Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Crown of Science

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

6602 days, 9 hours, 9 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 22:12 (GMT -5)

What should you do with it? Sell it? Offer it? Forget it?

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 22:21 (GMT -5)

Get rid of it fast, it will stay with you.
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6955 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 at 22:24 (GMT -5)

Ratling fodder for Ultra Endings...

Tell me how to get stronger....
Deaneus
Registered user
Accountant of War

Last page view:

6888 days, 15 hours, 27 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

Here's a thought - as the number of skill increases when increasing a level seems to be linked to your learning score, wearing it right before you increase levels, and then removing afterwards with a spell or whatever, might be good. of course, you'd be doomed too, but... any ideas, anyone?

other than that, feed it to the rat.
What do you wish for? _Drew Barrymore figurine
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6955 days, 14 hours, 38 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

I guess if you had access to an alter to pray away doomed status, and you had a means of removing the crown, that may work. Seems like a lotta work for a little return but meh, each to his own...
Tell me how to get stronger....
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3892 days, 2 hours, 52 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

the crown doesn't doom you permanently (the dooming will go away when you remove the crown)
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

Remember Crown of Science also provides fire IMMUNITY - useful if you have no other fire resistance when entering the ToEF. Sure, the dooming and cursing will make ToEF even harder than usual, but if you have readily accessible invisibility you could avoid most of the monsters and just take out the ACW (e.g., with dragon slaying ammo, frost bolt, etc.)

Dooming and cursing can also be exploited. Possibilities include greater likelihood of finding a giant boar (if going for an ultra ending) and more difficult monsters (which equates to more experience and better treasure). I think I read somewhere that dooming/cursing also increases the likelihood of greater vaults being generated. So in the hands of an experienced player, the Crown of Science is a very valuable artifact.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 05:12 (GMT -5)

greater vaults are generated when you start a game, so later dooming/cursing won't effect that
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1219 days, 16 hours, 43 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 12:13 (GMT -5)

SOME greater vaults are generated when you start the game. Some are random. As has been proven by the simple to prove theory of backing up a save before the CoC
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 13:54 (GMT -5)

ok, I've never found a greater vault but I don't know if I'm "too lucky" anyway, Imagine a greater vault of giants and a ring of weakness
Túrin
Registered user
Wildman of the Woods

Last page view:

6914 days, 19 hours, 32 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 14:33 (GMT -5)

Great for wilderness encounters, I was just using that approach with it for the first time, I got about 10 times as many black dragons, giant boars, and swamp hydras than usual.
Túrin Turambar Dagnir Glaurunga
raven
Registered user

Last page view:

7132 days, 3 hours, 19 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 16:54 (GMT -5)

only worth the wilderness encounters to bump up to grand mastery, other than that, rat food

by then you should have all sorts of crap to do tha rest
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6950 days, 8 hours, 35 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 18:47 (GMT -5)

Morio: I once got two greater vaults of giants around D40 or so - ended up with about 95 strength. If you find even one greater vault of giants, it's worth wishing for a ring of weakness if you don't have one.

Being doomed isn't a good idea if you're not paying a lot of attention. I recently lost a good character to a stone giant lord while doomed in the wilderness. It threw a rock at me, hitting for over 100hp.
Moomster
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 11:12 (GMT -5)

IIRC it gives +8 to pv? Last game I used it almost all the time with ankh as a crowned =
Didnt notice much difference and the learning boost was handy when wishing for Emperor Molly :)
Unnamed
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

It is also good for spellcasters learning spells. Remember that +9 Le. I always use it after I've got all books from the library. It gives a nice boost to your spell memory. But it still curses and dooms, so I'd remove it instantly after that.
Naiyor ( not logged)
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 11:55 (GMT -5)

so if the dooming is removed when you remove the crown...does it work the sameway with the javelin of doom?
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6843 days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 13:16 (GMT -5)

I guess all this talking about taking strength to 95 is players that play non 1.1.1 adom. Since I have a hard time getting advances in it if I have above 20 strength.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 5 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 14:17 (GMT -5)

Notice the "wish for a ring of weakness" part of mopgoblin's post - it lowers your St: to 2 when worn, which means, that you won't be advancing past 20 - you'll maintain current strenght value of 2 (which is what the game checks when increasing with corpses), but your "real" strength, which will be restored when you take of the cursed ring, will raise to 1.0 proportions.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6843 days, 1 hour, 33 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 15:04 (GMT -5)

Ah, I always thought it halved the strength or something. Ive never had one :P
Cepheid
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

Yes... all items that give you doom become ineffective when you remove them. The crown is a pretty good artifact i've always thought... nice dv/pv... just watch out for dark rooms though.. that's the biggest problem i've had with it.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: