Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / Thief

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

6499 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 at 20:54 (GMT -5)

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or
spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our
burden is not for the dependent of spirit."
-- Mayar, Third Keeper

I was a kid. No parents, no home. Running messages and picking pockets to keep my ribs from meeting my spine. One night I saw a man...folks just passed him by like he wasn't there. I thought he must have something valuable, so I snuck up on him and made a grab.

"Ugh!"
"That's not for you."
"Please, sir, I'm hungry. Don't tell the Hammers, I promise..."
"What is your name, boy?"
"Garrett."
"You have talent, lad."
"Let go of me, old man!"
"To see a Keeper is not an easy thing. Especially one who does not wish to be
seen. We have a need for those as gifted as yourself. If you've grown tired of
how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."
"Leave me alone!"
"As you wish."

I caught up with him just before he vanished into the crowd. It was the
beginning of a very long education....

"The most promising acolyte left us, not out of the lesser folly of sentiment,
but the greater folly of anger. His heart was clouded, and his balance was
lost, but his abilities were unmatched. Even then, we knew to watch him most
carefully."
-- Keeper Annals

I have a simple job planned for this evening. Break into a guarded mansion,
steal another fat nobleman's priceless trinket, and leave quietly. Lord Bafford
is out of town, and rumour has it that the captain of his house guard went with
him, as a bodyguard. The time is ripe for a bit of burglary.

The front gate of Lord Bafford's manor is always guarded, and the main street
is far too exposed. But Cutty tells me there's a better way in...around to the
side, more out of the way. One guard, and likely no witnesses to...complicate
matters.

The piece Cutty wants is a scepter...silver, jewels, the usual adornments. It
should command a high price. Bafford, like most of his kind, probably keeps his
treasures on the top floor of the place. Close to his heart...and far from his
servants.

No point in waiting. I have Cutty's old sketches of the place, and everyone
who's going to be asleep inside already is. It's time to begin....

OOC:Anybody can care to join in.

"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."- Voltaire
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven."- John Milton, Paradise Lost
"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

[Edited 5 times, last edit on 4/26/2004 at 21:07 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
Portrait
psypig
Registered user
Electro Junkie

Last page view:

7275 days, 22 hours, 10 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 at 13:54 (GMT -5)

a lone guard stood in front of the servant's entrance. no-one ever asked him his name and if they did he would reply that he didn't have one.
people like him generally found things a lot easier if they were harder to track down. Lord Bafford, like many noblemen, employed guards from the more questionable backgrounds and this one was no exception.

Tonight was proving to be a very boring night, but people like Lord Bafford could afford to employ people who didn't fall asleep on the job. The guard's attention was drawn by a noise from the surrounding darkness. Muffled footsteps? Or just the wind playing tricks? either way, the guard knew better than to leave the door unguarded to investigate. 'But,' thought the guard as he drew a dagger from his belt, 'maybe it will add some interest to the night.' And with that thought he stalked into the darkness

OOC:first time i've tried this. i hope it's not too bad :)
God is dead and no-one cares
If there is a hell i'll see you there.
-NIN
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 21:24 (GMT -5)

OOC:Not bad, just remember to capitalize. ;-).

Garret walked through The City, as it was commonly called. Guards were all over the main enterance to the Bafford estate, no way in hell was he going to be able to fight his way through them. He checked his map....Ah! A stash of water arrows, which he would use to take out the torches that were so prevalent in the Bafford estate. He walked as fast as stealth allowed, and located his cache. The cache was located in a hard to reach nook, not something that somebody would normally see. Footsteps alerted him to the precence of someone. He moved back into the darkness. A servant, by the looks of him. He made a quick decision, and pulled out his blackjack as the man walked past. A quick tap on the head sent the man to a pleasant sleep, from which he would wake up from with a rather large bump on his head.

He walked quietly down the streets, stopping now and then to check his map. He entered into the sewers, to see if he could find another secondary route in. No such thing, but he did find a misplaced golden ring, which he added to his loot bag.

Garrett moved out of the sewers. A guard or two should be near, as he reached his way in. He moved into the darkness, careful to---Damn!

Garrett cursed himself for not looking where he was stepping, for the tinkling of the glass he just broke was sure to draw attention. Sure enough, a guard came sauntering to his general location.

He never knew what hit him. Garrett moved his unconcious body to a location in the sewers, away from the water and rats. He was a thief, not a murderer.

He got out of the sewer, and set off to the well in the servants area. Rumor had it that the mortar and stone were broken in the basement, and that he could get in that way....

"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love."- Kahlil Gibran
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."- Voltaire.
"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."-Salman Rushdie

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/29/2004 at 21:29 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1219 days, 15 hours, 4 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 at 21:57 (GMT -5)

ooc:Damn i love the Thief game, My first post will be a little short tonight due to time constraints.

William was a bit irritated tonight. The lord Bafford had discovered his trick of warming the salad to keep it from appearing wilted. A long talking to by a disgruntled guard had angered the head cook into plans of revenge.

Poison perhaps, or a slip of the knife? No that would never work, The untrusting Bafford always had Tasters for his food, and surrounded himself with lackeys willing to take a blade.

Will slipped along the corridors after finishing the nightly cleanup of the kitchen. Work was sparse when the head of the house was out on business.

He was a patient man, willing to wait to repay all the mistreatment laid upon him in this manor. He sat upon his bed with the torch in the sconce extinguished, fingers steepled and plotting...

Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

Garrett dragged the guard's body into a secluded area. He had jumped down the well (and nearly got drowned for his troubles), but the rumor was true: there was a back way into the Bafford Manor.

He made his way up the gravel path to the broken wall, careful not to move too quickly, for fear of a guard.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/2/2004 at 21:42 (GMT -5) by Jonesy]
Portrait
Annonymous
Registered user
USSR-obsessed Mad Science Geek

Last page view:

5881 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 at 11:56 (GMT -5)

Garrett then discovered a trap door under some gravel he had moved for some inexplicable reason only found in stories told by untalented people. He quietly opened it, and found a room lit only by torches on the walls. A huddled figure madly typed on some strange contraption with a lit panel, scrolling through lines of text and Hex decimals. Garrett, seeing that he wasn't a guard, asked his name. The figure, startled, whirled around to face Garrett. The man then introduced himself as Thomas Biskup.

OOC:HeLlO?!?!?! aNyOnE hOmE?!?!?! cOnTiNuE tHe StOrY!!!!!
You load your crossbow with ammo of Iridia slaying. You hit Iridia exactly and slay her. You a thundering voice in your head booms "THOU SHALT NOT SLAY THE GREAT MODERATOR!!!. YE SHALL PAY FOR THIS INSOLENCE!!!" Suddenly Jan Erik appears! You are hit by Jan Erik's arrow of banning! You die...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/7/2004 at 20:06 (GMT -5) by Annonymous]
Lamaros
Registered user
The sieve

Last page view:

7162 days, 14 hours, 5 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2004 at 03:32 (GMT -5)

Garrett reached out swiftly towards Thomas Biskup's face. Wrapping his middle and index finger around Thomas' nostrils he quickly slipped his thumb into it's place as he moved his hand back. "Got your nose!" he cried, and he turned and ran from the room.

Thomas got up and looked about intently for his assialant, but found nothing but shadows. Touching his nose carefuly to reassure him of it's current location he slipped warily back into his seat. The mystery fled from his mind as he was once again lost in his own private universe.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/23/2004 at 03:35 (GMT -5) by Lamaros]
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4949 days, 13 hours, 20 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 23:21 (GMT -5)

Garret looked around a corner. He cought sight of a half-awake guard leaning heavily against the wall, then moved his head of of the guards point of view. He wouldn´t be able to sneak past this guard; even the slightest sound would rouse him and most likely cause him to shout, making the entire mansion aware of his presence. Carefully he considered his options, and found that there was three of them. The first was to simply take another way around, but that would mean sneaking past other guards, and he wasn't sure he had passed them as unnoticed as he would have wanted to. The second option was to attack the guard right on, swords high, but that simply wasn't the way of a master thief. The third option, then, to take a gamble with a small stone and bit of patience. He took another look at the guard, and found that he had moved a bit, looking in an angle not quite, but almost. direclty at him. Garret threw the stone at the wall, causing the faintest of faint sounds. It was enough for the now wide awake guards to notice, and he turned his back on Garret, just as expected. Garret moved without hesitation, and moments later a faint *thud* broke the silence. Garret waited for a while, then smiled as he scanned the room for somewhere to hide the heavily breathing unconcious guard. "Another one bites the dust", he thought as he hid it under a couple of empty sacks.

OCC: How's that for a first post, eh?
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Jonesy
Registered user
Liberate Te Ex Inferis

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2004 at 17:02 (GMT -5)

OCC: Somebody posted on this? Whoa.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4892 days, 15 hours, 55 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 21:59 (GMT -5)

Suddenly, Garret heard the sounds of many feet. Scanning furiously, he saw a door to his left, unbolted and with no torch lit. He jumped inside and quietly closed the door. He heard a few people walk by outside, guards, judging by the clinking noises assosiated with the sleek crossbows of the wealthy bodyguard. Then he heard it. A faint noise, but enough to make the hair on the back of his neck stand on edge. It was breathing.
He spun around. There was a man lying on a bed, staring straight at him. In a moment, he had drawn his dagger and had it pointed at the man.
"If you know what's good for you, you'll go back to sleep."
"Are you a theif?"
"It's no concern of yours."
"Answer the question, Boy."
Garret hesitated. What harm could it do? If the man was going to turn him in, it wouldn't matter what he said. Better a theif than an assassian.
"Yes. I am."
"Exellent. Take this. If you can, find some way to slip this into Brafford's mouth while he's sleeping. It will keep him.. Out of your way."
"Thank you." said Garret. As he left, he was thinking of some of the uses this poison could have. He would not kill Brafford with it. He was not a murderer. However, Lethal poisons caught quite a high price on the black market...

OOC: how's that for 1st post? BTW, that was the cook. Thanks Armada.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: