Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / not getting killed

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

6994 days, 12 hours, 11 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

in the CoC, somwhere between level 20-25, things start to get really hard. i never made it past that point - always some totally deadly monster appears, such against i have totally no chance and i get slaughtered. my characters are always pretty strong i think, having done also places like the pyramid and dwarven graveyard.
am i missing something?
i play ADOM quite a long time and i start getting frustrated at no progress at all.

Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 11:24 (GMT -5)

what type of class?
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 11:59 (GMT -5)

any
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1223 days, 3 hours, 32 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 12:14 (GMT -5)

You may just be diving too fast. What level are you around that time? You should try to gain some experience elsewhere, clear out another dungeon if you haven't got them all
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

i'm in late-teens at that time, like 17.
usually i have the other places cleared. except TotHK or that long tunnel place

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/10/2004 at 13:32 (GMT -5) by Garand]

Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 12:57 (GMT -5)

hang out in the wilderness and ID.
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 13:14 (GMT -5)

for example right now i play an orcish monk, currently at lev 14; if i chose to descend, i'm quite sure that sooner or later i will be killed... but i can't really see another option;

well, i could try the wildnerness or ID, but this doesn't sound too exciting, 'cause it would take *a lot* of time to gain a few levels in there...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/10/2004 at 15:22 (GMT -5) by Garand]
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1223 days, 3 hours, 32 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 13:22 (GMT -5)

Your only level 14? I easily get to level 21 before even finishing all the Dwarven quests/graveyard. You move too fast
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 13:31 (GMT -5)

but this is an orc, so not really smart, Le around 12!

do you advance so quickly even with fighter types...? HOW???
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3895 days, 13 hours, 41 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

If you want to level up fast, then you should try playing a gnome, IIRC they dont need very much xp to level up, but then again they are a bit too weak at the beginning to make very good fighters, haven't tried one though.
do all the dwarwen quests before going deeper than the level where you find Khelly.
Also remember that you don't have to kill all the monsters you see, if you meet something too hard just try it out for a few hits and if you cant kill it then run away, if you have a pair of SLB's then you should be ale to run away from most monsters that are too hard at the moment.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/11/2004 at 04:18 (GMT -5) by Morio]
firestorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 14:37 (GMT -5)

um, are you sure youre not walking about in Dwarven halls? (DH1 and 2). The monsters there are *very* hard, you dont want to be spending too much time in there!

I play very carefully (only way to not die imo), like for eg not walking into that innocent looking goblin, who's in fact turin the great or some other named freak, if you get the picture :).....or walking into a doppleganger, and turns out its a "king"....good luck
raven
Registered user

Last page view:

7135 days, 14 hours, 8 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 at 17:00 (GMT -5)

play a hurthling wizard...lvl upFAST and pick them to deth
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 9 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

You'll want ands of door creation, controlled teleport and either teleportation or wands of trap creation (in either case, have at least five casts/charges).

Use your imagination with those, and you can pass the Animated Forest with ease.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 10:59 (GMT -5)

hehe, thanks, but right now i have the living mana battery corruption :(
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 9 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 at 21:01 (GMT -5)

Lovely. (Not.) You'll want to get rid of that ASAP... you do know where to get corruption removal, right?
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

a) wrong
b) too late, i guess. that was my first corruption, and now i have several more,... obtained by becoming a Champion of Chaos :D
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

you'll get corrupted a lot faster when crowned as a champion of chaos
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 at 16:12 (GMT -5)

it's all past now.
i just got slayed by the Wyrm in the ToEF ;(((
i'm happy though, it's my first character who made it that far

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/12/2004 at 16:13 (GMT -5) by Garand]
Larrack
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at 03:22 (GMT -5)

Key rule is, character level = dungeon level in coc you can attempt without being dinner.

Some levels are harder than others, like the big room. And if you're below level ten yourself, remember that your weapon skills etc are going to make you play like an even lower level character.
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

'Key rule is, character level = dungeon level in coc you can attempt without being dinner.'

that's theoretic though. 'cause when you play a trollish barbarian, it would take years to gain those levels, before you could try to attack the CoC

isn't there an issue, that too fast advancement is bad also?
because the monsters get approprietly tougher as the PC reaches levels... and sometimes they might just get too tough too early. when the PC doesn't have a lot of weapon skills and good items yet.
example:
once, in UD#1 i met a wererat. he summoned a bunch of rats, which i slaughterd. this made my pladin advance to level 7 or so, almost instanlty. but a few moments i was attacked by an ogre magus and got killed;/
something tells me, that he wouldn't be generated, if i had a lower-level PC.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5820 days, 19 hours, 27 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 at 04:42 (GMT -5)

the monsters don't get tougher depending from the char level... they get tougher as the pc kills them -> more kills, more exp the monster has. monsters also are tougher the deeper the pc goes.

you can prove this by creating a l50 guy with a bot or summin' right at the beginning and then going to vd or something, you can then 'l'ook at the monster and see that he isn't experienced.

could be wrong though.
Portrait
Garand
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

get tougher as the pc kills them, yes - but you can't really meet certian stronger monsters before you reach an appropriate level, can you?
Portrait
Derek B Rackham Esq.
Registered user
Swordsman of Forcena

Last page view:

6959 days, 1 hour, 28 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 at 19:12 (GMT -5)

I think that monsters strength is determined by a)how many of that monster you have killed (killing a large number of any given monster makes any additional monsters of that type stronger), and b)the danger level of the area you are currently in. It should be safe to assume that even having killed no rats, for example, if you managed to somehow find a rat on D:50, it would be stronger than a rat on D:1.
Tell me how to get stronger....
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6846 days, 12 hours, 22 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 15, 2004 at 20:04 (GMT -5)

The danger level decides which monsters are generated.
Char lvl + amount of kills determines the strength of it.

What I think. Charlevel could decide what monster comes too since you don't meet rats, goblins and orc forever in smc.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6505 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 at 02:32 (GMT -5)

Actually I think character level (or possibly time elapsed) affects what monsters are generated. If not, I'd sure like to know why my last winner was seeing molochs on D:3.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 at 02:58 (GMT -5)

I once met an Ogre Emperor and an ancient karmic dragon on the first level of the ID. (I had already closed the gate
Cepheid
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 11:26 (GMT -5)

Derek you sure it was UD1? and not the small dungeon? If you were lvl 7 in small dungeon... well lets just say you would have to be remarkably lucky to get out alive.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5661 days, 10 hours, 19 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

I too think that character level has an effect on monsters generated. High level chars, 40 or so frequently get tougher monsters in the early CoC levels than chars who first visit it at levels below 10. If you don't believe it, try it yourself, take a high level char there. Things like giants and dorn beasts are almost as common as goblins.

OK, so that was exaggerating a bit, but spending 5 minutes real time on D:1 got me a greater demon, troll king, shadow lord and some other meanies with a lvl 41 char.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/29/2004 at 12:12 (GMT -5) by J.]
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6953 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 20:26 (GMT -5)

I remember taking a level 50 character to the puppy cave (the puppy quest was about the first thing this character did, so all the levels would have been generated when I was level 1-6 or so) and encountering a mix of tough monsters, including molochs. I think there might have been a quickling king in there too, but I'm not certain.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: