Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Adom Tips & Tricks

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7122 days, 14 hours, 53 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 19:24 (GMT -5)

Aw, forget it, these were Deep Hardcore Tactical Calculations Of Completely No Use To Anyone :-)

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5758 days, 13 hours, 36 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 04:10 (GMT -5)

TheTimpen, although it's true that "you need a shield and the bonus from it to be +18 at least" to equal the DV boost of being Grand Master in staves, that really isn't that hard to achieve. It is just a +6DV shield and a shields skill of level 6 or higher, and as Ry points out, shields with +13DV aren't that rare - that's +39DV from the shield alone once your shields skill is maxed out!
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6842 days, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

Yeah I know, I was merely stating the fact that you needed a total bonus of 18 from the shield + the bonus from shielding skill. I never said that any of them were superior to the other :P
maestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 at 02:35 (GMT -5)

train literacy after making your first kill with the guaranteed scrolls in SMC. use your first two level advances to boost it.

if you're an archer just assume that the green @ in the middle of a group of weak enemies is a doppleganger king and not an outlaw.

no treasure is worth dying for, you'll almost always find better stuff anyway. run your butt off.

kicking doors - "the door does not budge" means no trap. "the door does not budge at all" means it's trapped. (someone posted this a while back and i've used it ever since)

choose herbalism over healing anyday of teh week. not just for herbalim but also for a chance of acid immunity from giant slugs.

if you find a room that has a "very rich flavor" take all the equipment and rations you have to maintain a "strained!" status, create or lock doors and put something on yoru 's' key. within 5 min your strength will hit its max.

don't horde all your PoUH and PoEH for "later". save a couple if you just have to for nuraag or d:50.

save your wishes until you NEED them.

teleport as much as you can in the lower CoC levels unless you have to have an altar or some spare spensweed.

use spells such as identify or petrification over and over in a safe spot to train mana. you'll probably never have a spare 100 pp to petrify something anyway.

harvest stomafilla before your herbalism is high so you can get plenty uncursed filla and cursed ceptia.

if you're chaotic and need exp use the eternal guardian as a great source BEFORE giving away the RotHK. make sure you have teleport in case you're not strong enough. stun ray < = 10 should work on them. you can still pass once all the incarnations are killed, but you have to kill every incarnation first.

save all your potions of blindness and confusion for barney or ToEF or whever else you need them.

zap wand of digging straight up when you enter the uselessness level instead of going all the way around.

save scrolls of peace for d:50 (2 blessed at least) or when you plan on spending a lot of time in a high corruption area.

yadda yadda..
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5657 days, 2 hours, 55 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 at 11:49 (GMT -5)

To train mana, bookcast create item. 750pp cost is quite much.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6501 days, 2 hours, 41 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

Wands of destruction are not a good way to deal with cats in the arena. I assumed they worked like bolt wands, but it's a ball effect (and a big one too). Pissed off Dak, and now I can't do the arena quest or any of the ones after it :(

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3891 days, 6 hours, 17 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 03:20 (GMT -5)

I've also heard that WoD drain some stats, is this true???

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 04:48 (GMT -5)

No, just hp and pp.

Revelation
Registered user
I'll think up a title later...

Last page view:

5779 days, 21 hours, 41 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 13:24 (GMT -5)

What I've learned.

One: In a lesser tension vault, head to the nearest corridor, so you only have to fight one at a time. Just keep flailing away (I did so with a flail) I gained about two-three levels, an increase in maces and flails, and some stuff by wasting orcs. (No artifacts, but I can use some of the stuff to sell, or sacrifice... ^_^)

Two: Kicking usually helps in finding secret doors.

Three: Be careful where your friends are going. I had the puppy accidently trigger the fireball trap. Twice.

Four: On the same note, watch where your going. Trying to avoid the fireball trap, I run into a teleportation trap, then stepped off of it into a blindness trap... -_-;;; (I did get the dog out of the cave, but it was still a pain in the butt...)

Five: Be careful what you eat... Trust me on this...
Thomas Biskup, the Creator, casts Final Code. You become doomed. Your equipment turns to dust! You feel corrupted. You are stunned! You feel like you haven't eaten in days. You are starving!. Your Willpower drops to 0. You PP becomes 0. You die.
Would you like to see the last message before your death? (y/N)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/4/2004 at 13:25 (GMT -5) by Revelation]
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

I have discovered that it is not a good idea to bring your only climbing set into the minotaur maze. I only got out by polymorphing tools with moon sickle + potions ==> PoRC, two of which exploded :/ next time I'll stash on the tomb of high kings.
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 03:25 (GMT -5)

Whats the point in the minotaur maze, anyway? I mean asides from the axe.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

Potion of strength, two potions of cure corruption, and the minotaur emperor's corpse gives +3 St, -8 Wi, +3 To, +3 Pe. Plus the cow axe is just cool, and I like the challenge.
Laatuska
Registered user

Last page view:

7198 days, 12 hours, 51 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

Step 1) Have seven league boots or be really fast.

Step 2) Train your bow skill.

Step 3) When coming face to face with a hard-hitting-high-hitpoint-killer-monster take your best ammo that you have in reasonable quantities and dip them into poison. Better yet, always keep one stack ready and poisoned.

Step 4) Pump the critter full of poisonous arrows.

Step 5) Dance back and tell the critter how fat his momma is.

Step 6) Watch the silly thing drop dead in no time.

Lacking proper slaying ammo, I just did that trick to the ACW with 8 arrows of targetting.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3748 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

Uncommon uses for common spells...

Use Bless and healing spells to damage undead.

Summon Monsters is great for putting a buffer between you and something you don't want to reach you. The last time I tried this, I got lucky with the third summoning, had four fire beetles in a corridor between me and a quickling king, and happily zapped it with fire bolts until it dropped.

Any spell with high PP cost can be used to train Mana.

Disarm Traps is great to finish the Gremlin cave with. Also, if you don't have Detect Traps skill, you can throw the spell ahead of you when you're worried, and it will disarm even undiscovered traps.

Light injures Gremlins.

Teleport will not only teleport you, but teleport that annoying cat (or Hill Giant King) that's been following you around. Beware: Some monsters are resistent.

With the skill "Extended Magic", even a low-level Death Ray will reach for four spaces.

Darkness: Some monsters won't see you in the dark, thus won't attack; and you can attack them at your leisure. A certain large Water Dragon is one such creature. Note that her pet water elementals aren't.

Use Calm Monster on the farmers in the HMV; a crowned lawful character doesn't want to kill them.

Slow Monster is very useful for trying to outrun something... and it can't be dodged. However, it's usable on yourself, too: Use it to slow yourself down to maximize the XP from a big kill, but only if you know you're definitely going to be able to kill it even at half your speed.

For Drakelings, Improved Fireball can get cold-slowed muscles moving again.

Exploit vulnerabilities. Any fire-based creature is sensitive to Cold; any frost-based creature is sensitive to Fire. Steel Golems are sensitive to lightning.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5816 days, 12 hours, 4 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 at 06:56 (GMT -5)

If you have climbing & stealth skills, and are not going for an ultra, don't wish an aols... for the scrolls from rift are enough. damn, i finished the game with 1 socr & 1 pocc :E
wish for some lewt stuff instead... slb's or gogs, if you already have those wish for eternium platemails or dragon armors. i suggest eternium platemails if you already have lots of resistances since i think eternium plates have more pv... and they are more stylish.
or then, ofcourse eternium wpns... eternium spears rock - better than scorched.
Portrait
Mike
Registered user
I like magic

Last page view:

7214 days, 14 hours, 35 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 at 09:21 (GMT -5)

slb?gogs? ARG. Im never going to learn all these short forms.. I figured socr and pocc out but damn some stuff just are too hard :| can't figure half of these tricks out.. "Do DOsSd to get IFDmnD from the OASnd and to obtain ToRzAS to later JAdD the Mdjye For MfJS!". They look like that to me :]
You hit the Ancient Red Dragon and transform it into a mangled heap.

"sorry mr. dragon, I just tried to poke you..." -Zin Zu the High Elven Monk

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/14/2004 at 09:22 (GMT -5) by Mike]
Danielle unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 at 14:11 (GMT -5)

SLB GoGS SoCR PoCC ToRR WoWi WoW

Seven League Boots Girdle of Giant Strength Scrolls of chaos reistance Potions of cure corruption Trident of the Red Rooster, Wand of wishing Wand of Wonder
Laatuska
Registered user

Last page view:

7198 days, 12 hours, 51 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 at 01:10 (GMT -5)

I wouldn't wish for any eternium armor, I have never gotten past D:30 or so without finding one. Although you might get one with a prefix of suffix if you wish for multiple armor but they're pretty weak usually. SoCR's are nice for getting rid of those unwanted corruptions. Even if you don't die to corruption, they can be your downfall if you can't get rid of them (say base movement 1500 when you're trying to run away).
Unnamed
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 04:44 (GMT -5)

Dip rings in to blessed potions of exchange. I once got 19 RoDS this way. You must do this in deeper levels of CoC, because of danger level.

Don't play chaos roulette, if you don't have any other choices. I've lost too many characters this way. Besides "PC died in believing promises of chaos" isn't very nice death message for L+ chars.

Don't underestimate magic missiles. They bounce, don't destroy any items and nothing is immune to them. If you are playing wizard, Greater titans are lethal foes. Immune to all elements, death ray resistance, and MM doesn't seem to hit them. Use PETRIFICATION. It will eventually turn them to stone.
Amazarak
Registered user

Last page view:

6896 days, 13 hours, 57 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 05:51 (GMT -5)

The idea isn't in fact mine, but of one of my colleagues.
Want to improve your skills in Shield weapon group to 1x in several minutes?
Prerequisites:
- Crystal, adamantium, or other metal Tower Shield. Its' DV determines to which level you will be able to advance Your skill.
- Some way to deal with acidic jellies (for expample stone spear. In my case it was SoN).
- Second shield may be quite useful, but is not necesary.
- SoVC is also nice in emergency cases.

So what You do is:
1. Go to ID. Find an ochre jelly.
2. Lure it into an appropriate room. It should have dimensions at least 5x5. The smaller the better, though. Close the room behind You and your jelly.
3. Stand in the middle of the room. Let the jellies breed. Let them hit Your shield ("You block the o.j." message). It may be necesary to remove some of your armor or changing tactics.
4. Trace amount of points needed to advance in skill level every turn. If the gain drops below somthing about 20, kill the nearest jellies, allowing the new ones to hit you and breed.

Continue until get bored or advanced shields as needed.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/16/2004 at 05:52 (GMT -5) by Amazarak]
Rass
Registered user
Ranger captain

Last page view:

7154 days, 12 hours, 4 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 07:34 (GMT -5)

I have also got some useful and not so useful tips.

1. When you have reached Drakalor Chain, the second step takes double time. If your speed isn't greater than 106-109.

2. When you see a quickling king, don't run away for gods sake! The quickling king gets like 7 turns more than you. Instead try to kill it with bolt spells.

3. Always drop your herbs to the altar corresponding your deity before 'U'sing or eating them. Since cursed moss of mareilons and morgia roots have negative effects. If you happen to have almost all herbs cursed, 'r'ead blessed scroll of uncursing.

4. Don't use your gold as a sacrificing gift if you aren't a dwarf. Go rather buy stuff or train with garth. Much more useful. Try to sacrifice all proper monsters you see ( Those who aren't your gods 'own creatures' ).

5. Yergius is easy to kill with mindcraft. Simply lock his room door with thieves picks or a proper key and go outside. Keep blasting him from the outside, and you'll eventually kill him.

6. Before attacking a high-lvl enemy that hasn't noticed you or doesnt care about you, check it's speed first.

7. Always have means of escape. Teleportitis+Teleport control= Victoly!

8. Always bless your water.

9. Avoid killing monsters in SMC.

It's always neat to see monsters killing eachother.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 17:44 (GMT -5)

Cursed morgia roots don't have a negative effect. As far as I know there is no difference in effect between cursed/uncursed/blessed morgia roots, except possibly satiation value.
oh, and it's not wise to rely on teleportitis as a means of escape, it won't necessarily activate when you need it.
firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

Hm, i think cursed morgia has neg effect.but you gotta eat 4, just like blessed to notice effect...if your stats are at max (25), your potential will go down which you wont notice.
Unnamed
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 at 05:11 (GMT -5)

Even cursed morgia roots train your Wi and To. I agree with alex.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 19, 2004 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

ahem, I hate to labour the point, but I know I'm right. I often use cursed morgia to train tougness & willpower up from 10-ish up to 25 with characters that don't have herbalism, it's just a little more tedious is all.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: