Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / black tome of snuffleufagus

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

maestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at 01:55 (GMT -5)

does anyone actually use this thing? i wonder if you were born in the unicorn, with elemental gauntlets on if it wouldnt' be that bad. do the guantlets even reduce corrup like that? maybe alchamy gloves too.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 4 hours, 4 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at 02:57 (GMT -5)

What does it do?

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
maestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at 03:13 (GMT -5)

when you read it you learn a random spell but it corrupts pretty heavily.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5636 days, 4 hours, 19 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at 04:13 (GMT -5)

Black tome of alsofuckus is the most useless thing n the game. Period. Best use for it is just to kick it around to a shop or something, just don't use it. You'll probably gain 5 corruptions before you get to learn one single useful spell anyway.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

If it didn't corrupt you by carrying it, it was guaranteed to give you at least 100 points of learning in a spell even with just 1 literacy, and only gave a tenth of the corruption you get from reading it, it STILL wouldn't be worth it.

Edit: And no, elemental gauntlets don't reduce corruption. No equipment at all gives any kind of corruption resistance. The only ways to resist corruption are with level 50 paladins, farmers, and some other class. I forget which.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/10/2004 at 13:47 (GMT -5) by its author]
Other guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at 16:36 (GMT -5)

Well, not completely useless... If you need potions of raw chaos before finding another way to do it... (the most useless thing in the game is probably a worthless piece of glass)
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 13 hours, 27 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 at 17:00 (GMT -5)

elemental gauntlets half the corruption gained by using the orbs. So go touch yourself some guy ;~~{

J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 11, 2004 at 03:11 (GMT -5)

Other guy: no, the most useless item in the game is the potion of uselessness, remember? ;)

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 at 16:31 (GMT -5)

Didn't know that. Does it say that anywhere?

And I'll touch myself when I want to! No wait, let me rephrase that...
Revelation
Registered user
I'll think up a title later...

Last page view:

5758 days, 23 hours, 5 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

How many spells can you learn before it disappears/you turn into a chaos creature/something else that's bad happens?
Thomas Biskup, the Creator, casts Final Code. You become doomed. Your equipment turns to dust! You feel corrupted. You are stunned! You feel like you haven't eaten in days. You are starving!. Your Willpower drops to 0. You PP becomes 0. You die.
Would you like to see the last message before your death? (y/N)

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 17:56 (GMT -5)

Good topic necromancy.

It doesn't disappear, but I think it gives about 700 points of corruption when you read it. I've only tried it a little bit so I'm probably wrong or exaggerating. And you get a corruption every 1000 points and after about 17 or 18 corruptions you turn into a chaos creature, so do the math.

Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 00:45 (GMT -5)

so potentially, if you save scummed you could get less then 1 corruption and learn wish by reloading everytime you get an undesirable spell? :P or a useless one anyway
heavy plow of chaos
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 04:11 (GMT -5)

feeding it to the ratling, saccing, selling. the book has some uses though
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 10:24 (GMT -5)

It doesn't give you a fixed number of corruption when reading, as the thing corrupts you a bit every turn you're carrying it. Reading the book takes different amounts of time depending on how difficult the spell is that you're trying to learn. So if you suddenly start learning death ray, you'll gain more corruption than if you learned light from the book, as it takes longer.

That's how I remember it works. I NEVER use it, though, so I might be wrong.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/5/2004 at 10:24 (GMT -5) by J.]
Revelation
Registered user
I'll think up a title later...

Last page view:

5758 days, 23 hours, 5 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

Hmm... Big risk, but possible rewards... (Like a wish/death ray spell, or possible corruption that you actually like/need... ^_^)

Thomas Biskup, the Creator, casts Final Code. You become doomed. Your equipment turns to dust! You feel corrupted. You are stunned! You feel like you haven't eaten in days. You are starving!. Your Willpower drops to 0. You PP becomes 0. You die.
Would you like to see the last message before your death? (y/N)

Dalrok
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 16:41 (GMT -5)

Black tome of Alsophocus actually was useful to me. I had only 6-7 corruptions when I was about to enter the ChAoS plane and had already cleared out the level. I opened the tome, read a few spells to gain corruption and could enter. Well, I admit I could've done something else, but nothing else benefitted me and tome saved some time, so didn't matter. Also, carried the sceptre of chaos and black tome of alsophocus with me to the ChAoS plane. :)
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 13 hours, 27 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

I think the book gives the base corruption gained by reading it and then the extra corruption dependant on how good your char is in literacy -> how many turns he takes reading it, no?

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: