character is not in a state of "bloated" or "hungry."....Plus I wonder about the rooms with the feature message "The walls of this room are covered with ancient runes." Could this message be a roadsign for a good place to learn spells?

I also wonder if maybe a blessed potion of boost learning may help at the time of learning a spell.

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/21/2004 at 02:10 (GMT -5) by Achilles]
Portrait
MadTom
Registered user
Minister of Untelligence

Last page view:

6130 days, 20 hours, 50 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 02:26 (GMT -5)

Be as lucky as you can, and have fate smile upon you as much as you can, and go to ID:9, which is the deepest level without background corruption. You should find quite a few books.

Anarchy's advice about training melee weapons and missiles is also astute, I feel, particularly the latter for elven wizards (reasonable dexterity).

"For only one you'll step aside and cease your faithful vigil:
The one who wears your brother's ring emblazed with Heaven's sigil."

Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 03:28 (GMT -5)

The room which generates a message saying something about walls looking something like bookshelves gives a bonus when reading books. Also blessed books do give more castings.
Cathan Twice-Born
Registered user
~ADOM Newbie~

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 at 18:01 (GMT -5)

The blessed spellbook idea sounds alright, I'll try that on my new Gnomish Wizard seeing how mine died at level 15. =(. Oh well, thats ADOM for ya ;-). I think I will play another Gnomish Wizard and maybe.......a Dark Elven Assassin or a Dwarven Ranger.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: