Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Confusion resistance

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Malchor
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 09:10 (GMT -5)

I just stumbled upon a huge room with tons of undead at D:44. The room is full of liches, master liches, lich kings and a lich emperor.
I don't have confusion resistance so it's kinda hard clearing the room. Does anyone know any good ways to get confusion resistance? Specific items or something.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5760 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 09:30 (GMT -5)

Ring of mental stability, helm of mental stability (which always appears as a crystal helmet) and possibly also ring of the clear mind. You can't get innate confusion resistance, unfortunately.

High willpower helps you resist confusion, so hold the Water Orb.

Two very important tips to help you survive: be invisible (so the ghosts don't notice you) and stay back from the lich kings and emperor liches so they can't drain your stats.
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

7124 days, 3 hours, 31 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

The room is commonly known as "Greater Undead Vault", and many characters, especially non-spellcasting ones, choose to leave these alone, since they rank among the most dangerous things in the game.

1. You should check the artifact list for confusion resistance-granting items, maybe you have some of these. Unfortunately, the only guaranteed artifact giving that is the axe of the minotaur emperor, which is extremely hard to get... especially without the resistance in question.

2. You might want to drink from the pools... if you really need the confusion resistance THAT bad.

3. I had a nice opportunity to check how willpower affects confusion resistance with my DE assassin. Ingredients: karmic wyrm pit deep in the ID, natural Wi of about 4-6 after the bug temple, Water Orb, Sword of Nonnak, Preserver, confusion resistance from crown of leadership. And I must say that wielding Sword of Nonnak, Water Orb and wearing Preserver (for a whopping +22 to Wi) DIDN'T seem to help me neither in resisting confusion attacks nor in decreasing the duration of successful ones. Conclusion: Wi effects in this regard are either nonexistant or negligible.

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
Malchor
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 11:41 (GMT -5)

Ah, thanks. I had a helm of mental stability.

Any tips on how to clear the room? I have to kill the liches or they'll just keep summoning new monsters, right?
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

What's your class? Wizards and such with 32+ Wi should teleport a couple of steps away from higher liches (the distance should be there to avoid stat drains) and acidball them into oblivion. (Lightning Ball and Fireball should work too; unfortunately, Ice Ball, far more gentle in terms of loot destruction, won't work - those liches are immune to frost.) After that it would be a matter of clearing up the mess.

Frankly, I don't have ANY idea how fighter/thief types can deal with the greater undead vault. This must be a daring enterprise, and I'm not sure that artifact loot would pay off for all those stat drains, and plain risk of being killed.

Greater Segmentation Vault (emperor memory leak surronded by memory leak kings and master memory leaks)
maestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

definately, if i'm a wizard with tons of will and tons of acidball i'll do it. never tried it with a fighter type though. maybe if you had the rune covered trident as a fighter type, or ToRR you could take them by throwing it at 'em. dunno
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 18:23 (GMT -5)

Yeah. But it's not guaranteed to return.

No, I think it's plain suicide to take on a GUV with pure fighter-type. It *might* be possible, especially with some extensive use of wands, potions, scrolls, gems etc. But the chance of success would be horribly low.

Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

If you got the hexagonal vault with the rectangular middle room, you should be able to kill all the liches with 64 willpower + ball spell, and 48 gets most of them, without ever having a lich see you. You'll need wands of monster detection to check on your progress. Ironically, my paladin who won the game got this exact vault, but my wizard who just won, got NO greater vaults at all.

Somewhat off topic: Is it possible for a emeperor lich to pop out of a "great treasures" grave? My friend said this happened to him but I don't believe him.
maestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 at 01:51 (GMT -5)

it is definately possible. my soiled computer chair can vouch for that. that's why i NEVER dig those graves w/o teleport capabilities. and have a +40 burning hands ready too. having an EL pop out doesn't even mean you're gonna get something good in the grave.

has anyone ever used destroy undead to good effect against the tougher undead creatures? i've never had it be too effective against anythign other than ghuls and whatnot.
Malchor
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 at 05:36 (GMT -5)

Ok, I decided to just skip it. I was a lvl 37 high elven priest. I had lots of spells, but no ball spells. Haven't gotten one in the entire game. Is it just wizards who find such spellbooks?

Btw, the confusion tip didn't seem to work. I have 34 willpower and a helm of mental stability on my head. But I still get confused constantly. Any other tips to avoid it? Could really need it now. Trying to finish mana temple.
Ry
Registered user
The Eternal Newbie

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 at 06:20 (GMT -5)

Malchor, yeah... play a mindcrafter :-) That's about the only good thing I can say about mindcrafters (sorry, Ferret :-) - they don't have any problems with confusion.

Btw, did you do the rift? There's a good chance to find some ball spells in the Sinister Library (although my dwarven priest haven't found one there).

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 15 hours, 34 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 at 11:39 (GMT -5)

Don't do the vault if you can't avoid getting confused. You'd just end up staggering in the middle of all the liches and getting your stats drained. Maybe you could handle it after some gaining a few levels. Try to get that Wi up. As a last resort, get a blessed girdle of greed, gamble for 500 billion(actually don't, I don't know if the game could handle that much money) gold and pay garth for willpower training. That has been toned down but should do something(you do have at least 25 Wi from eating herbs right?)

One thing you should also have is paralyzation resistance. All liches can paralyze you and that's not a good thing. They're not extremely dangerous in melee but that could still happen.

If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/24/2004 at 11:42 (GMT -5) by J.]
maestro_mozart
Registered user

Last page view:

7274 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 at 22:17 (GMT -5)

i don't think any confusion resistance item can keep you from getting confused, they just make it last only a turn or two instead of 50 or whatever. that doesn't matter much when 20 liches are confusing you though. there's nothing easy about that vault w/o tons of acidball with very high willpower.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6502 days, 15 hours, 19 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 at 05:00 (GMT -5)

I got confused by keriax a couple of times wearing two blessed rings of the clear mind and blessed bracers of war, so you can't guarantee resistance. It only lasted for a turn or two though.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5818 days, 42 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 at 10:45 (GMT -5)

yeah fighters are in a hell in greater undead vaults... I once cleared the outer circle of a vault shaped something like this
#######
# #
# ## #
# #
#######

Well, that's only a miniature but anyway, i think you get the point.. the inner room was filled with baddies so no chances there..

Unnamed
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 05:08 (GMT -5)

I once got three! greater vaults playing gray elven wizard. One was undead vault and I decided to ignore it after getting artifacts. Other two were giant vaults. Got nicely artifacts.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 17:25 (GMT -5)

My winner meleed his way through two greater undead vaults, which took him from level 31 to 43 iirc. Did he get stat drained? yes, yes, and yes he did. I didn't care though, as none of my stats were above 28-ish except strength, and I'd only drunk one poga. training stats back up doesn't take that long, - strength, stomaceptia + devils rose + giant corpses will give you base strength of about 36, learning is not very important by the endgame, dex, will & to are easily trained with herbs, ch and ap are irrelevant, mana can be trained with spells for mage types or is unimportant for figter types, and perception can be trained to 20 with pots of carrot juice. I'd say the potential benefits easily outweigh the costs unless you've already drunk most of your pogas/pots of stat.

meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

you've got sooome self control saving your PoGA for that long, lol. i never wait more than a turn after i'm done training stats, lol.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5760 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 04:08 (GMT -5)

Alex: were you invisible, and if not, how did you avoid getting unnaturally aged? I lost several Orcish Assassins that way before finally winning with one.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 04:14 (GMT -5)

no I wasn't invisible, and I did get aged, by about 110 years. I was playing a dwarf, so it wasn't that big a problem, though I think I was right on the cusp of middle age.

BlackDragonIncarnate
Registered user
NotAllThere

Last page view:

7273 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:48 (GMT -5)

lol, love your signature Alex.

People stabbed in the face don't talk much
     Mostly they just gurgle
          And bleed
    -Black Mage
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

:)

Egg king
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

You know that GTB is your best friend for fighting things you dont want to stand next too:)

Good to see someone else does the same as me and waits to late game to drink all the stat boosters.
Ahh theres nothing quite like the feeling of drinking 14 PoGA and 15 or so PoStat, its almost like having a new badass character(Which it sort of is:)
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 at 07:49 (GMT -5)

grah. I just found another greater undead vault. I forgot to zap wand of item detection so I don't know what's in it, but I'm playing an orc so, I think attempting it (without about 100 blessed potions of longevity) would be suicide.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: