Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Precrowning/Crowing

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

6580 days, 23 hours, 49 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 02, 2004 at 21:14 (GMT -5)

I have several characters built up: (1) is a fervent follower (neutral) & another religious. What exactly do I have to do to get precrowned???
Is the key to Offer enough until you see a "very close" message (which I don't remember seeing), or what? And where should you pray to get precrowned (at an alter, or anywhere).

I hope I haven't blown my neutral character's precrowning by missing the message..... cause when I offer stuff now I only get the "very pleased" or "greatly appreciates" message.

Thanks
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 at 00:58 (GMT -5)

You need to sac stuff untill you get to extremely close status for precrowning. The place where you pray doesn't matter.

For crowning, you need to be absolutely close and have the extreme alignment.
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 at 01:16 (GMT -5)

Warlord said it, but let me make it clearer ;)

Many new players COMPLETELY underestimate the worth of stuff you have to sacrifice for crowning. Some time after 'very close' on your first precrowning, you should get an 'extremely close', 'absolutely close' or similar message. The message means the same thing, its just different flavors for different alignments.

At that point, if you pray, then something will happen. Crowning if you are C-, L+ or N=, and precrowning if any other alignment.

The greatly appreciates message only means you've just sacrificed something that your racial deities quite like, such as food for hurthlings. It has no effect on crowning save for the amount added to your piety.

The only way to 'blow' precrowning is to be crowned. And even then you can be postcrowned. Just be aware that after you've seen the 'extremely close' message once, you -might not ever see it again-. Just sacrifice heaps past 'very close' and pray experimentally.

Also be aware that when you are attempting to be pre-, post-, or normal crowned, your deity will not consider you if you're sick, hungry, or wounded. They'll try to heal those things first, resulting in los of piety.

TehTimpen
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 at 05:33 (GMT -5)

Neutral sucks to precrown because you go towards N= when you offer things.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 at 07:09 (GMT -5)

the absolutely close message indicates you will be crowned if you pray. watch out for it if you want a precrowning.

on postcrowning - is there some kind of restriction I don't know about? The only time I tried was with a char who: got precrowned at level 8, got crowned at level 11, then tried to get precrowned at level 14 and couldn't for some reason, even though he must have sacrificed about 1000 blessed stomafillia. there were definately no other artifacts generated. what's up with that?
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 17 hours, 31 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 03, 2004 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

are you sure about the artifacts, not even the Si
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 13 hours, 55 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 at 09:23 (GMT -5)

yeah, I got killed soon later and only the two were generated.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 at 12:11 (GMT -5)

that's weird
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Danielle unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

Ive gotten to the point wher ei shoudl be precrowned about 10 times now and i get ignored, prays unanswered, no idea why.
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1198 days, 7 hours, 22 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 04, 2004 at 13:46 (GMT -5)

You are probably doomed. Gods will not answer your prayers while doomed.
arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 at 07:40 (GMT -5)

So far I have not got the extremely close, etc. messages for my Paladin. But did get a reponse "Thou shalt be hunted by fewer enemies."
Not certain what this does, but I did notice that the white unicorn was generated on the level of the Air Temple, and it helped my character clear the temple. Since I was only level 19, chatting with it only gave a message of something to the effect of "You look into its eyes filled with sorrow and pain." Hum, wonder if I can get it to follow me around until I reach level 30?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

Armada, Shouldn't the gods remove dooming/cursing when you sacrifice when you are close enough to be pre- osr post crovned or just a regular crowning.
(Actually before that)

arkflash, that was just a regular white unicorn, not the greater white unicorn, they appear as normal monsters. Were you lawful?
arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 at 11:54 (GMT -5)

Yes, my dwarf paladin is lawful.Another funny message came from my neutral elementalist sacrificing uncursed cooked lizards: "You dare to offer crap sold by rattlings" or comparable language all in caps.... I did not know that the Gods were such picky eaters :->
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 at 12:39 (GMT -5)

Yes, but he may be wearing/wielding a dooming item. Or he could have sacced a lot earlier, got doomed and tried to pray
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 at 13:00 (GMT -5)

they don't like food sold by ratling traders, even if you haven't bought it from them
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

I don't think you can actually get the food they sell anywhere else...Except maybe a wish, and thats one huge waste
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 02:54 (GMT -5)

Alex, the amount of sacrificing needed doubles with every instance of crowning. The third one can be VERY costly, and piety drops VERY fast when it is near the state where you can be postcrowned. Did you sacrifice them all at once, or go back and forth?
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 05:14 (GMT -5)

Armada, you can atleast get fried bats and cooked lizards by using a cooking set or a fire bolt
Danielle unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 10:27 (GMT -5)

cooked giant lizards and giant bats I believe..
raven
Registered user

Last page view:

7110 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 02:33 (GMT -5)

has everyone forgot that the FIRST post-crowning only costs 40,000gp? its the pre crown that is 100,000, <or 80something> that gets boring trying... after a GB check the 2nd post is 180000
and impossible after that<in realistic game time>
and after being PRE crowned <and getting some random crap usually> the ABSOLUTLY close message is EASY, a few orcs...you can be PRE crowned at lvl 8, <usually in the PC if your lucky to have an alter or SMC if brave enough to hang out> and barring a "surge of power" post crowned at 14 also after a bit of patience, I'm a bit surprised that most people dont have 3 artifacts by lvl 14...then go on to play...
the short version...1...get an alter EARLY witha high monster gen rate...get to lvl 8 dont be of extreem allignment.
PRE-crown.... 2. hang out for a while near that high gen alter <wont take TOO long> get crowned.
3. hang out, go do a fast quest, get to lvl 14, hang by the alter for a bit longer...do your shit, get POST crowned...
keeping in mind, this is DEPENDENT on the RNG and alters, but if you find alters in the SMC, PC, and either of the first quest caves, its not too hard just time consuming....
however this is deflected by the fact that you now have 3!!! artifacts...by lvl 14...good advice for ultra, or FAST games...hope i helped

[Edited 6 times, last edit on 7/8/2004 at 03:06 (GMT -5) by raven]
raven
Registered user

Last page view:

7110 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 02:33 (GMT -5)

oh yeah and LIVE sacs are WORTH A LOT
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3728 days, 3 hours, 59 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 11:52 (GMT -5)

Or you could always expliot "jealousy" piety... :)
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Danielle unlogged
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 21:34 (GMT -5)

whats it mean when it says that a god feels a stain on the relationship?
arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 22:00 (GMT -5)

Raven, I do not understand your post (but i'm a little slow anyway).
If pre-crowning costs 80,000 to 100,000 how does a lvl 8 character get that much funds? My level 12 mage has only around 18000 & I plan to totally ransack Darkforge to get more. (Actually that worked - took everything but the crown from Darkforge, got 70,000 plus and it took around 65000 or so to become the messiah -though the blessed amulet of balance & Sun's Messenger were the gifts)..
So what comes next....Crowning? Or was this the crowning since the message before it was absolutely close?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/8/2004 at 22:59 (GMT -5) by arkflash]

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 22:10 (GMT -5)

Sometimes people do not get crowned due to lvl (precrowning) artifact lvl (equation) maybe you can't get pre-crowned but you can still get crowned.
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 16:45 (GMT -5)

its not funding <use live sacs>, pre-crown is generally dependent on finding an alter for LIVE sacs.
EG the puppy cave is an excelent place IF you find an alter, if not then the pre-crown is usually out, but once you find and altet assuming you are not to DT and no artifacts yet appear the second <post crown> is easy
an alter for a chaotic Char in the SMC makes this VERY easy, but it doest happen to often
raven1`
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

you also have to keep in mind the formula for pre <post> crowning... char lvl>+8*number of artifacts generated.....you can be crowned at ANY level but the rest depend on the # of artifacts generated
Warlord*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 17:48 (GMT -5)

The formula is lvl > 8 + 3 x artifacts
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 18:31 (GMT -5)

Actually greater than or equal to lvl 8 + 3 x artifacts. But of course you can't write that symbol on the computer...That im aware of
*Shifty eyes*
mattam
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 at 16:32 (GMT -5)

Hmmm...
Been experimenting a bit with hurthling wizards.
What do you guys think is better:
Kill it, cook it, sac it?
or give the god the raw material ie. live sacrifices?
Whats worth more for a hurthling? The cooked corpse or a live sac?
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: