Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Miscellaneous Questions

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Hankjim
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2001 at 17:50 (GMT -5)

1. Barnabas is charging an outrageous 1258 gold for an amulet of light, but I really need it to complete the Keethrax quest and the gremlin cave. I remember the last time I tried to steal stuff and escape, other shopkeepers remembered my debt and would make me pay it. Under what circumstances will other shopkeepers remember your debts? Do I have to kill him for there to be no debt?

2. My current char has gotten precrowned twice (each time as L), and it took a lot longer the second time. I'd like to get crowned eventually at L, and I was wondering how much gold I'd have to sacrifice to get extremely close a 3rd time (assuming I was just barely "very close").

3. In previous versions it was possible to get crowned and precrowned at "very close". Has that been fixed in 1.0.0? Or under what circumstances will it say "very close" instead of "extremely close"?

4. As mentioned earlier, I've gotten precrowned twice at L, with the second one taking a lot longer. If I now become N and try to get a precrowning gift, will it take as long as my first precrowning gift at L? Or will it take even longer than my second precrowning gift at L?

5. I've heard people say that it becomes harder to change alignment as your character level increases. Is this true only for lawful alignment shifts or for chaotic ones as well? The reason I'm asking is because it still seems pretty easy to become chaotic even if you're at a high level.

Thanks,
Hankjim
leapfrog314
Registered user

Last page view:

8119 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2002 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

5. It is hard to become lawful at (any level, but especially at) high levels. Being chaotic is VERY easy. Kill a lawful non-hostile monster and suffer a HUGE alignment drop.

Top way to get lawful:

Spoiler
Giving a beggar food/money/stomafillia herbs (Those stomafillias really help your alignment, especially when blessed) and if given enough, he will become your companion.

OK? I have no clue about the other questions.

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 1/13/2002 at 18:08 (GMT -5) by leapfrog314]
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 12 hours, 36 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2002 at 19:45 (GMT -5)

IIRC the only way to get rid of the debth to the merchant guild is to pay up...

However you get one "free" chance to steal stuff using invisibility in each shop (sometimes you can clean the place out, other times you are noticed the moment you set foot in the shop, pile all the good stuff near the door first to maximise your chances), and also attacking/killing the shopkeeper BEFORE you pick up anything won't give you any debth (for example shoot the shopkeepr and lure him away and teleport into the shop and help yourself).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
J.
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 04:40 (GMT -5)

Oh yeah, the invisibility thing is kinda nice. My human wiz was in the HMV and being chased by a stone giant. I made myself invisible, entered the shop and found a nice spellbook of magic missile. Not remembering the invisibility trick I picked it up thinking "I have plenty of money for this, but let's first check out his wares."

When I became visible again I stepped up to the shopkeeper and tried to pay for the spellbook - oh how I was pleasantly sorprised to find out I didn't owe a thing...
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5764 days, 22 hours, 49 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 05:51 (GMT -5)

Jan, thanks for the information about only getting one chance to steal stuff with invisibility per shop - I wondered why once a shopkeeper had noticed me, I could never sneak anything out again, even when I'd been away from the level for a while. Does having a high Stealth skill mean you're more likely to get away with lots of stuff?

Just remember not to steal anything before Yergius has taught you how to pick pockets, or he'll think you're a thief already.
Portrait
Akron
Registered user
Alcoholic

Last page view:

8073 days, 16 hours, 13 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2002 at 07:19 (GMT -5)

3. To my experience "very close" crowning happens when you have been precrowned before and your exp. level is lower than 8+ 3* number of artifacts generated in the game. I haven't been precrowned at "very close" but I've received several crownings at very close.

"Cruel Akron, bloody bastard I now spit on you. You can turn my bones to black ash but I will move the moon. I will light your evil kingdom and your heart will burn in flames. Mutilated or dismembered, we'll soon rise to eat your brains! -Warrior of Ice"
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

2 days, 12 hours, 36 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2002 at 19:16 (GMT -5)

Ekaterin: Stealth might help a little, but I think it's pretty much random.

Sometimes I can clean out the shop in the outlaw willage completely after quaffing a potion of invisibility as a level 1 char. Other times I get noticed the moment I step into the store... And as I said it only works once per shop (and be sure you become invisible outside the Shopkeepers line of sight (around a corner or someting))

It's at least risk free though, everyting you can grab before he notice you are yours, it is only slightly chaotic (about the same as using pick pocked once), it even count toward your thieves guild quota...

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: