Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / your most terrible blunder

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 5 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5
maestro_mozart
Registered user

Last page view:

7251 days, 18 hours, 57 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 02:17 (GMT -5)

i'd like to see some of you guys' worst blunders. not neccesarily death causing stuff, just those moments when you stare at the screen for a few moments wondering what the hell you were thinking. lol

here's a few of mine.

i was in need of exp and decided to kill the demented ratling to see what he was worth. (not much about 50K if i remember right) i was L+ so i tossed my rune covered trident past him and guess what, lol he caught it, ate it, then said "you izz a fool"...lol real sucky.

or how about forgeting your thick gauntlets when you pick up or drop all your stuff and wind up with 300+ potions of poison, lol.

The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5585 days, 16 hours, 45 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 02:44 (GMT -5)

My most terrible blunder is the sad end of my Wannabe-Archmage. No question about that.

Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
the mighty NHGH
Registered user
pRAise "BOB"!

Last page view:

7142 days, 18 hours, 23 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 02:50 (GMT -5)

right now my grey elf archer lvl 20 needs to get past the banshee. but earlier i ate the only beeswax i had generated to save me from starvation. now im just wandering around waiting for a potion of deafness.

For the Good "Bob" selleth all, even the least and the last; and all buyers are joyous unto his selling.

And those who knoweth not the Good "Bob" from the Evil "Bob" shall verily sell away their souls, and shall be lost.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6821 days, 6 hours, 46 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

Becomming lazy @ dlvl 50, pressing and holding 4 then die because you didn't watch your hp. (been there done that)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5113 days, 15 hours, 42 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 07:28 (GMT -5)

In the Tomb of the high king, I dropped all my stuff and made an ice bridge. I lured out the skeleton king and slayed him with ease (this was a very potential winner, even had a djinni ring). After slaying king, I triumphantly pick up all my stuff again, and THEN went to collect the ring.

That had me whapping my head a few times.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3089 days, 5 hours, 17 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

Freezing my way to the RotHK, wrenching the final charge from my only wand of cold, and using a wand of fireballs to kill the Skeleton King, melting away the ice bridge.
It wasn't lethal. The char still lived... on that island. :P

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 08:09 (GMT -5)

I once drank from a pool with 11 socr in my backpack without waterproof blanket... 8 were destroyed..

Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 09:09 (GMT -5)

today I took a shower, and waited there for like 20 minutes for it to warm up, then I realised the temperature knob was on cold.

oh, you mean in adom:

walking on an ice bridge to the skeletal king with an inventory weighing 1998 stones . . . including a si :(

getting poison hands corruption in ID and thinking 'no problem, I'll just drink this PoCC!' damnit.

What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
3TP
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 09:22 (GMT -5)

I teleported to meet dwarven mystic without means to get out.
KillerClawLobster
Registered user
Ancient Chaos Lobster

Last page view:

6432 days, 7 hours, 50 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 11:33 (GMT -5)

Ran into Yrruir the Greater White Unicorn while on 'Berserk' tactics with my crowned lawful barbarian. Dropped me to N- and really upset my god...

The All-Powerful Ancient Chaos Lobster is here. Boil some water and melt some butter!
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1197 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 12:04 (GMT -5)

I was playing a Gray elven beastfighter, who just slaughtered the water temple. While going through the loot i forgot to notice i was poisoned, and died from about 100 hp. I even had Neutralize poison spell from a potion of wonder

Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:33 (GMT -5)

Believed I had an invincible level 50 gnomish wizard. Charged around on beserk with needle and sting. Bumped into a mimic hivemind. Held down the spacebar for 5 minutes as my hit points dropped down in decrements of 5 or so.

Wannabe-Archmage died after forgetting to cast SoA while scumming ogre/giant corpses in a greater vault for strength while using a ring of weakness (crushed to death).

Racing through the traps to get to Nuurag. Thought my stuff was safe from water and fireball traps because I had waterproof and fireproof blankets. They were. But not from ceiling cave-in traps. Lost about a dozen blessed SoCR and dozens of stat boost potions. Still managed to finish an ultra ending though - but only *just*.
BlackDragonIncarnate
Registered user
NotAllThere

Last page view:

7251 days, 7 hours and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 13:39 (GMT -5)

A vault was generated between lvl 3 of the CoC and dwarftown (one of the ones with a buncha different monsters). I was a crowned(my first crowning EVER too:( ) high elven beastfigher lvl 14, already finished the pryramid. In this vault there was a blink dog, which obvously called more blink dogs, While I was fighting, I was cut off from the stairs by a bunch of blink dogs that werent there before, thats when I realized how much of a $%&*hole I had gotten myself into. Needless to say, she isnt crowned anymore, and all other gods curse her stuff, kinda gave up after that.

People stabbed in the face don't talk much
     Mostly they just gurgle
          And bleed
    -Black Mage
Portrait
KoRn DogG
Registered user
I wanna kill Andy sooo bad...

Last page view:

6361 days, 18 hours, 5 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 15:29 (GMT -5)

Were the blink dogs hostile? If I understand you correctly (Which I probably don't...) you attacked them and lost your crowned status from droppping your alignment? If so, I want to say that I think you can press :s and the direction you want to go to switch places with a non-hostile monster.

"I concur that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you come to realize why you dismiss all the other possible gods out there, you will know why I dismiss yours.
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 16:58 (GMT -5)

Monsters generated in a vault or tension room are always hostile. And once I tried to switch places with a completely non-hostile blink dog and it became hostile.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

dogs don't like to get pushed in real nife neither! :<

raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 02:34 (GMT -5)

tension room of duelists....
"the rattling duelist disarms you your dwarven axe 'rolf's companion blah blah' flies to the west. the rattling duelist equips the axe
the rattling duelist critically hits you you die.

had plenty of wands sad
Cepheid
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 03:03 (GMT -5)

worst mistake?

probably praying for help at N= while very close and getting crowned.
Jomppa
Registered user

Last page view:

7220 days, 5 hours, 11 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 16:40 (GMT -5)

My worst blunder ever was not watching HP on D50 thus exhausting a wizard to death with acid balls. (That was in 0.9.9g16p2 when casting spells from HP still trained mana). The worst thing was the fact that that wizzy had already killed balors and stuff and was finishing some summoned monsters for fun... :-(

Second worst blunder comes quite close to this, pressing wrong key and killing a wizard to uber bouncing magic missile. That was on D50 too, while clearing the lower lever room :-(
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 at 18:00 (GMT -5)

I had an incredibly lucky start: got blanket & stairs, saved the puppy and killed kranach, found a bookshop in the PC and to top it all off barnabas was selling an AoLS. got precrowned with medium shield protector and nearly wet myself with delight, decided to push my luck further and get another precrowning - pressed the wrong button once and got sacrificed by a goblin rockthrower.

Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5656 days, 12 hours, 47 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 at 05:36 (GMT -5)

Had an excellent crowned neutral wizard. Found RoDS in UD, Ring of Immunity as crowning gift, and he found a lot of other great stuff too. Now, deep in the CoC a non-hostile white worm appeared. The character avoided it, just to find out a while later while trekking back to dwarftown that the worm had spawned into three worms, all of which were non-hostile. Fearing a level full of non-hostile worms the character decided to kill off the three worms. Backstabbing the first and second took him from N= to N-, so he thought "no worries, I can still get the third one without becoming a fallen champion" and attacked the third.

Went from N- to CN, got a very angry message from his god, and was blasted to death.

You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7012 days, 13 hours, 53 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 at 03:43 (GMT -5)

getting the poison hands from the black unicorn and then picking up the potions of gain attributes, and seconds later realizing that was not such a good idea..
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Lorze
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 at 09:11 (GMT -5)

I've had a few ultra-endings, but I've never become an ordinary chaos god.

So once I entered the gate with my extremely corrupted L50 crowned chaos champion wearing the chaos trinity... except the medal of chaos. Instead I was wearing an amulet of chaos (non-artifact). Of course I thought I was wearing the artifact one. All i could do was laugh.
Aphael
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 at 10:44 (GMT -5)

My latest chat was crowned with a gift, Shezestriakis, which wasn't really funny.
Orc Man(lurkin)
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 at 16:31 (GMT -5)

Attempting to raise my level 50 weaponsmiths strength the way I did my wizard, by eating giant corpses and wearing a ring of weakness, only to be crushed by my stuff cause I forgot to cast strength of atlas.

And another weaponsmith today that again got crushed after picking up 22 million gold without a girdle of greeed on...
wakka*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

problem with archers taking on dopplegangers...
without a decend melee weapon I tried using coins as ammunition, thinking that others than merchants could use'em. Ammunition slot only took one, didn't even ask if I wanted to use it as ammo and why I shouldn't have wanted to use it, comes as follows: I couldn't throw it or remove it from the slot. and an archer without a ranged weapon... well, that was a short story. only hope was to find a scroll of item destruction, but no such luck. and since coins don't have cursed/uncursed/blessed status, I doubt that bleesing it would've helped.
stupid me, but at least now I know that. anyone else made a similar mistake?
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 at 14:29 (GMT -5)

i equipped a coin and it didn't like to get removed.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 05:19 (GMT -5)

Umm, why not? I just tried equipping gold pieces as a melee weapon/ as a missile and I could throw and unequip them.
eL
Registered user
Long lost brother

Last page view:

7156 days, 17 hours, 1 minute and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 06:08 (GMT -5)

Having a wish (along with corruptions and curse) from a pool, wishing for a AoLS, then accidentally chatting to Khelly.

Pressing ctrl+q instead of ctrl+s.
It's very hard to be humble, when you are great.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 13 hours, 51 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 at 08:34 (GMT -5)

wielding a wpn with beastfighter for a long time also sucks.
Go to page 1 2 3 4 5

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: