Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / it figures...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Amanda Sedai
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 18:29 (GMT -5)

I read a scroll called "IBM manual" and it caused my character to become permanently confused.

BTW, has anyone else realized that you can avoid losing your game by making a copy of your save file in another folder and then pasting it back in the save folder after you lose? Is that considered cheating?
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7896 days, 22 hours, 50 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 18:52 (GMT -5)

Yeah, kinda mean joke really from TB. Pray to the gods... :)

Yes it is considered cheating. It even have a name: Save-scumming. It is very bad game-practice. Only useful for those not patient enough and for research.

Locke Cole
Hankjim
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 19:22 (GMT -5)

As in real life, only prayer can save you from the utter confusion wrought by the IBM manual.

Yes save/restore is well-known as the grand-daddy of all cheats. As I understand it, ADOM is a rogue-like game, which means it has been specifically designed for you to finish the entire game without dying once in order to legitimately win.

Nevertheless, for the new ADOM player, the save/restore mechanism can provide substantial pedagogical benefit, since you can experiment with things you would never do in a "real" game, and can get to the more advanced stages of the game without repeatedly having to start over.

This practice is not without its drawbacks, however, since it inevitably corrupts the ADOM decision-making process by tempting the player to circumvent the consequences of irresponsible actions in a "real" game. Also, the surprises and emotions that occur in a "real" game are much more vivid and true-to-life than those in a restored game.

By the way, I'm not sure what happened to our posts a couple of days ago. Maybe the administrator can explain why they were nuked?

Hankjim
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 10 hours, 46 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 20:21 (GMT -5)

It's in the anouncements. Basicaly some guy cracked my acount and deleted all the files... I didn't have a recent backup of the forum database so a lot of posts where lost.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: