Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Earth Temple Strategy

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

6608 days, 6 hours, 45 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 10:14 (GMT -5)

I have an 19th level Ranger with an eternium scimitar (+41, 2D8+20). He can use a 2nd scimitar but I sacrifice 25DV (tower shield +13, at level 7 shields +12). Total DV with shield = 77.

A also can hit with spells (fire bolt, frost bolt). Would magic missiles help?

I can't seem to kill the earth elementals. Any suggestions on strategy????

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/1/2004 at 11:06 (GMT -5) by arkflash]
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6848 days, 23 hours, 10 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 11:13 (GMT -5)

What do you mean by can't seem to kill? You do no harm?
sexy_lexy
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 11:22 (GMT -5)

do you have courage? that would help if they're surrounding you. also, lure several of them to the stairs and take them out one by one. try potions of boost stats, dex or str. maybe you could go on coward with 2 shields and bust them with wands to soften them up. dip your weapons in poison too, don't underestimate that. slaying ammo will do you good too, i think construct slaying will hurt them, dunno. or regualr "slaying" will kill anything.
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7096 days, 14 hours, 28 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 12:12 (GMT -5)

wow ... lvl 19 at Earth Temple?

When did you do the Fire?

I usually clean the Earth Temple with phase daggers / ammo luring them up one by one.
Portrait
C
Registered user

Last page view:

6293 days, 2 hours, 17 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 12:53 (GMT -5)

At lvl 19? I'm more like lvl 39-50 when I do that one. Ball spells and being on coward mode helps, if things get desperate resort to healing items. Magic missles would only help if they're +10 or more. Lure them away from their buddies, attack near the stairs, watch out for the grues.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 28 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

I agree with Timpen. Your to-hit bonus is great but the damage is too low
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 14:06 (GMT -5)

Yeah lvl 19 is a bit to low. Try lvling some.
arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 14:53 (GMT -5)

Timpen & Morio - yes I hit them, but they just regenerate. 2D8+20 is too low, so where do I find a better sword? Scrolls of increase melee damage just turn to ash. (actual sword is 2D8+9, the bonuses are for level 10 in swords). Perhaps I should try to get some swords of sharpness...

What actually increases a weapons damage? More strength, or sword level, or what. I could actually level up against lesser opponents & use both swords for awhile......
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3755 days, 10 hours, 56 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 17:10 (GMT -5)

(If he's playing a troll, level 19 is a little low but not actually out of the question.)

Increasing a weapon's damage is done by practicing with that particular weapon and gaining skill in it. Getting a better weapon also helps.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 18:45 (GMT -5)

Well by the time I reach earth temple I'm atleast lvl 30 (I always kill cat lord). So I guess that's what you need.

Any sword of penetration would work very well against the elementals though since it slices through the PV.
arkflash
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 01, 2004 at 21:15 (GMT -5)

Timpen,
Hum, perhaps I should wish for swords of penetration & let fate decide. Swords of Sharpness are OK, but they do not hold up -- constantly being damaged, etc. I guess cause they are iron.

Well, made it to master of swords (11) and now my eternium scimitar is rated as 2D8+21 (big deal).
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 28 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

You can't wish for weapons with pre- or suffixes, but you may randomly get a weapon with pre- or suffixes by wishing for a weapon.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5613 days, 9 hours, 9 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 at 10:07 (GMT -5)

IIRC lightning ball worked wonders on them when I was clearing the earth temple in my current Archmage-attempt. Your char may not have lightning ball but I guess lightning bolt should also do. And high level magic missile as well (effective against just about anything, though easy to accidentally kill oneself as well).

Leading those elementals upstairs and killing them there should also help, seeing that one can't teleport in temples. Darkness doesn't help against earth elementals, though it does IIRC help with earth grues.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6507 days, 20 hours, 52 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 02, 2004 at 13:33 (GMT -5)

Just hitting hard is what I usually go with. be careful about getting surrounded, as they walk through walls. my usual tactic is to let them approach, kill one, take a couple steps back, kill, rinse repeat.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Deaneus
Registered user
Accountant of War

Last page view:

6894 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at 01:31 (GMT -5)

Playing with a predominately melee-type character, lure them one at a time downstairs or upstairs as the case may be and take them apart.

Playing with a spellcasting-type character, acid ball is very useful. i also recommend magic missile as the best all-round missile spell: cheap in points, bounces, good damage, affects everyone. i always find that spells such as Frost Bolt and Fire Bolt have good application in particular settings (ie Frost Bolt in ToEF, Fire Bolt in the Graveyards) but MM kicks them, especially since i seem to get spellbooks of MM easier than the others.
What do you wish for? _Drew Barrymore figurine
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at 03:15 (GMT -5)

Daenus: one bad point in MM is that it is easy to accidentally kill oneself with it since it bounces. And high level MM with high Le and Ma has a long reach and can bounce several times in cramped spaces. For instance my current Archmage-attempt has all stats but De at 99 and magic missile at eccifiency 123-something. I gotta be VERY careful when using MM to avoid killing myself with it. But being able to wipe out a tension room full of ancient karmic dragons easily with MM is nice.

Good thing about MM is that nothing resists it. No karmic dragons, no diamond golems, no nothing. Death ray is also useful when hunting ABD:s but it doesn't work on constructs and undead, while MM does.
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5823 days, 6 hours, 15 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 at 06:05 (GMT -5)

berserk them down. :P
Deaneus
Registered user
Accountant of War

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 02:05 (GMT -5)

The Real J: that is true. I find the best to use the bounce of a MM is thusly:

#######################
# /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
#@#####################

(hope that formats legibly) allowing you to shoot in a straight line, whilst only being attacked by one monster, and not being susceptible to the bolt spells of other creatures (except the first guy in the line). Bouncing is good too when you have the room to avoid - for instance, i like to trap Barney by setting up a whole bunch of Web spells, bringing him downstairs into it, and MMing him until he drops, and not standing in his line of sight.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 17:35 (GMT -5)

Wait a minute, down? Barney's on the bottom level of his dungeon...

Though you could probably bring him up just as easily.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Deaneus
Registered user
Accountant of War

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 20:38 (GMT -5)

Whoops. Upstairs. Bring him upstairs. Then, if you're in the mood, bring up his kids two or three at a time and whip 'em too (one at a time is best, stops them destroying each other's treasure)
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 21:22 (GMT -5)

My Barney strategy usually goes something like, jump down there and acid ball the hell outta everything. With fighters, put on berzerk and go loose on the numpad.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 22:18 (GMT -5)

Well, the acid ball I can see... but whaling away on berserk tactics? You actually SURVIVE that?!
Die Gedanken sind Frei
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 at 01:25 (GMT -5)

Perhaps TheTimpen meleers usually are very fast. If a char is fast enough it makes hit-and-run tactics quite workable. If a monster can't get a hit in being in berserk is not a problem.

Alternatively, perhaps TheTimpen usually does BDC after closing the gate. That's what I tend to do and at that stage just about any char (except trolls) should be at least close to level 50 and be a veritable killing machine.

Deaneus
Registered user
Accountant of War

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

Acid Ball is good, but i don't like destroying equipment i haven't picked up and sorted yet. If he's (she?) is alone, then no probs, but invariably if you're surrounded other lesser dragons are going to get wiped out first, and their equipment too.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 at 08:22 (GMT -5)

I usually clean bdc before or after mana temple depending on if I have death resistance or not. So I'm around lvl 35. I have even killed Barney with acid balls with a wizard then cleaned the rest of the floor melee. Berserk mode. (became lvl 50 on bdc 2 though due to a "tension" room of titans.)

With 100 tactics my dv is atleast around 70-80 with berserk so I don't see the problem :P

Oh yeah, if I see something interesting I usually run away a bit then acid ball more.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 at 09:22 (GMT -5)

Well, yes. Wizards can be effective in melee. I once cleaned out most of the fire temple in melee with a gnomish wizard and IIRC I was nowhere near level 35.

TheTimpen: I guess if you don't have death resistance by mana temple you clear BDC first, right ? Without DRR it's quite risky attempting to clear the MT and one could quite easily find something granting DRR in BDC.

Usually when I'm looting the BDC and there is something interesting around I use either death ray or magic missile to avoid roasting/freezing/zapping/melting it.

J.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 at 09:54 (GMT -5)

Yeah I clear bdc first if I don't have death resistance. I usually find something in there but I've attempted mana temple twice without death ray resistance and survived both times :P
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6507 days, 20 hours, 52 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

I usually always melee Barney. My first ever character to get to him killed him in three attacks.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Zest
Registered user

Last page view:

7132 days, 9 hours, 59 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 at 05:05 (GMT -5)

I'm frustrated to find my 34 level grey elven wizard with willpower score 92 (82+chaos water orb!) incapable of dealing these nasty earthy grues and elementals. Reason? No "ball" spells. My frost bolt requires 3-4 strikes for a kill. Burning hands - 5-6 scorches. I get tired of losing PP while surrounded by enemies and never stopping the blocks with two tower eternium shileds in coward tactics. I have a ring of djinie summoning. I'm not sure is there a way to wish for book of acid ball? I'm afraid to lose this spare only wish I have... =(
What do you wish for? Live long and happy thereafter_
Ashandarei
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 at 05:09 (GMT -5)

Haven't you visited library? Yes. You can wish for spellbooks of acid ball.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: