Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / A few questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3891 days, 21 hours, 27 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

Does the uncursed vs cursed status of metal ingots affect smithing?

I got a message something like "Not even with your best efforts you can't improve the mithril cap (+7 +8). Does this mean that there is no way that I can improve the helmet by smithing?

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6501 days, 17 hours, 50 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

For the first question, I would imagine so, and presumably blessing makes them even better - however they require a pot of water each to bless, which would be incredibly wasteful. Just read a blessed scroll of uncursing after you finish melting all your stuff.
Second question, no, I've had that message sometimes and then gone on to improve the item. I don't know what the difference between that message and the regular 'you fail to improve the -item- is.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5607 days, 6 hours, 7 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

Just a wild guess, but I would guess that improving items by smithing require passing two checks:

1. Skill check that is affected by the smithing skill level. Failing this check could result in that "You fail to improve..." message.
2. Some kind of "item resistance", affected by the current status of the smithed item. [+7,+8] is pretty high for a mithril cap and it could be that it would be hard to improve. Failing this check could result in the "Despite your best efforts..." message.

And Alex: how about using holy water to bless the item itself before melting it down. It would require just one holy water and AFAIK melting down heavy items result in many ingots. I would guess melting down a blessed moloch armor would probably result in lots of blessed eternium ingots, right ?

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3891 days, 21 hours, 27 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 08:51 (GMT -5)

Yes I came up with this idea that the smithing skill simply isn't high enoug to improve te cap.

"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 25, 2004 at 17:36 (GMT -5)

IIRC the status of the item melted does not effect the status of the ingots. I remember trying this, but it was a long time ago and I might be wrong.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: