Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / VERY early wish

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 at 22:53 (GMT -5)

just looking for ideas, i know the obvious, but im curios about pros and cons,
im a lvl 4 elven ranger<usually play wiz> so im not sure...
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 at 23:36 (GMT -5)

ok wish 2 from the same pool on the way out
<creators day game> G elven rang... i took sword of sharpness, and tower et shield, got BOW in the orc vault, and of course a puppy corpse...
lvl 8 now, any ideas on better wishes this early?
<7lb but i already have speed 113 and dont REALLY need them now> RoEM? dragon armor? for a ranger im not sure how i should have done this...
Deaneus
Registered user
Accountant of War

Last page view:

6866 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 00:12 (GMT -5)

SoCR and keep them in a safe place. Amulet of Life Saving too, should you make it to Khelly.
What do you wish for? _Drew Barrymore figurine
Maastonakki
Registered user
A cute puppy

Last page view:

5795 days, 6 hours, 16 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 00:48 (GMT -5)

i wouldn't go for socr / aols in that early stage... wish for something with lots of armor points in it ^^
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 03:33 (GMT -5)

AoLS. AoLS. AoLS.

It is the ONLY item that is GUARANTEED to keep you alive if you die. Even extremely powerful characters can die from a single mistake - protect yourself from your own mistakes and wish for an AoLS. Even if you already have an AoLS wish for a second. This game is ALL about minimising mistakes.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5585 days, 9 hours, 10 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 05:20 (GMT -5)

Gozer: Incorrect. AoLS is not guaranteed to keep a char alive, I talk from experience.

"Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you."
"You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying."

AoLS won't save from that.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 29 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 07:37 (GMT -5)

does it svae you from petrification?
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 13:38 (GMT -5)

can't a cursed Aols also fail for no reason?
that was my 3rd choice btw...but the RNG has been WAY to nice, i doubt ill see Khelly...
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

The Real J: fair point - but personally I don't have much sympathy for characters who die from crushing damage.

Raven1: Even if you don't get to give the AoLS to Kelly at least it will still keep you in the game! Your assassin sounds like a very promising character - even if you don't complete an ultra you could still do a chaos god or regular ending.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

6820 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 at 18:46 (GMT -5)

Go for eternium tower shields, eternium plate mails, eternium spears :)

Those are more likely to safe your life than aols in early stage.
Cepheid
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 at 13:04 (GMT -5)

SLBs are important even if you have high speed... reduces walking time etc etc.

AoLs don't really save you from mimics :P

and prolly not petrification too...
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 at 14:48 (GMT -5)

The biggest reason for me wanting slb is reduced traveltime in the wilderness.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 at 17:43 (GMT -5)

The Real J: It seems I was correct all along - AoLS DOES resurrect you even if killed by crushing damage! Of course, you have to dump the excess baggage in the turn that you are resurrected otherwise you will be crushed again. The only exception to this is if you are crushed while travelling the wilderness - you will be resurrected but won't have a chance to dump the excess (you will need 1 turn to "enter" the wilderness square where you have been resurrected after which you will be crushed again).

Morio and Cepheid: AoLS DOES save you from petrification. Furthermore, it can save you from mimics unless your DV is REALLY bad.

TheTimpen: How can eternium anything (let alone eternium spears!) possibly be more likely to save your life than an AoLS?!?!?! If you die wearing eternium plate mail you are dead - period. If you die wearing an AoLS you will be resurrected. Eternium armour and shields WILL greatly increase your CHANCES of survival - but they won't save your life! Furthermore, their value greatly depreciates towards the end game - an AoLS, on the other hand, becomes more valuable the further you progress.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4927 days, 12 hours, 36 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 at 20:57 (GMT -5)

Aye, but we are talking about an early game wish, and if you get killed by Yrrigs due to low DV/PV trying to get BB/healing you are dead, with or without AoLS. Also, if you are killed equipped with a AoLS early you are probably going to get killed again by the same monster(s). Being resurrected doesn´t improve your current situation when stuck in a corner surrounded by pit vipers...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6479 days, 20 hours, 53 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 02:55 (GMT -5)

Gozer, if I was in DH:2 for the first time and ran into a werewolf king for example, I'd much rather have eternium plate than an AOLS.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 07:00 (GMT -5)

Tower eternium shields have saved my life many many times. Think past the instant effect, aol ressurecting you. But the tower shield blocking tenfolds maybe even houndreds of hits that could have killed you.
When you run around on lvl 4 with 30 hp. Even despite you get ressurected, that "insert strong monster here" will hunt you down perticulary easy after you are ressurected. While the eternium plate mail might reduce his 15 dmg per hit to 2 dmg per hit. Which is much much more useful.

You often die lategame out of stupidity. After lvl 30 you can almost take out anything if you approach it carefully. Sure, there are some exceptions but at that stage of the game socr/saving wish for speed @ ultra ending is much more useful.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 08:27 (GMT -5)

Ok, clearly I am alone here but I TOTALLY disagree with Sargoth, Alex, and TheTimpen (which is fine - we are all entitled to our own opinions and strategic preferences).

Personally, I always play a cautious game. The most important lesson that I have learnt from playing ADOM hundreds, if not thousands, of times is that to beat this game you HAVE to minimise mistakes. It doesn't matter what character you play or what ending you are going for, you WILL NOT win unless you play a near-flawless game (luck tends to even out via the RNG).

Because I play a cautious game, I avoid many of the situations where eternium armour/shields might prove more valuable over several rounds than an AoLS. So, Sargoth, I would take pains NOT to be cornered by pit vipers. And, Alex, I hardly EVER enter the DH (especially not with anything other than a very high level chaarcter!) BECAUSE it is so dangerous.

I agree that if you die early on with an AoLS the chances are good that you will probably get killed again soon by whatever killed you the first time. But, frankly, if you don't play cautiously enough to avoid needless deaths like these then you are going to struggle to be successful in the first place. Very high level characters can die just as quickly as low level characters (e.g., death ray, starving, crushed to death, mimic hiveminds, etc., etc.) through stupidity or a failure to play cautiously enough.

The AoLS is the ONLY item that protects the player from himself/herself. Eternium armour/shields simply stave off the inevitable - death from stupidity or not being cautious enough. While they may do this successfully in the early game, they will prove less effective later on.

An AoLS actually encourages more caution and intelligence because you know that you only have one backup if you screw up. But eternium armour and shields can actually have the opposite efefct by making a player believe that his low level character is virtually invulnerable - only to find out s/he isn't when s/he bumps into their first real challenge later on (by which time it will probably be too late).

Furthermore, if you survive the early game you are practically guaranteed to get eternium protection sooner or later. An AoLS, on the other hand, is EXTREMELY rare - regardless of what level you are at.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 29 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 08:42 (GMT -5)

But then again an AoLS will only save you once as someone already said, and about the deathray,, if you die to a deathray, then what prevents the monster to kill you again after you are resurrected. Against most monsters I would choose a tower eternium shield or an eternium plate mail oven an AoLS
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

I don't need an aols to be encouraged to use caution. Socr protect from the thing that threatens a high lvl character most, corruption. But we were talking about low lvls here. Yes, eternium are almost guaranteed later, but it helps _alot_ in the beginning.

If you say: "An AoLS actually encourages more caution and intelligence because you know that you only have one backup if you screw up."
I'll say: "No aols actually encourages more caution and intelligence because you know that you have no backup if you screw up."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/28/2004 at 09:23 (GMT -5) by TheTimpen]
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4927 days, 12 hours, 36 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

When facing death rays, i would say that a AoDRR is preferable to AoLS due to the high amount of hitpoints creatures capable of casting that spell generally have. Unless you can kill it with one hit/spell, you WILL get hit by it the next time it makes a throw, killing you again. Which kind of defeats the point, eh? (A bit OT, i know.)

And Gozer, no caution in the world lets you avoid falling into a viper pit in a corridor on level one of the village dungeon...
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 13:58 (GMT -5)

You could always search for like 100 turns before making each step forward ^.^
Cepheid
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 at 18:27 (GMT -5)

Gozer, if you are playing a nearly flawless game you wouldn't need an AoLs would you?

I have never played a melee character... so I am always able to take hard monsters out by range...
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 at 03:29 (GMT -5)

Cepheid: The key word in "nearly flawless" is "nearly"
TheTimpen
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

Aol is useful if you can waste a wish lategame. But most of the times you can't. Just scum bdc some time and you'll find one if you really need it to survive.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/30/2004 at 07:51 (GMT -5) by TheTimpen]
Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

6979 days, 13 hours, 13 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 06, 2004 at 19:42 (GMT -5)

What i prefer in wishes is skills: i check for: 1. find weakness
2. dodge
3. food preservation
4. stealth
5. herbalism
then i will wish for rings of weakness...rings of elemental mastery...then rings of luck, after that i usually go for the SoCR...but this is just me
"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5737 days, 7 hours, 49 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 at 04:06 (GMT -5)

Achilles, what about Concentration? That's my favourite skill to wish for, because with it maxed out, even a barbarian can learn some spells.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6479 days, 20 hours, 53 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 at 04:52 (GMT -5)

.. surely Achilles I didn't read you right when you said you'd WISH for stealth?
got something against Yergius?
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Amazarak
Registered user

Last page view:

6875 days, 8 hours, 9 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

'bout wishing for skills : IMHO food preservation should be wished for first (if you don't have it already), because having it equals (usually) 6 PoCC, not to mention increase in number of corpses found (quite nice in QT & BT)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/7/2004 at 09:01 (GMT -5) by Amazarak]
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1197 days, 14 hours, 20 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Detect item status is nice if altars are rare, find weakness is a real boon. Herbalism if for some reason you don't have it.. Alertness and healing are skills you sadly can't wish for.. Not sure of what else people enjoy as skills
Achilles
Registered user
Mymirdon King

Last page view:

6979 days, 13 hours, 13 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 at 20:27 (GMT -5)

mmm...didnt know about Yergius...i just get pickpocketing from him...its been a while since ive read the guide...lol...i better brush up.

"Not Zeus himself nor any other Power Shall save this madman who defies the Gods!"---Phoebus Apollo
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: