Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / questions on rings

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

corruptor
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 at 00:49 (GMT -5)

My charactar is going for an ultra, needs a RODS or an AOL. He found an ordinary ring in the ID, just to find out it was a ring of of fire. What other names names might a RODS go under
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3753 days, 14 hours, 40 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 at 01:41 (GMT -5)

Literally, any name. Just ID every ring you find; by now, most rings should have been identified.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5763 days, 11 hours, 31 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 at 04:22 (GMT -5)

Actually, I think there are only a few possibilities.

• Ordinary ring
  • Adamantium ring
  • Onyx ring
  • Opal ring

The reason has to do with the material that different rings are made of. A specific type of magical ring will be the same material in every game - for example, RoDS is always adamantium. I have a theory that a ring of the same unidentified appearance will also be the same material in every game. For example, a ring described as an "adamantium ring" is always made of adamantium, and so are ordinary rings, onyx rings and opal rings, but no other rings.

Similarly, a mithril ring is always a ring of ice because rings of ice are the only rings made of mithril.
corruptor
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 at 06:36 (GMT -5)

I just found the RODS in the rift-it was Adamantium. Since it's Admantium can it be destroyed by fire? I'm about to go into the sinister library and am concerned an ancient Red dragon might be able to destroy it. I won't use yet because I know AOLS can be desroyed. Man what it takes to get an ultra ending six hours to find that! lvl 23 human wizard.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5763 days, 11 hours, 31 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 at 06:57 (GMT -5)

No, it can't be destroyed by fire, but it might be destroyed by acid. To keep it completely safe, wear it under the elemental gauntlets. Rings can't be destroyed until the gloves over them are destroyed, and artifacts can't be destroyed.

(AoLS, being iron, is much more vulnerable than RoDS.)
Ashandarei
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

By the way, where is the most likely place to find either one. I've lost too many wannabe ultra-endings because I couldn't find AoLS to save Khelavaster. Please send here every little trick you might know, including chaos roulette.
corruptor
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 at 01:17 (GMT -5)

To get one of those isn't easy- explore every possible place in the game- the TOEF, the Rift, the Tomb of the high Kings. Drain all pools in the game including the ones in the darkfoge- but be carefull as they can do nasty things to you- if you get doomed drinking from a pool, get it removed from your diety as you cannot get a wish while doomed. Other ideas- dip your worthless rings/ Amulets in blessed !exchange. You can try potions of Raw Chaos, but you could spill the potion taking heavy corruption- I think four corruptions and 250 damage. One more idea- use a wand of trp creation in the Dwarven Hall until you get water traps, have a fluff ball ready, dip it in a potion of water and kill them by the thousands until you get the ring or Amulet- but be carefull- they can get tough after 2000 or so and the Dwarven Hall corrpution rate is very high and can generate the nastiest monsters in the game, but you can find lots of great items and gold with this trick.
Marillion
Registered user
Twinmaster

Last page view:

357 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

That thing aboute you cannot get a wish while doomed must be a myth...
I've had it happened I am most sure...
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 at 15:49 (GMT -5)

Here's a variation on the gremlin-scumming trick mentioned by Corruptor:

The dwarven graveyard's surface level is completely non-corrupting, and has a fairly high danger level, so eternium and wish items can be generated there. The only trouble is making a water trap there.

Wands of trap creation don't work on grass, but there's another little known way of making traps, which is: Dig a hole, and "U"se any blanket while standing on it. Theoretically, this would only make covered pit traps, but it can actually make any type. I always keep all the plain blankets I find early on for this very purpose.

Make the water traps near the entrance to the middle building. This way you can't get surrounded by gremlins. And, pickpocket and kill each gremlin, wish items and AoLS's can be pickpocketed.
Marillion *drunk*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 at 18:54 (GMT -5)

I actually practiced this trick in later games..
MUCH more reardin than ID:9 scumming...
Really recommend it!
Marillion *drunk*
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 at 18:56 (GMT -5)

I've, and rewarding was the word I was looking for..
I think I can blame tha fact that i've done aboute 12 bears this evening..
Chears mates! =)
Stratch one
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 05:16 (GMT -5)

I didn't tried it, but maybe if you don't have Scrolls of id, then 'U'se every ring thats unID-d. Then you may get it.
Djinni
Registered user
don't rub MY ring

Last page view:

7060 days, 18 hours, 2 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 18:32 (GMT -5)

just make sure the ring is *blessed* before you try that ;)
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5192 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 01:42 (GMT -5)

"That thing aboute you cannot get a wish while doomed must be a myth...
I've had it happened I am most sure..."

Not a myth. You must not have been doomed; it's obvious in the code that you cannot get a wish from a pool while doomed. You have about a 1% chance to get a wish (1 in 104).
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4936 days, 11 hours, 35 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 04:58 (GMT -5)

Well, what is the chance to get a wish if you are Lucky, Fate smiles upon you and you are wearing Ankh? That is how I usually drink pools.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5139 days, 11 hours, 50 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 09:39 (GMT -5)

About making gremlin traps:
" have a fluff ball ready, dip it in a potion of water "
- to avoid wasting a potion of water, just wield a fluff ball and trigger the water trap (crtl-t).
Remove rustable items first.

Pretty useless trick, since youll get enough water using gremlin trick
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6506 days, 35 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 12:01 (GMT -5)

does anyone know if there's any truth in the rumour that drinking from pools the same colour as your eyes is better?
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5192 days, 12 hours, 52 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

"Well, what is the chance to get a wish if you are Lucky, Fate smiles upon you and you are wearing Ankh? That is how I usually drink pools."

No additional effect whatsoever. It physically checks if you are doomed; it doesn't actually check luck at all.

"does anyone know if there's any truth in the rumour that drinking from pools the same colour as your eyes is better?"

I'm fairly certain this is false. I saw nothing like that when I was gathering all the exact pool effects... which I made a chart of btw, if anyone is interested. The guidebook is fairly accurate here, but there are a few differences.
http://adom.falldowngoboom.org/pools.html

I'll also note Ekaterin's theory of the un-IDed names is very interesting and it would make a lot of sense. I had definately noticed that they weren't completely random, but wasn't sure what restrictions they might have.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: