Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Just a few questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 20 hours, 2 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 06:05 (GMT -5)

What exactly does a tract of order do?

Can you kill all the trees in the animated forest?

The ADoM manual sais that there are four productive uses for a SI, I can only come up with three: Can not be destroyed, Sacrificing, selling.

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/11/2004 at 06:05 (GMT -5) by Morio]
Andor Drakon
Registered user
uummm... ElDeR cHaOs GoD?

Last page view:

7273 days, 2 hours, 46 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 06:56 (GMT -5)

A tract of order either crashes the game or crashes the game in a particularly evil manner.

No, you can't.

Some more uses:
Throwing on D:49 to propel yourself.
Weilding it and nothing else to avoid cursing from a god.

ChAoS iS cOmInG!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3728 days, 6 hours, 30 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

Re: Trees Actually... you can. Technically.

They won't spawn while you're looking at the square they're in; so if your Perception (perhaps enhanced by items) is high enough to cover the entire level, then you can keep the level empty while you're at the center of it.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 14:52 (GMT -5)

Hmmm, maybe a char with 99 perception and Far Sight spell could do it. Then if it would be archer, or a mage with improved fireball, he could clear the room. Interesting thought, maybe worth the try when I'm bored enough.
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7015 days, 15 hours, 33 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 at 18:47 (GMT -5)

I only made it into the forest once... I accumulated a TON of XP trying to get back out of it. Then I died looking for a Giant Frog :(

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 at 06:53 (GMT -5)

I managed to take out a hell of a lot of them with my level 30ish stone grue pet (DH:2 + ?oDanger + ?oFamiliar summoning :) ). I think it's impossible though, they get continuously spawned outside of your LOS
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 at 11:30 (GMT -5)

Exactly--outside of your LOS. That's why you keep the whole level IN your LOS. I just said it was possible... didn't say it was useful!

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

6980 days, 8 hours, 46 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

Maybe wield the si when fighting corrosive jellies? That may fall under the "cannot be destroyed" catagory.

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 at 20:55 (GMT -5)

A high level archer with farsight and a necklace of the eye could do it fairly easily, with a bit of patience. Why you would WANT to do it, I cannot guess.

The dwarvern halls are MUCH more fun :)
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

Yeah, corrosive jellies will fall to the si, but the si isn't a very good weapon. If you have eternium items, stone items, or wooden items, then use those. They don't corrode.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6693 days, 2 hours, 31 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

how about... use WoDC:s to stuff the whole place full of doors? they don't spawn on doors or open them... so you could kill one, create a door etc.
It should work too, but it wouldn't be much use tho...
also,about the jellies, no missiles corrode (I think). I almost always stone or arrow them to death, as with carmies. unless I'm pretending to be a wiz.

And my point was...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/16/2004 at 05:39 (GMT -5) by wakka]
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5738 days, 3 hours, 21 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 at 05:47 (GMT -5)

Wooden items? What are you thinking of? Quarterstaves corrode, and I think they're wooden. Crystal daggers don't seem to corrode, though, and artifacts never do whatever they're made of.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3572 days, 8 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 at 07:36 (GMT -5)

are clubs wodden. I fought with a lot of grey oozes and when I saw my weapon corrodníng, I swithced to my club bit soon it was -7 to hit.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

Good point. Yeah, clubs corrode for some reason... Scratch "wooden" from the list; I think I was thinking of wooden shields being immune to water damage.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 at 14:33 (GMT -5)

A good way to get lots of trees killed is to lure the banshee there(or wish for one). Then you could start creating the doors there.

You could also kick the oozes, at least if there isn't a whole vault of them, just one or two. That will corrode your boots, so don't do it with 7LBs on, but it's a good reason to lug around all those [+0,+0] boots you find all the time, if you've got the carrying capacity that is.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 at 17:12 (GMT -5)

This is pretty off topic, but it has to do with the animated forest. But I really wish there was a way you could change the stacking order of items. (If there is, please tell me what it is, instead of calling me a noob, thanks). I led the banshee all the way around the animated forest, (and this is on a 50 line game... lol) giving me many, many piles of items to check individually, for stuff like rings and ammies under the logs, while constantly being attacked by trees, since I had to kill the banshee.

Has anybody had a banshee companion? That would be awesome if it's possible.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/2/2004 at 17:12 (GMT -5) by its author]
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at 02:02 (GMT -5)

Set autopickup in the options file to pick up rings, missiles, etc etc..

Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

the tract of order will remove some corruption for you, but if you read it while deep on CoC you'll get more than you had removed. i wouldn't be surprised if the b/c/u status has a big affect on the outcome as well as how close you are to yoru diety. definately read it outside somewhere
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7015 days, 15 hours, 33 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 at 18:01 (GMT -5)

Another use for SIs:

drop them in a line from the stairs in a dark room to the hallway with light in it, so you can find your way back Hansel & Gretel style. Note that this is by far the least useful way to use SIs.

Possibly even less useful:

Leave a bunch of them around, and hope monsters pick them up and aren't smart enough to get rid of them periodically. This could result in hordes of monsters crushed under the weight of the ever-expanding mountain of SIs.

I wonder if you could dump enough of them in the water to make a landfill bridge?

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
oneiro
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 07:25 (GMT -5)

trees in the animated forest can be burned with fire bolts, wands etc...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3089 days, 17 hours, 15 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 09:11 (GMT -5)

And using fire magic (wands, spells) causes all the trees to go berserk on you. I think lightning magic causes this too, but I'm not sure about it.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Morio_
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 13:35 (GMT -5)

How about using a torch?
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at 11:44 (GMT -5)

What exactly is an archmage?

Is it considered savescumming to immeadiately save a character upon starting a new game (before entering any locations and should the charachter die early on due, say for example, ambushed by barbarians at level 1, reload the file at the starting point?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 20 hours, 2 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at 12:26 (GMT -5)

An archmage is a char that can bookcast wish with the mana stat at 1. And by that he has unlimited wishes

I consider it save-scumming
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/5/2005 at 12:27 (GMT -5) by Morio]
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 16 hours, 25 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at 15:54 (GMT -5)

thedrin: what's the point? it's hardly as though you've lost much, why not just start a new char?
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Túrin
Registered user
Wildman of the Woods

Last page view:

6893 days, 12 hours, 42 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

Quick question: Any way to complete random monster quest of a cave lion without actually killing it?

(my orcish priest has not yet killed a cat, finding an early wand of trap creation with lots of charges and a spellbook of Calm Monster)
Túrin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5796 days, 1 hour, 48 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at 20:42 (GMT -5)

turin, impossible. My suggestion is: kill the feline, forget the ring. OR, get the ring, dumb it to some place safe, kill the cat.
Zephyr Offline
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 05, 2005 at 21:36 (GMT -5)

Alex: About the saving thing, I once had a wizard born under Cup, started with a quarterstaff 1d10+3 and had a robe [+0 +4] and light boots [+0 +3] Oh, and he started with Frost bolt, MMissle and Knock. (I think.) I saved him because of the nice items. Then I saved him again after kill #1 (Mugger ;p)
thedrin#
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 04:53 (GMT -5)

The game is pretty much identical until (the way I play) I enter either the UD or CoC. Terinyo, Bandit town, PC, DD, VD are always the same with respect to vaults and other certain locations decided when the character begins. Tension rooms, shops, alters are decided on entering levels, as is equipment generated and in the early game these are what make a character promising. An adamantium halberd generated in the SMC will probably not be generated there again.

It's happened that I spend 10 minutes looking for the month I want to play in.
"You are ambushed by barbarians .... You die"
@#%&

Convienience being the point. It doesn't reveal anything unknown by restarting having only played the early stages.

Actually bee hives and ant nests can be generated in the PC levels (excluding level 2) which is decided at the games beginning so if any of those aoccured I'd delete the start file.

I'm not suggesting saving after doing anything which will affect my character's development like finding a nice item, good precrowning gift, or getting a hobgoblin or giant frog for a first kill.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 16 hours, 25 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

Turin: no. Only thing you can do is get the ring first, drop it, kill the cat, then pick the ring back up. By the way, does using wands of trap creation allow you to kill cats safely? the GB says that the PC is still accused of killing the cat if she creates a trap that does so.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: