Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Cat tactics?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7015 days, 12 hours, 29 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 at 17:52 (GMT -5)

Looking through the pages, I don't see many (any?) threads dealing with creative methods for handling cats.

Because I'm not very smart, I haven't actually had a character survive long enough to see the Cat Lord or deal with his anger over feline slaughter, but because I like reading spoilers, I know enough to realize that I should be employing some sort of reverse-genocide tactics on anything that purrs.

That said, I'd like to know if anyone has any creative methods for dealing with cats. Here's what I know about so far (and realize that these are all tactics that can be employed by low-level characters... I've never been able to teleport myself or create doors or the like):

- double-wield shields, set tactics to coward, run like the blazes, hoping to move fast enough that I can get a door between myself and the offending cat.

- run back to the last spider I saw and try to get the cat stuck, so I can employ above tactic.

- Once, I was lucky enough to find a slug. I positioned myself between said slug and aggravating cat, and let slug spit acid at the both of us. I think the same works with fire beetles.

- Wand of webbing (woohoo!)

- Cast 'darkness' spell. You can get that at low levels

- Find a trap and hope for the best. I was given a cat in the arena once, and the only trap there was water. After about an hour of running cat over water trap, he was still only slightly injured. He should have drowned by that point, dumb cat.

I don't know if there are other clever, low-level solutions. Can I dip a really bad arrow (like -3 damage) into a potion of blindness and shoot it? Can I get it next to an untested door and send a block falling on it's head? How come cats hate me enough to attack on sight, and dogs hate me, but for some reason... cats don't hate dogs? For that matter, why don't any of them hate bandits or assassins?

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

331 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 at 19:45 (GMT -5)

A Bard can charm cats, and feeding them with proper food, i.e. fresh meat for cave lions will calm them down.

For spellcasters this isn't really such a big problem, besides Thrundarr's quests and the Arena if unlucky.
Calm Monster, Teleport and wand of door creation will fix it.

My problem is to avoid accidential cat-killings.
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7015 days, 12 hours, 29 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 at 21:03 (GMT -5)

Word to your Marillion. I tend to run into them accidentally. They are very fragile.

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5586 days, 1 hour, 38 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

One interesting tactic is using a beastfighter. Beastfighters have high Dx and speed (with raven one can easily get to about 120 at low levels when unburdened) so they can usually easily outrun cats and usually they also get high DV at low levels. Lead the cat to the far corner of some isolated room, skip around the furball, run away and close (and preferably lock) the door. That's one tactic I used a lot while testing one.

About accidentally running into cats: yes, that is not fun. I tend to try using the w-movement as much as possible to avoid this but even then I sometimes get careless and...

J.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
MadTom
Registered user
Minister of Untelligence

Last page view:

6108 days, 23 hours, 1 minute and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 at 01:07 (GMT -5)

My favourite methods include ventriloquism followed by running or preferably locking them away, and (hopefully cooked) rat corpses for cave lions and cats. Regrettably, tigers require actual pieces of meat to be placated in this way.

Alarm traps are great for cats, too; you're not charged for the cat's death that way, even if you create the trap. Find something tough nearby, and it'll flatten it pretty quickly. Corruption traps work too, though I've noted it sometimes takes cats ages to finally change into writhing masses of primal chaos. Vortices and fire or lightning lizards are also excellent. Finally, there's the timeworn trick of simply teleporting them away.

Don't forget smashing them with potions of raw chaos or exchange and then taking them out, but don't be too close when throwing the first.

I once had a character kill a cat in the Big Room after stumbling into it, while confused by a doppleganger lord. Very irritating.

"For only one you'll step aside and cease your faithful vigil:
The one who wears your brother's ring emblazed with Heaven's sigil."

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/27/2004 at 01:12 (GMT -5) by MadTom]
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3089 days, 14 hours, 11 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

About taming cats - fresh meat or fish meat is needed only for cave lions.
Wild cats and cave tigers can get tamed by the most common thing: (giant)rat corpses.
The number you need varies: somtimes it's just 1-2, sometimes it's 12, but there's always some wererat nearby ready to summon cat food ;)

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 at 22:26 (GMT -5)

word to marillion, hillarious, hahaha
BlackDragonIncarnate
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 04, 2004 at 10:32 (GMT -5)

I like to stun them with a wand or lesser divine touch in a big then just run

-------------------------------------------

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 2/4/2004 at 10:35 (GMT -5) by its author]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: