Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / How do u guys get so good?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

killer
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

Man, i play for at least 1 and a half a day and the highest guy i've got is a level 21 gnomish elementaist.Any suggestions?
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at 02:07 (GMT -5)

Good enough..
Morio Unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at 03:05 (GMT -5)

Yes thats quite good I've only gotten past that level twice
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6664 days, 15 hours, 22 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

How To Be Good:PLAY PLAY AND PLAY

i have played almost year and i still suck

<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3892 days, 18 hours, 10 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

And after you have PLAYED, PLAYED and PLAYED then just PLAY a bit more

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

353 days, 18 hours, 36 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

One thing I found now that I had truly underestimated back when I was savescumming was herbs.

To start with you gain Wi, Dx and To.
And curaria mancox lets you play on sick with relatily little risk, which lets you gain even more Wi, Dx and To. Also indirectly you can gain Ma through eating Kobold Shamans with this.
Then there is the Spensweeds.. 100 blessed speseweeds in the tool slot combined with decent speed drasticly increase your chance of survival.
At the cost of bad Healing training of corse.

And then there are the Stomafilla, which after you find, you'll never have to worry aboute food again.

I think, by using this, and other stat raising tactics my record is aboute 40 in every stat at lv:23.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 14 hours, 49 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

I got as good I am now by not bothering to figure out anything about the game by myself. I learned to solve quests and puzzles, know monsters' weaknesses and strategies against them, general tips and tactics for survival and pretty much everything I know about the game from these forums, rec.games.roguelike.adom and most notably Andy Williams' guidebook. Reading it through and always checking it when in doubt will make your gaming notably easier, albeit a whole lot less fun. If you want to get the most out of your game, try to do everything yourself and avoid spoilers.

Oh, another thing came to my mind: I stopped cheating. You just won't learn to play the game if you use ADOMF, savescum, temper with temp files, hex edit stuff etc. How far you get in the game will be decided only by how good stuff/stats/spells/resistances you give your char by cheating.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/4/2004 at 14:39 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
tyrus568
Registered user
Live.. Explore... Die.

Last page view:

7176 days, 3 hours, 50 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 at 23:54 (GMT -5)

It's actually like any other vastly complicated game - easy to learn, yet hard to master. Like what's been repeated over and over here, higher level characters always possess an element of luck to them, but there is no substitute for experience. Like J. commented on above, the learning doesn't have to be all trial-and-error, but a lot of that is also what adds to the fun, adds to the mystery. It gives that feeling of unlimited potential, like anything could happen, and often does.
Once you know and have experienced the majority of the game repeatedly, it can be harder to keep it fresh, especially with a class combination that you tended to play a lot with early on. The wide selection of race/class combos greatly add to the replayability, and again it helps to add that special "something" after months or years of playing.

The one who is good at shooting does not aim for the center of the target.
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 at 07:34 (GMT -5)

well, i have gotten over 20 Avatar endings (at least one with each class) and a few regular endings also. Something that I always do is to create gremlin pits, usually on level 2 of the High King dungeon in the upper left hand corner of the map. I kill between 2000 and 3000 of them. It trains whatever weapon I want. It will take a weapon level of 0 to about 10, and a weapon level of 8 to 11 or so.

Also, its a great way to potentially score an AoLS, RoDS, or WoW for a wish. ALso, you may score regeneration items, rings of ice, ?ofDanger, ! of cure corruption, and wand of monster creation for the ultimate endings. Otherwise, it would be hard to win all of those avatars.

Plus, I think its fun, and you can get good potions and scrolls and just about everything possible by doing that. Trust me, you will love the heaps of items that you pick up!

Thats one way I have successful characters
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

353 days, 18 hours, 36 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

Aboute that tip biz..

Are there any limits on how many items that can be lying on one level at the same time?

Once when I applied that tactic on ID:l9 the game crashed and I think I got something out off the message like that it could be because of to meny items.

Otherwise I always do that directly after the Pyramid so that I have the ankh + 2 blessed rings of luck..
Once after aboute 2000kills there was 4!oGA in the pile.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/5/2004 at 09:35 (GMT -5) by Marillion]
the biz
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 at 12:49 (GMT -5)

i dont believe that there is a limit on items in a level, however there is a limit on the number of monsters in a level. For example, if you make a water trap next to a teleportation trap, and gremlins get on the loose all over the level, instead of triggering the water trap to generate more gremlins in your immediate facility, the gremlins will dodge the trap and your unlimited line of gremlins to kill will diminish, causing the procedure to become a pain in the ass.

You probably got that common crash that occurs when you step on a bunch of items, maybe 291?

Anyway, save your game before, save it after, and always save after getting a wish or an artifact (or anything else you wouldnt want to lose to a crashed game)
Portrait
Majin
Registered user
Pierced

Last page view:

7306 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 at 23:21 (GMT -5)

With making gremlin pits, if you cast darkness in the room with the water trap do they trigger it more often?

What do you Wish for?_
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6502 days, 14 hours, 34 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 at 04:15 (GMT -5)

Oddly enough I'd guess gremlins can probably see in the dark.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, March 07, 2004 at 22:34 (GMT -5)

The difference between an amateur player and a good one is simple. You don't find people who are half-way.. Amateur players treat their characters like second class citizens, and Good players love their characters. Give your character plenty of attention and care, and soon they'll grow into that beefy barbarian you've always secretly desired!
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3593 days, 22 hours, 17 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

Larrack, I don't think you'tr exactly right. I love all my characters and still they don't always get to higher levels than 20.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Anarchy2
Registered user
- Tainted Love -

Last page view:

7276 days, 20 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 at 08:11 (GMT -5)

It's probably because you secretly hate them deep within your heart.

Fear me not,I'll go nice on you....For now.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3593 days, 22 hours, 17 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 at 09:08 (GMT -5)

Maybe. Perhaps that's why I get bored at lv 20 and stop playing them for some weeks.
For the Horde!
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 at 09:30 (GMT -5)

Argh, my so far best char died to my own stupidity (how surprising...).
High Elven Beastfighter...rocked the whole time. Found a WoW somewhere, 0 charges though, but got myself 3 7LBs :) Got all neat stuff, dragon scalemails and stuff. Had tons of healing potions and herbs...one reason why I was so pissed when I died.
I fought the Snake, slew it with ease, though took damage. Decided not to heal there as the coast seemed clear. Swimmed over a few tiles of water and landed on dry dungeon floor to realize an Acid Vortex coming behind the corner. For some purely idiotic reason I decided to fight it in melee instead ranged, hit it once, svoosh! the vortex did what vortices do...about 150 damage took me below zero... Very frustrating to know very well about the blessed potions of ultra and extra healing and blessed spenceweed.
I've declared a time of mourning and decided not to play Adom for very very long time....
Kryllion
Registered user

Last page view:

7037 days, 13 hours, 42 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 08, 2004 at 18:21 (GMT -5)

Nine hours later - how's your new character coming?

~Kryllion~
Master of the Screeching Humanling
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

I tried different combos, nothing worked. I'm really leaving Adom for a while.
Moomooo
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

LMAO :D
meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 16:56 (GMT -5)

other than knowing every monster in the game adn it's capabilities, where to find the stuff you need, where to level, all you gotta do is take your time, lol. seriously, if you rush through a pack of giant rats cause you think you're too damn good to be botherd with it the ghul you didn't notice is now paralyzing your a**. be very patient at all times.

also, try archers, wizards or bards. very good strong characters that can pull of a victory with ease. just keep it slow.
Mikey
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 at 02:11 (GMT -5)

My loss was even worse, i closed the chaos gate and decided to go and kill Filk (Lvl 30 of the ID for me), got down to level 30 and realised i was getting corrupted. Thought what the hell! Looked in my inventory and found the amulet of raw steel and sheild of raw steel, my elementalist is screwed, i've used all 10 of my SoCR and the greater white unicorn quest reward. It sucks.
Mikey
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 at 02:13 (GMT -5)

Also, meestro_mozart, i find that archers have a VERY hard time in the ToEF I can never get enough metal arrows for my H Elf, of G Elf archers. And no matter my DV i always get corrupted to the nines
meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 at 02:56 (GMT -5)

Thats why you get rings of ice, solves arrow problem.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6843 days, 16 hours, 52 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 at 07:53 (GMT -5)

Sorry Mikey but I actually laughed when I saw what you had done :(
Mikey
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 22, 2004 at 21:47 (GMT -5)

No problem with the elementalist, if i drop the aritfacts while trying to find the up stairs i don't get corrupted, but when i go up the stairs the artifacts reappear in my pack. So i don't lose them, don't know why i even got then kept them, not good sacrificial fodder. I've already generated in excess of 20 artifacts so another post crowning is not likely. Problem fixed.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: