Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Resurrect CthAngband!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

6164 days, 15 hours, 21 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 at 16:28 (GMT -5)

I have recently discovered Cthangband, an obscure version of Zangband, a roguelike which is based on Angband, which no doubt, many of you have played... it took me forever to find a proper zip of the most recent, non-beta version, 4.1.0, but I finally found it. :)

It is based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu series, and may be one of the only Horror roguelikes in existence... you can even play a vampire, zombie, skeleton, or golem (as well as many staples like elves, dwarves, hobbits, etc.)!

If you are interested in playing a "creature of the night", or many other exotic races in a roguelike game, go to:

http://www.thangorodrim.net/

Goto the sidebar on the left marked "variants" and choose "Older Variants". Click on the link in the main window marked "Cthulhu Angband - CthAngband". Scroll down and click on the link marked "MS-DOS (386 or better). Its a .ZIP file, to the tune of 1187 kb.

The problem is, it seems the author has abandoned the project (I am going to send him an email and find out for sure), since it hasn't been updated since 2002. The game still has incomplete help files, and I am sure many bugs. There is a roguelike based on this game called sCthAngband, that is more currently updated, but IMO they have gone to great lengths to make the game easier - that doesnt make much sense in the Horror Fantasy genre (nobody likes a lame sequel :P).

I believe we should rally to resurrect this game (no pun intended). Let us have a poll! Input is welcome too! I am seeking desperately for people who know this game well enough to compile some info to be edited into a guidebook (something I would be happy to organize, myself). Please respond, o ye fellow roguelike fanatics!
--<>||<>--

Resurrect CthAngband?
Yes  No
Check results

Anonymous Coward
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2016 at 22:24 (GMT -5)

Need a new download, old one broke

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: