Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Tactics: How to stay alive...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

6187 days, 9 hours, 20 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 at 01:41 (GMT -5)

Here are some tips I should have posted a long time ago ("Anybody got a round to-it?"):

While you are exploring, leave your Tactics on Coward... this way traps will not damage you nearly as much when you stumble on them, and that blink dog wont hurt so bad when he suddenly appears and takes a bite out of your hide. Leave your tactics on Coward when kicking in doors and using WoW's. Generally use Coward as your "default" Tactics mode.

When a creature is one space from you and hostile, do not approach it if you intend to attack it on the next turn... often it will have a chance to attack you first if you do that. Instead, hit your "5" button to wait a turn.. the creature will approach you, and you will ususally have a chance to throw the first blow.

Use Coward Tactics in combat until that exact moment when you attack - then switch your Tactics to Berserk. When you lose roughly 1/4 of your Hit Points move your Tactics to Normal. When you lose roughly 1/2 of your Hit Points move your Tactics to Coward and run like hell (or fight like hell if you are surrounded; then run like hell when you can).

Use Berserk Tactics whenever you attack with a missile weapon, as long as all hostile creatures are at least two spaces away from you (doesn't work so well for quicklings though)... Berserk adds bonuses to-hit and -damage with missile weapons as well as melee.
--<>||<>--
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5678 days, 18 hours, 24 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 at 10:21 (GMT -5)

Note to self: Don't use berserk mode when fighting great <insert appropriate colour here> wyrms. Especially not when you're only level 25. Found out the hard way today.

Bah, back to square one...
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.
NMBLNG
Registered user
Wrath of the blade of paradise

Last page view:

7182 days, 16 hours, 13 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 at 13:01 (GMT -5)

Remeber to get the tactics skill.
Portrait
KoRn DogG
Registered user
I wanna kill Andy sooo bad...

Last page view:

6383 days, 23 hours, 41 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 at 17:15 (GMT -5)

You really want to know how to stay alive in ADOM? There is only one way. This is for informational purposes only. Any damage caused by using this method is not my responsibility. This includes insanity, crazyness, going mad, losing your ind, being sent to the loonybin, and any other related matters.

Don't play ADOM!
"I concur that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you come to realize why you dismiss all the other possible gods out there, you will know why I dismiss yours.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3111 days, 10 hours, 53 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 at 17:21 (GMT -5)

You can stay alive in ADOM very easly - use a human farmer, find the village, and start living there, like all the other farmers do. Walk around, and wait for a @ to chat to you.
Or you could take a druid, enter the woods and care for the trees a lot.
You want to live, don't be an adventurer :P
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3750 days, 8 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 16, 2004 at 18:44 (GMT -5)

True, true...

There should be an automatic rule that after maybe five years of game time, the Chaos gate (and all hell) finally breaks, and everything is engulfed... the ending screen should have terrain like the Black Unicorn's glade, with everyone as purple j's.

BTW, Thoth, you made a very good point. The Tactics spell is invaluable. I'd like to add: If you're a spellcaster using spells near-exclusively, you can actually stay on Coward all the time. Though if you're also trying to get weapon marks (you should; you're guaranteed to run out of spells eventually) you should switch to at least Defensive, otherwise you won't learn from your opponents.
Die Gedanken sind Frei

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/16/2004 at 18:45 (GMT -5) by Iridia]
meestro_mozart
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

lol, wouldn't it be funny to see some chicken s**t that's grand mastery in spears who's a complete and total coward.
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

Here's a random collection of tactics I use.

Aim for the summoner, ignore the summoned.
Kill the monsters nearest to you, don't let them surround you.
If a spell caster get the monsters in a line.
If low on hitpoints and lvls.... and in a fight against the raiders or any other missle using force be on coward mode.
Beserker mode is good for training weapon skills.
For early game users it is convenient (for most) to pray twice if you get into a bad situation (always convert later)
Always have a thrown weapon\bows(etc) skill
Keep good armor on hand, always have a armor/weapon spare in case yours breaks/gets destroyed/damaged, etc.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6843 days, 12 hours, 22 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 at 22:31 (GMT -5)

Always ALWAYS expect the worst thing possible to happen. If you got that wand of blablbalabl when you are going to kill blbalablal, and you really need it to survive. Expect it to break.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/17/2004 at 22:32 (GMT -5) by TheTimpen]
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 at 01:27 (GMT -5)

RUSTPROOF RUSTPROOF RUSTPROOF!!!
the heavy crossbow of accuracy is invaluable! blessed rustproof ammo of 'foo' slaying will save your wizzards ass, and make a lot of difficult situations much easier <ToEF, blue dragon caves, asassin prince, etc...>
and a rustproof phase dagger is your best bet to train for needle and sting. <or anything 'penetrating'>
did i mention rustproofing your good non artifact stuff? you will appreciate it when you find a vault of rust monsters in DH<G>
oh yeah RUSTPROOF your stuff<G>
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 at 03:14 (GMT -5)

Never needed any rustproofing. Just be sure to take the blanket on your way to HMV, and you're set. Ofcourse, you can't loose it. But how can you? You avoid all trapped/closed doors, remember to keep your Dx high, and train alertness, so there's little chance of stepping on an acid trap.
And if you don't, the char will die :P
A realist sees a train.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 at 16:14 (GMT -5)

Can the better metals => Mithril, adamantium and eternium rust?
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5658 days, 10 hours, 19 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

No, only iron stuff.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7034 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

never hesitate to heal the character or use any other stuff just because you want to save it for later. better be alive without that blessed potion of ultra healing then dead with it.
ait?
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 at 21:10 (GMT -5)

I forgot one big tactic;

NEVER take *ANY* monster lightly, act like its your worst enemy, kill it the fastest way possible, a lvl 50 char. can fall to a lvl 1 kobold if reckless.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 at 14:35 (GMT -5)

I should have the 2 above advices tattoed on my forearms. I die always because of those 2 things -"Oh, how can that Ogre Emperor kill me? I've got 98 hps left, and just killed 2 great wyrms with 2 hits... I won't waste one of my 10 PoExtra Healing or 4 PoUltra Healing, and use it after I kill kim. Critical hit, you die, damn -38 hp..."
It's always, because I hug my healing potions instead of drinking them!
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/21/2004 at 14:35 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 at 23:42 (GMT -5)

i cant disagree more on the rustproof
unless you get "the far slayer" every game killing sysxxyraxxyxxax xaxya yah the water dragon, hard to do with a rusty phase dagger
the water temple, etc, (the RNG loves cheap traps)
weilded equip is NEVER protected by a blanket....
rustproofing great equip is important...
did i mention RUSTPROOF?
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7034 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 at 19:11 (GMT -5)

well, rustproofing can be good at times, but i don't think that rust is what kills most characters.
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Descent
Registered user

Last page view:

4869 days, 7 hours, 37 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 at 07:46 (GMT -5)

I agree. At least, it never killed and of my characters.
Naiyor
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 13:51 (GMT -5)

I agree with the two tips about taking monsters seriously and POUH's.

Many,Many,Many times I have been killed because I was stupid, and thought "What could it Hurt?"...little rat bites...get plague...crappy low lev char dies!

So please take these tips seriously!!
C<U>
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 at 16:50 (GMT -5)

Take those wimps and fat people in SF seriously too. :) Almost ended up with my char.s

Watch around the screen, almost like when you're driving, some ugly monster could suddenly appear, and be careful of typing quickly while exploring a new dungeon. Never waste food, if you encounter some jackals, bring their corpses to market, the ratlings may run out. Never drop wands or potions, you could use them. Sell everything you don't use/need.
Knud
Registered user
non-ghost librarian

Last page view:

5678 days, 18 hours, 24 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 08:17 (GMT -5)

Don't throw away junk items with low weight (e.g. slings). Keep 'em in your backpack and let the RNG destroy them instead of your seven league boots next time you wander into an acid trap.

If you encounter ratling archers, kobolds or other crappy enemies at deeper levels, turn on coward mode and let them shoot missiles at you. Then kill them and pick up their ammo. Missiles generated on deeper levels have a much higher chance of being the -foo- slaying type, or have pre/suffixes. Eternium quarrels of slaying are great.

You don't need the cooking skill/set if you have the burning hands spell, just scorch the corpse and have an instant barbecue.

Pole arms is the only useful weaponskill which trains in both one-handed (spears) and two-handed (halberds). Spears are also readily available during the early game through orcs. I usually keep all crude spears thrown at me, chances are at least one has a decent pre/suffix. Train with it for a while and when you find that eternium halberd of slaughtering later in the game, you already have lots of points in that weaponskill.

Don't underestimate the AMW!
You know you've played too much ADOM when you try to throw coins at people wearing similar clothes as yourself.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/30/2004 at 08:18 (GMT -5) by Knud]
mopgoblin
Registered user

Last page view:

6950 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 08:53 (GMT -5)

I find that saving all those useless or near-useless wands (ball lightning, far slaying, earthquakes, gold detection, item detection, light/knocking if you have the spells, and possibly most of the bolt-type ones if you're a good spellcaster) is a good idea, since you can drain them to increase maximum PP when you get the mana battery corruption. If you're a high-level wizard with a lot of wands at that point, it can be worth returning to a non-corrupting area to use the recharge ability on them and draining them a second time. You have to be careful not to drain the ones you want to keep, of course.

I recently did this with a high-level grey elven wizard with over a hundred wands (these accumulated through the game, as I always pick up wands and play pretty slowly). That added about 400 to max PP, which can really help in the mana temple.

If you tend to hoard items in a locked room (D9 is a good place), and you're going to identify and/or uncurse your entire inventory while near one of these caches, you might as well grab any unidentified/cursed stuff from in there before doing so (making sure you don't have either of the two stuff-ruining corruptions first, of course), as well as any other potentially half-decent stuff in the general area if you're identifying things (might discover that an otherwise uninteresting weapon/armour has a good prefix/suffix, and if not it can just be dropped again).
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 09:01 (GMT -5)

Never underestimate ghuls. One of them just killed me on his own. Me having 41 dv and 156 hp. Paralyze.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6502 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 16:51 (GMT -5)

wow. was that in the smc?
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3750 days, 8 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 21:14 (GMT -5)

Near-permanent paralysis can happen anytime, especially with low willpower. Think of it as the same as your chance of being doomed and killed by a grue... and always, always, use ranged weapons on monsters capable of paralysis.
Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: