Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Adom Tips & Tricks

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 17 hours, 10 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 12:31 (GMT -5)

a thread for tips you just want to tell people, but don't have anywhere else to put them:

If you find a shop that 'appears to be deserted', it isn't . . . it's a tension room full of mimics. Found that out the hard way today :(
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1198 days, 10 hours, 38 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 01, 2004 at 12:40 (GMT -5)

When you come to a shop, remember to sell your stuff, rather than just browse your wares.

Im a packrat, so it always ends up killing me after my return to the dungeon and i find myself in a horde of monsters Strained!

*Majin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

when your strained! and surrounded by monsters, :Drop every thing and battle away. (be careful though, if the creatures your surrounded by are Fire/lightning/water breathers then your dropped items will be damaged)

also when you reach a shop, pick up everything and dump it in one pile, this gives the shop room to restock with new items.

oh, and don't go near a shop with the Unholy Aura corruption. Ever.
(Waldenbrook yells at you, 'Stop scaring away my customers!' Waldenbrook hits you, Waldenbrook hits you, Waldenbrook hits you, Waldenbrook hits you, Waldenbrook hits you, Waldenbrook hits you, You die....)
Portrait
wakka
Registered user
Tha kitten slayer

Last page view:

6693 days, 3 hours, 16 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

If you have to wear on unidentified stuff, try to remove it too, because it's better to KNOW you have a cursed item on than to find it out, when you have a cursed brass amulet on, 10 amulets of free actions in your pack, and something going HRUMPH just behind your back, and no way to get the amulet off.
(long example) I've foud this useful..

And my point was...
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7015 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 at 17:39 (GMT -5)

Shut the doors when you're gonna spend time checking item status at an altar, and take your time doing it. You don't want to get caught on an altar when a kobold walks in and sac's your lvl 21 wizard :(

Also - don't hesitate to throw on un-ID'd shields and armor if you're in a spot where you might die anyway. Go ahead and wave those random wands, read the random scrolls and drink the random potions. Not sure what the longsword might be? Wield it. Any ill-effect is still better than "Would you like to read your last messages? Y/N" ("argh! N-N-N-N-N")

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

The drakeling's spit ability is nice for starving yourself, for lowering your strength enough to get increases from eg. ogre corpses.

But be careful - stop spitting when your strength is near half its original value LEST YE DIE.

Yes, that's right, I just starved my own character to death. Yes, I feel stupid.

raven
Registered user

Last page view:

7110 days, 21 hours, 14 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

good post idea, just toss general tips here...
1.save the puppy corpse for when you need a BIG L boost fast, you CAN do that anytime.
2.learn all, but only train climbing w/ the thief
the rest you will be forced by default <music, mining, trap det...the game forces stuff you dont need/want about L25. and such> the faster your wiz,prst,elem, etc. gets to the rift the better.
3.drop extras at different locations<1a.climbing sets are HEAVY, and they do break, leave 1 w the barbarian, 1 in holeinthewall, and 2 in different shops.
4.a lesson in patience, GET PRECROWNED!!!! free artifact...too many times i generate an extra artifact thus removing a realistic, early precrown possibility.
5.use holy water till you die, its like time outs, you cant take em w/ you, BLESS EVERYTHING you can reasonably...the diff is um generally DOUBLE<REALLY matters for weak hurthings>
6.RUST proof got that cool mace of desruction in the SMC? proof it or have it ruined in the ID by a water trap: also, HCoA...gotta save them, the dragon slaying quarrels are CRUCIAL in the ToEF
7. dont forget you piety, gods are a pain, but keeping them happy will keep you ALIVE, know what your god likes, the sac it to em, cuts the cost by about 1/3rd, and the do give cool stuff
8.PoB are as good or better than PoGA, you just have to BLESS, then equip the right stuff to make all stat close to =, and theyappear MUCH more frequently (making them more valuable IMHO)
drink, watch the stats fly..., <bless 4 at once of course>
9.unlless attempting GRANDMASTRY of a certain weapon, use several and change to keep them even.. by the time it counts your to hit will be about +150 6d8+98 <some sword>, doesnt matter...
but you have to get there know the SLAYING qualities of your weapon....the dif is ENOURMOUS
10. wear the BLESSED ANKH, WEAR THE BLESSED ANKH
and last
not a tip just an idea 11. read the GUIDE on herbs, you simply HAVE to.
i know a lot of people who have played tis for years like i have, will find this a bit redundant, but when i was new to the game, these tips would have helped, but not spoiled the game badly, i still refer to the guidebook during every game...i dont feel im cheating, the constantly evolves and changes, and why should i suffer because a corpse effect that ive already seen changed? no the guide is a manual how you use it is up to you, ive played so many games, i dont refer to the map layouts, but people who are new might want to... tips are not cheats, we buy the all month long....EG: CGM, EGM, CG, Maxim, FHM, EGM, all these offer tips, am i cheeting by reading them to improve my play? no
i dont use software to manipulate my games, i played the ORIGINAL "ROGUE" Yes have a full copy if you want it, and i do still play it....won 2wice in 20 yrs, think ADOM is hard? play the ORIGINAL ROGUE<G>
the programmer gave up
hence no more rogue
the org ASCII game..... i hope my tips help, and ive found a ton of things that are not so basic...i hope people will look....
oh btw i do have a GOOD copy of the ORIGINAL rogue, clean an um simple, but fun
raven
Registered user

Last page view:

7110 days, 21 hours, 14 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 at 15:19 (GMT -5)

i hope there are a few people who actually know where ROGUE style games started, THNX EPYX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 at 20:57 (GMT -5)

When wishing for 7LBs, wish for "seven leagues" so that you get multiple pairs

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/10/2004 at 20:58 (GMT -5) by its author]
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7015 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 11, 2004 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

heh... I remember Rogue AND I remember Epyx (summer games II rules!!)

Where can I get an unblemished copy of Rogue, anyway? (that shouldn't be against the rules, I hope, since it's always been freeware).

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 06:07 (GMT -5)

Well, here's today's tip children:

Don't fuck with werewolf kings.

that is all.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3572 days, 53 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 11:27 (GMT -5)

in the literal sense?
For the Horde!
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 16, 2004 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

In any sense. Killed my level 32 necromancer with one critical hit.

Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3728 days, 7 hours, 15 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 18, 2004 at 05:56 (GMT -5)

Ouch.

Use vortices as handy fire/acid/ice ball generators, if you have resistance. Fireball traps work the same way, especially if you are a level 12 melee character with the elemental gauntlets, being followed through DH:1 by an adult white dragon. (True story. It died after I triggered0 the trap a few times, dropping much gold and a few unremarkable items. I had a fireproof blanket and lost only a hooded cloak.)

When fighting hordes in the Big Room, stand on the stairs, lead up nine at a time, kill them, then go back down. No time passes in the meanwhile so the generation of breeders and summoners isn't nearly as fast.

Rehetep's lair has a stair with a special property: Monsters standing next to you when you stand on it won't follow you down. ASAP, find your way to the stairs and stand on them. You'll have a quick exit prepared, just in case.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

Something I just discovered:
If you see an item that you suspect of being a mimic, stand next to it and look at it (press l and move the cursor to it). If the game says 'An item is lying there', it's a mimic. If it says 'a -foo- is lying there' it's not.

Portrait
DaN
Registered user
Cursed and Doomed

Last page view:

6963 days, 15 hours, 1 minute and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 at 18:45 (GMT -5)

whenever i see and interesting coloured item (especially if it's purple, has anyone seen a proper purple weapon?) i shoot it (arrow, quarrel) or use mindcraft on it (boil it's brain before it transforms ;))
Alterac
Registered user
dual-wielding Psychopath

Last page view:

7152 days, 11 hours, 32 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 01:10 (GMT -5)

Phase daggers are fantastic for taking out nasty things like iron golems and molochs... just dont get cocky. I had a phase dagger, ran into a moloch in the DH, thought "ooh that might give me great exp" last message: moloch punches through your armor and critically hits you. (BAH serves me right). Also, persistance is key to this game im learning... (at least if you suck like I do) at least I have enough dead level ~5 characters that I can enter the bug temple now :P
necroLord
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 05:01 (GMT -5)

just something i think would be useful to know... does a -foo- of penetration do the same thing as a phase dagger?(ie. ignore PV) cause i just found this orcish dagger of penetration for my drakling healer and if penetration is as good as i think it is... heheh
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 06:51 (GMT -5)

Weapons of penetration ignore PV, just like phase daggers.

Lists of pre/suffixes and what they do are in the guidebook's weapon section.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6265 days, 22 hours, 35 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

Never drink unidentified potions at a low lvl. Acid ball is really useful in the chaos crown and mana temple battles... Drakon is not immune to fire attacks, never get close to the emperor moloch unless you have a lot of hps and phase daggers. It is best to run away if you can't fight something, unless there is some hope they might make it. Don't be stuck up, something still can kill you, so watch your back, that doppengander king can still kick a**.

illumi
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 13:33 (GMT -5)

unidentified potions?

I usually drink uncursed 4s potions of any type, esp when the char is having poison resistance.

All stat potions are 4s (PoGA and PoB as well) and they are good for your health ...

not bad to try
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

This is probably a horrible idea most of the time, but I used it once.

If you've got items on that you really, really want off and you don't have another way of doing it, and you're planning to change your alignment anyway, drop everything you don't want destroyed and pray until your god destroys it for you. (He'll think he's punishing you. Just humor him.)
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 at 04:21 (GMT -5)

wah exactly does a sword of sharpness? does it bypass PV?
For the Horde!
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

Nope, just does lots and lots of damage. 4d8+6 to be precise.

Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

blah.
What's better:
a sword of sharpness skill level 11 with shield
a sword of sharpness + executor skill level nine
a sword of sharpness + phase dagger level 9
phase dagger + shield

My shield skill is lv 10 I think.
My main weapon is phase dagger and shield but Maybe I can use other weapons that are better. I have the staff of the archmagi but I don't want to use it because then it's by-bye shileld.
For the Horde!
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7102 days, 5 hours, 22 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 07:16 (GMT -5)

Btw, staff skill gives *huuuge* DV bonuses. On skill level 6 it's like +9 DV, and it gets even better after that. So I think that in a real long run staves can be if not better then on about the same level as axe/sword/dagger + shield. Spear + shield beats it, however.

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6821 days, 19 hours, 28 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 11:52 (GMT -5)

Grand Mastery in staves give +40 dv. Grand Mastery in spear +22. Then you need a shield + the bonus from it to be 18 atleast.
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

TheTimpen, wrong. You should count in those natural +13 on eternium tower shields, too... So it's more like +6 which is only skill level three, iirc. (Well, staff of the archmagi also gives +9, but, anyway. The Protector has +20.)

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6821 days, 19 hours, 28 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 18:08 (GMT -5)

Uhm on which part am I wrong?
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 19:24 (GMT -5)

Aw, forget it, these were Deep Hardcore Tactical Calculations Of Completely No Use To Anyone :-)

Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: