Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / HasTheDevelopmentOfAdomDIED?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
satyricon
Registered user
sir Greybald 'tama' Balorg

Last page view:

5820 days, 22 hours, 35 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 at 04:23 (GMT -5)

Hi iam writing that i just realized that TB is not gonna develop adom no MORE :(

i think that his gonna *try* to develop JADE what is actuali a good thing but that is gonna take a CENTURY!! (i hope not)

in the mean time i try to help the avanor developers (where there is a source to looking) which has the ADOM-like user interface :)

Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

6662 days, 14 hours, 14 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

Dude.

Lets see, Tb has to make adom, jade, adom roleplay, and adom deluxe..hmm

Oh yeah and he got a LIFE of his own too.

You could get it faster? it WILL take ages, tb is over burdened of work, i think.

I tried avanor, for like 5min and went back to adom :D

You Realised hes not working on regular adom? as JADE must be much better, why make normal adom, should he update regular adom and then jade would take even longer?
<xxxxo~~~~oxxxx> SWORDCHUK

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/21/2004 at 13:54 (GMT -5) by @]

Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 at 03:16 (GMT -5)

I am a 29years of IT Engenier i have a wife and daughter i work fo 8 hours, i still spend TONS of time with my family AND HAVE TiME TO DO MY HOBBY DEVELOP !!!!!
satyricon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 at 03:17 (GMT -5)

Forgot to login
Portrait
the mighty NHGH
Registered user
pRAise "BOB"!

Last page view:

7163 days, 3 hours, 21 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

why dont you write a game as great as adom then. and deal with impatiant strangers.
For the Good "Bob" selleth all, even the least and the last; and all buyers are joyous unto his selling.

And those who knoweth not the Good "Bob" from the Evil "Bob" shall verily sell away their souls, and shall be lost.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3748 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 at 18:49 (GMT -5)

Maybe he's not as good at creating roguelikes as TB is, and would rather leave it up to TB? (Not that that's a put-down. It's kinda like saying, "Not as rich as Bill Gates".)

Or maybe TB is a slow worker; some of the greatest classic books in the world took years and years to write; but that doesn't make them any less good... though it does make us wish the writers were faster at it, so we could have more of their books.

At any rate, I don't think anyone is to blame. TB doesn't have a responsibility to his fans any more than I have a responsibility to mine (all three of them) when I write Animorphs fan fiction. Sure, it'd be nice if he updated more; but it's a free country and he's not being paid.

I would actually suggest to TB to change the "postcard quest" to something like "send me $5"... neither one required, but nice. It wouldn't give him full-time to work on ADOM/Jade/whatever, but it would mean he probably wouldn't have to work overtime.

Anyway, that's what I'd do.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
the mighty NHGH
Registered user
pRAise "BOB"!

Last page view:

7163 days, 3 hours, 21 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 at 20:27 (GMT -5)

would you send him 5 dollars? would you send more?

For the Good "Bob" selleth all, even the least and the last; and all buyers are joyous unto his selling.

And those who knoweth not the Good "Bob" from the Evil "Bob" shall verily sell away their souls, and shall be lost.
satyricon
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 at 03:15 (GMT -5)

Yeah i DID!!
Portrait
KoRn DogG
Registered user
I wanna kill Andy sooo bad...

Last page view:

6382 days, 3 hours, 3 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 at 17:20 (GMT -5)

lol
"I concur that we are both atheists. I just believe in one less god than you do. When you come to realize why you dismiss all the other possible gods out there, you will know why I dismiss yours.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3748 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2004 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

Uhm... yeah... I mean, If I spend $1 on a postcard and its postage, $5 isn't that much. Many shareware games go for much more.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6285 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 at 18:21 (GMT -5)

The ones at the Wal-Mart go up to $60. I'm too cheap to send a penny in a sock, if I had money I'd buy a birthday cake (for me!). Five dollars? Sure, too many people send in money, pretty soon TB will just retire. Nah...
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 at 08:17 (GMT -5)

He can hit to steal time..

J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5656 days, 13 hours, 40 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 at 05:58 (GMT -5)

Slightly related story: some guys at rec.games.roguelike.adom had a meet in the Netherlands and met TB. It's a fun read, everybody who doesn't normally read rgra go see Google newsgroups at http://groups.google.fi/groups?hl=fi&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=rec.games.roguelike.adom

They tell that TB isn't working on adom at the moment. JADE is adom's next level, and at least I'm looking forward to it, so it doesn't bother me much. I don't think there's much left to implement in adom as of now, new stuff would most likely seem like goofy extras and would likely not fit in with the game, as the game is quite complete at the moment. The next version would just be bugfixes, maybe some tweaking and balancing here and there(fixing überjackals).
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3890 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2004 at 07:22 (GMT -5)

not sure if this is the same thing that J.'s post was about but here is a picture from the meeting a group of ADoMers from ircnet had
http://koti.mbnet.fi/dronir/group.jpg
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
GiorgiBoy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

ok... but i wonder... if this game is so great why arent the japanese ppl makein rougelike games like this >_< they could probably make a game 100 times better rougelike in 1 month or so. what u think?
GiorgiBoy
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 at 16:04 (GMT -5)

just imagene 100 races and 200 jobs ^^
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 at 19:50 (GMT -5)

Well, yes prolly if they do it in big team, if noy i dont think so really

Portrait
PowerWyrm
Registered user
Great Wyrm of Order

Last page view:

4498 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 at 18:17 (GMT -5)

Well during that meeting TB said he would release a beta version of Jade at the end of this year... so it won't prolly take a century to code :)
The Great Wyrm of Order breathes light (more) - wow, you feel very smart!
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

Don't know if TB's release dates have EVER been right, so he might as well release that beta at the end of 2005.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Annonymous
Registered user
USSR-obsessed Mad Science Geek

Last page view:

5880 days, 9 hours, 23 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at 13:44 (GMT -5)

Don't pick on The Almighty Creator, he is doing his best...
You load your crossbow with ammo of Iridia slaying. You hit Iridia exactly and slay her. You a thundering voice in your head booms "THOU SHALT NOT SLAY THE GREAT MODERATOR!!!. YE SHALL PAY FOR THIS INSOLENCE!!!" Suddenly Jan Erik appears! You are hit by Jan Erik's arrow of banning! You die...
J.
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 05:57 (GMT -5)

I ain't picking on him, just being realistic. He's working on JADE all the time he can, but he's a busy man. Don't get too excited.

ynard
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 at 06:59 (GMT -5)

TB releasing a JADE beta at the end of the year?! Now there's some good news indeed. :-)
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

6185 days, 12 hours, 42 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 at 16:12 (GMT -5)

Giorgiboy: "ok... but i wonder... if this game is so great why arent the japanese ppl makein rougelike games like this >_< they could probably make a game 100 times better rougelike in 1 month or so. what u think?"

Ever play "pachinko"? The Japanese like their flashing lights, and good graphics fall under that category... they would never pick up ADOM, but I think they will have an interest in JADE.

You would not BELIEVE how many people I have tried to turn on to ADOM that wont play because of the lack of graphics... even those that regularly play RPG games!

Makes me feel a little better about living on a mountaintop for most of my life, allowing my imagination to get some excercise. :)

BTW: I am fluent in ZX-81 Basic. If that aint hardcore, I dont know what is. :P
--<>||<>--
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 at 11:16 (GMT -5)

Jade will own all commercial games in someway, thats what i think.

Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6500 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 at 14:09 (GMT -5)

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=3885dfa5.0410080446.3f70f6bb%40posting.google.com

october 8th
TB promises a new version of adom . . . sometime.

to be honest, I wish he wouldn't. Adom 1.1.1 has about everything I want at the moment, I'd rather just see JADE as soon as possible.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
@
Registered user
Q('_'Q)(>'_')>

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 at 02:11 (GMT -5)

Yep, just get JADE done first

Naiyor (not logged)
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 at 15:15 (GMT -5)

I agree, I am getting quite anxious to see JADE. I think there will be few games that will be able to compare to it (IF it is as good as ADOM...and of course, it will be!) just my thoughts though.
BcotN
Registered user
SoaD junkie

Last page view:

6500 days, 10 hours, 9 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

ADOM is allready #1 in my list of the greatest RPG's of all time.

#1: Reserved for jade
#2: ADOM
#3: Neverwinter nights

I never want to get into WoW as ADOM allready sucks all my time. so I can't handle 2 of the time suckers!

I so agree about jade. I can't wait. I mean, from what TB has shown us on his site I'm HOOKED!!!!!

You die...
tongHoAnh
Registered user
adoomed

Last page view:

6619 days, 9 hours, 31 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 at 05:42 (GMT -5)

Soz for the late reply:

ADOM is no longer being coded by TB. He is still the designer of the game, but have put the development onto a trustworthy team.

The Japanese DO make roguelikes, for mobile-phones it is.

TB no longer develops ADOM Deluxe. There are lots of things that will be in the game that he simply dont want to do (normal load/save, for instance).
My RL dumpyard:

http://www.geocities.com/ceruleannebula/index.html
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5159 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 20:00 (GMT -5)

Shit!
Are you sure?
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: