Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Stories / Thomas and the mad carpenter

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
psypig
Registered user
Electro Junkie

Last page view:

7282 days, 1 hour, 38 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 at 13:59 (GMT -5)

[EDIT: spelling]

It was a dark time for Terinyo.
The time of the coming of Chaos, predicted by the great sage Khelavaster, was coming ever closer. Attacks by strange creatures upon local villages were becoming increasingly frequent. Many residents of Terinyo had already left, leaving behind those too stubborn or those simply unable to leave their homes. The hamlet now had about it an air of determination. The residents knew they had to continue with their lives as best they could, no matter how short those lives may end up being. They continued farming their land and tending their livestock until the attacks simply became too much, and people retreated to the relative safety of the village to await either starvation or death at the hands of an unknown enemy. It was at this time that Khelavaster announced his plan to strike at the source of Chaos’ incursion into Ancardia. Yrrigs, the village carpenter, accompanied him to the edge of the swampland to the south before turning back to help protect the home he had known since he was born.
It was on this return journey that Yrrigs noticed a previously hidden cave entrance at the foot of the eastern mountains. As his path brought him closer, he became certain he could see movement around the cave entrance. When he got back to Terinyo he received news of another attack while he was away. After several of the creatures had perished, the remainder fled towards the south-east – the direction of the cave entrance. Yrrigs set out at once with the intention of slaughtering the creatures hiding in the cave, therefore removing one of the threats to his beloved hometown.
Several weeks passed, and there was still no sign of Yrrigs, or word from Kelavaster. Several of the townsfolk were becoming uneasy with the prolonged absence of Yrrigs, as he had promised he would return in no more than one week. No-one knew what should be done, so people merely sat about and waited.

The early morning sun brought with it something that would change the fate of Terinyo, and all of Ancardia. A lone traveller was sighted on the horizon, carrying no equipment but the sword on his back. He reached Terinyo in the early afternoon, his arrival provoking a new wave of unease – who was this stranger who had come to Terinyo, and what was his purpose?
The stranger walked between the huts that made the hamlet, aware of the eyes that were staring at him from darkened rooms. He arrived at the centre of the settlement and stopped. When no one appeared to greet him he wondered if he was wrong about being watched, maybe this place was deserted?
“I wish to speak to your leader.” He called, casting his gaze around to see if he could see any signs of life.
“I mean you no harm” he added, becoming convinced he would find no company in this place. He was about to call one final time when he heard a voice from the nearest doorway:
“I think you had better come in, stranger. You may be able to help us.”
He turned and saw an old man in the doorway. After deciding the man was no threat, he walked towards the doorway, and went inside.

OOC:okay, i'd like this to be about thomas' (that's the stranger) quest to save Yrrigs. as you can see, i've not stayed very true to ADOM, i've just used it for ideas and a bit of background. consider this an official invitation to continue thomas' story. i don't really think he needs many (if any) companions, and he doesn't really want to find anything uber (cos if this one works we can continue the adventures of Thomas and he might find good stuff later). obviously he's gonna need to be told about yrrigs' dissapearance, but i ran out of steam :). anyway i hope this works and let's see what adventures Thomas will have.

p.s. i do not mean to mock the creator by using his name in vain, but i'm rubbish at thinking up names and seemed like a good idea at the time :)
God is dead and no-one cares
If there is a hell i'll see you there.
-NIN

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 5/8/2004 at 11:05 (GMT -5) by psypig]
Portrait
psypig
Registered user
Electro Junkie

Last page view:

7282 days, 1 hour, 38 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

OOC:well I’m gonna carry it on for a bit. Got nothing better to do. Here I go…

IC:

It was several hours later. The stranger had introduced himself as Thomas, explaining that this was a common name among his people who came from a province far away. Now he sat in the old man’s smoky hut, listening to the man describe recent events. There were no windows in this hut, and with the door closed only the faintest light managed to skulk into the room. The effect, along with the smoke billowing from the stove the old man had lit upon Thomas’ entry, was to reduce visibility to nothing. As he let the old man physically guide him to a stool in the centre of the room, he wondered if this was the old man’s way of making sure Thomas could not attack him. As his eyes became accustomed to the gloom, he could make out more of the room and it’s contents. He realised it wasn’t as sparsely furnished as first impressions had suggested, but in fact was decorated with hunting trophies and weapons. As he sat, listening to the old man and admiring the decorations within the hut, his mind started to wander. He began to think that there may be some wealth in this settlement after all, and where there was money, there was work. He had consumed the last of his food when still out of sight of this place, and desperately needed more provisions. Maybe he should ask this man if there was anything he could do to earn enough for some food, maybe a bed for the night-
“We need your help.” The sound of the old man’s voice suddenly filtered through into Thomas’ daydream, bringing him out of it with a start.
“Old man,” he said, “you ask for my help yet I do not even know your name.”
The old man looked at him for a moment, seeming to decide whether or not this stranger was truly trustworthy. He had already trusted the stranger this far, and saw no real cause for concern, so he decided to tell him.
“My name is Rynt, and I am the leader of this village, or at least what remains of it. We cannot survive for much longer in this situation. I may be the leader of this village but I am no fighter. Yrrigs was the one who organised the defence of our homes, and now he is gone. No-one knows when, or even if, he will return. If he is lost there is no hope for this place. We need to send someone to find him, and help him if necessary. None of my people dare leave the village, but you look like a brave soul who has seen his share of adventure. If Yrrigs is still alive and you could find and help him, we would be eternally grateful. We cannot offer much in reward, apart from our eternal thanks, but I beg you to help us. Our lives depend on it.”
Thomas looked up at Rynt’s face in time to see a tear trickle down the old man’s face. He realised this man truly cared about his home, and was relying on Thomas to save it. Thomas had come to this place in search of adventure and it looked like he had found one. He stood up from his stool and Rynt looked at him with a new vulnerability in his eyes. he had been reduced from elder of this village to snivelling old man begging help from a stranger. Thomas approached him and put one hand on Rynt’s shoulder.
“Do not worry, old man. I will help you.”

Thomas stood at the edge of the settlement, a new pack on his back full of provisions for his coming journey. The whole village had turned out to see him leave, and he realised just how few people were left here. He had to help these people save their home from the forces that assailed them. With this thought he waved his goodbye and began his journey to the eastern mountains.

OOC:cool he's actually (finally) on his way to help poor Yrrigs! it'll probably be a while before he reaches the montains - who knows what he'll come across on the way. i've purposely left thomas' description out so that people can add it if they want. if no-one posts anything i'll keep adding more with some regularity (i'm starting to enjoy this now :) ) but feel free to take over the tale of Thomas and let's see what happens!

God is dead and no-one cares
If there is a hell i'll see you there.
-NIN

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: