Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / ADom...Best RoguelikE?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6621 days, 7 hours, 15 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

NetHack = horid boredom >.<
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
Portrait
d666
Registered user
zombie

Last page view:

6804 days, 16 hours, 29 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 11:39 (GMT -5)

yeah, nh is too hard, and probably that's what makes me prefer adom (my favourite computer game, of course). IMO the latter is the most balanced of roguelikes, through not as complicated as nethack.
What do you wish for? *THUMBS* EM_
Silence.
Silence.
*THUMB* *THUMB* *THUMB*
You die...
Juzzo
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 at 17:59 (GMT -5)

I cant believe no-ones holding a torch for IVAN.

Ivan Has had me hooked for 3 years or so now, If any of you give it enough of a shot, youll find its pretty damn deep.

For me personaly, ADOM and IVAN are sharing the prize
juzzo
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

Sorry for the double post

Ivan has all the rougelikes besides ADOM beat.

Towns, dungeons, wilderness, wishing, severable limbs (which can be changed to different materials (besides flesh)) gods, altars, A storyline with side quests, hidden levels, bosses, normal ending and Alt endings (almost impossible) Much much more..

Oh, yea, actual graphics ;)
swoleNsexified
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 at 12:06 (GMT -5)

anyone know of a game called materia magica? I've never played it but it looks really cool, I've thought about trying it out
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5161 days, 14 hours, 2 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 20:28 (GMT -5)

Every roguelike(ish) I tried was too easy (Tome, Angband, Nethack, Rogue, Morrowind, Diablo, etc).
Adom is the best one.. too bad looks like Thomas Biskup is no more working on it.

I like URW, but I'll not consider it a "roguelike".. there are not magical swords, levels, monsters to kill for drops and xp, etc. Still a very good and complex game btw.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/23/2007 at 20:29 (GMT -5) by BrasilianWeirdVideos]
Worst Player... ever
Registered user

Last page view:

4686 days, 16 hours, 22 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 17:32 (GMT -5)

Many of the other Roguelikes are the ID in ADOM. They have variations to the rules, classes, and items, they have an objective, but they're still pretty much the ID. They're OK, I've certainly spent some days playing them, but there's just no comparison.

Plus while ADOM is extremely hard, the amount of 'unfair' deaths that are out of the players control seems to be much higher in most other roguelikes. Crawl in particular was a meat grinder IMO.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/27/2008 at 17:33 (GMT -5) by Worst Player... ever]
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4891 days, 18 hours, 46 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 at 22:35 (GMT -5)

I agree completely about Crawl being a meat
grinder. ADOM was the only roguelike that I
was really interested in for a long time. I
gave some others a shot, but never could get
interested in them. Crawl however, did have
a 'fun factor' to it, so I play it every once
in a while.

The furthest I have gotten in Crawl, is the
orc mines. It seems as though my characters
always live on the brink of starvation, because
they won't eat flesh unless they are starving.
For a spellcaster in that game, food seems to
be a big issue. In general, I don't like for a
roguelike to reward you for 'pillar dancing'.
While at the same time punishing you for
spellcasting.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 at 13:17 (GMT -5)

DOOMrl, DOOMrl, DOOMrl!

Seriously though...

DOOMRL!

Crawl is hard because I can't scum/farm for items and stats like in ADOM, and I'm really used to that kind of slow playing 'cause ADOM was my first roguelike.

Crawl has very good skill and spell systems and fun races and gods, it's a fun game. I play the tile version, it's nice to see what monsters are equipped with and if that ) on the ground is an axe or a sword or whatever.

IVAN is also crazy difficult IMO :)

I don't like Nethack.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5844 days, 18 hours, 56 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

It would be cool if people explain more why ADOM is better. I quote to names, Tome, there's a mac port so I'll try it a day. And nethack because: "pets are A LOT more useful" :-D
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 at 08:49 (GMT -5)

In my opinion, ADOM is actually the best roguelike on the world.

It is full of secrets, things to do, and even the most normal random dungeon on the id can hold surprises.. you never know what happens.
Compared to Adom, other roguelikes looks repetitive, easy and dull.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/11/2008 at 08:53 (GMT -5) by BrasilianWeirdVideos]
Someone7
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 23:49 (GMT -5)

I like ADOM better than Nethack, and I think ADOM is actually harder than Nethack. I've beat Nethack twice, and almost once with a Tourist (the nethack telnet server deleted my character for not logging in often enough). I've only done a normal ending with ADOM once.

Nethack is a lot more polished to me though. There are a lot less stupid classes with essentially little variation than ADOM, and there are lot more intricate details to stuff in Nethack. However, ADOM has more overall depth of gameplay, and is way more challenging. Once you get the ascension kit in Nethack, it is a very simple dive to the bottom to get the amulet. ADOM has more ways to kill even if you are a walking tank.
Brothers.Imp
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2009 at 14:40 (GMT -5)

I've been playing ADoM exclusively for almost 13 years, beaten it once, and still think its the best videogame ever made, period.

That said, DoomRL has facinated me lately. It is one of the most polished, easy to get into and fun RL to ever come along. I think its groundbreaking and anyone who considers themselves a RL fan should check it out.

PS: Anyone try Jeff Lait's Savescummer? Its a hilarous RL in-joke and great fun for an hour or so.
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

I hate Thomas Biskup for abandoning it, but I must say Adom is the best roguelike ever.

There are other great roguelikes: DoomRL, Crawl Stone Soup, Ivan.. but Adom is currently the best one IMO.
EH
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 04:54 (GMT -5)

ADOM is definitely the hardest roguelike I ever played. Not only are the spells limited to an amount of memory slots, the tick clock will set off 'corruption' disease, forcing you to make a move forward.

As ADOM in being the best known roguelike created on the net, I say it deserves that title. This game has good writing in voluntary npc interaction and quests, but not without throwing every kind of obstacle it can muster at you! ADOM is the game that introduced me to a concept of timed/ticked gradual corruption with almost no immunities. I thought the gradual corruption feature was overrated because this feature reminds me of those adventure games with a time limit (I do not like those kind of games). Submerging in the game detail and storylines is not a good in-game option as you would have to race the tick/clock to either rise as the victor or succumb to a defeat of corruptions.

ADOM is a game and fits that description very well. It challenges you with all its variables aimed to serve a sense of realism to players by incorporating both free determination and destiny.
If you wanted to play the most fleshed out roguelike (one that holds high role-play and gaming elements) there ever, I suggest to play 'ADOM: Ancient Domain of Mysteries'.
Sradac
Registered user
10 year adom vet, ONE win!

Last page view:

4848 days, 8 hours, 42 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 19:20 (GMT -5)

ADOM is the most known roguelike? since when?

check http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com/2011/01/full-results-for-ascii-dreams-roguelike.html

ADOM isnt even ON that list.

ADOM is good and all, but its dated and all of its secrets have been revealed.

Now ToME on the other hand, rocks. Kept me quite happy since TB has decided to let ADOM and JADE decay into states of disregard.
"the Gut Man challenge. Play without skills. You have to plug your ears with beewax ASAP, and keep some spare in case they melt; as soon as you fall in a pit, you die, press shift+Q; start without healing and concentration so you can't possibly benefit from their effects... it's almost possible. "

-maul
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3593 days, 18 hours, 52 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 20:06 (GMT -5)

No offence Sradac, but if ADOM isn't even on that list then it's not a serious poll.
For the Horde!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 16 hours, 30 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 14:26 (GMT -5)

The poll only looks at games that have been updated in the last year, so ADOM is obviously lacking. I've no doubt that if ADOM did have even a minor update it would appear highly on the list.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

4 days, 16 hours, 32 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

All Roguelike games are generally hard, don't think ADOM is particularly high on that list. If you play safe and just go for a vanilla win ADOM is probably one of the easier Roguelikes once you know how stuff works.

Have to admit my experience with other roguelike games is somewhat limited though, mostly just played a bit of Nethack, some Angband (or some variant thereof) and Crawl outside of ADOM...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/13/2011 at 18:33 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Spartan Spartacus
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, March 07, 2013 at 07:26 (GMT -5)

Most players who really want challenge of roguelike and good roleplaying experience just take a bioware game using hardest setting and use roguelike rules. One relativelly new more roguelike if use the die-new character self rule is Dragon's Dogma,And there is that awfull elona.
Has anyone ever finished Halo's hardest setting rogue? that would be a feat. Morrowind is kind of wrong type of game for this purpose as it gets too easy in high levels. Arena wich is downloadable has really hard starting dungeon and then there is the DOOM. Only, in real roguestyle games there is this atmosfear=)that other games lack. Or so i think.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: