Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / just complaints and stuff

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 at 16:03 (GMT -5)

adom pisses me off sometimes... Like for example how it's a pain in the ass for me to get a character even into the CoC, let alone down to Dwarftown. Even when I get precrowned (something I've been doing a lot lately, where possible -- it does help, when I don't get something like the BToA as a fighter) somehow it never helps. Recently I made a wizard who was looking half-way decent; he got a power surge on DD:3 and was killed by the guardian of Whirlwind.
The damn game hates me, and I can't maintain the patience with it to play much, and I tend to lose my focus and concentration when I do because I get bored. Plus I'm sick of all the classes... Wizards are boring and cheap, Fighters are boring and mediocre, and the other classes are varying versions of the same. I suppose I could play super-carefully but that takes even more of the fun out of it, for me anyway.
Reverend PrOHna
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 at 18:41 (GMT -5)

take a break and watch alot of Lord of The Rings. Youll wanna play more after awhile.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3870 days, 20 hours, 22 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 02:17 (GMT -5)

Try a beastfighter, I find them quite easy to play.

BTW, ADoM hates everyone
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4911 days, 3 hours, 46 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 03:59 (GMT -5)

Try a gray/high elven archer, they are pretty easy.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
illumi
Registered user
The 1st child

Last page view:

7069 days, 10 hours, 22 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

Try bard ... utterly convenient =)
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6480 days, 16 hours, 46 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 16:16 (GMT -5)

beh, just keep experimenting with classes, you'll find one you really like eventually. Try barbarians, they're cool fun. besides, sooner or later you'll get one of those 'blessed games' where you just can't move for tripping over worn boots and steel amulets :)
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5635 days, 10 hours, 10 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

Hehehe. i only recognize a couple of your names... Morio and Illumi. Geuss i've been gone a while...

anyway...

yeah, i've tried archers, they're fun, but just shooting everything dead in one hit gets tiring after a while. Or i lose my bow, or run out of ammo, or some other such stupidity happens, like I get trapped between a tension room of vorticies and a vault of Ogre Mages. Or some other retarted luck thing.

Beastfighters... I never did like beastfighters. Considering very few of my characters make it to level 12 or beyond, and poison resistance is comparatively easy to get if you have food preservation, their level 6 class power is next to useless for me. Plus since they have healing, I take the DD... and I finish the DD like once in twenty games. (by finish I mean I go down to level 7 and make it back up in one piece; I've only ever actually killed Keethrax, first time or a later time, maybe three or four times) As for bards: I hate 'em. I bloody hate the bastards. Them and merchants, although merchants I hate less because they can sometimes hold their own in a fight. But bards... *shudder* I once made a hurthling bard who started with 2 ST. He died on like level 1 of the VD. And then barbarians. I don't mind them, although I do like to be able to read. Still... barbarians aren't bad, I guess.

I've never had what you call a 'blessed' game. In ... 3 years? 4 years? of playing ADOM I have found 2 pairs of worn boots, 1 AoLS, and had 3 surges of power -- Whirlwind (didn't get it), Ironfist (got it, it was very useful), and Scorched Spear (got it and then died like three levels deeper).

Honestly, I don't see how anyone beats this game, unless they have like seven times my patience and caution. Or luck. I mean... damnit. Have any of you beaten the game yet? If you have I hate you... :P
ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 18:43 (GMT -5)

what kinds of things do you generally get killed by?
duke ravage
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

Lots of things. Just a few minutes ago I had a lv 6 HE palidin get killed by a stone block. Usually it isn't traps though. Just monsters, of various assorted types. In the DD usually it's around DD5 or 6 that somethin comes along and whomps on me.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 at 17:47 (GMT -5)

You're probably just going too quickly then. If you see a monster you probably can't handle, run away, kill some more stuff, gain a level, heal up, find some new items etc, then go back and kill it.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4871 days, 11 hours, 5 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 at 14:09 (GMT -5)

Try trollish monks. It sounds stupid, but I had a lvl. 1 doing +9 1d9 +9 or some such. They also only need as much food as normal people, because of the monk half and troll double thing. And they have literacy.Granted, they still have the slow level up problem, but the ID can handle that...
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 02:32 (GMT -5)

here is a tip, turn ADOM off for a bit, go try Myst 4, or go back to the older Ultima's..., <5 is my favorite> but 1-3 are fun> then come back and enjoy the <COUGH,HACK,CHOKE> relative simplicity on a Roguelike game, if that doesnt work, ill send a copy (its freeware now) of the ORIGINAL Rouge, and you can contemplate evolution <took me 13 yrs to legitimately beat it >. Untill you have tried all of those... NO complaints, get a job at the AIRPORT........
Come PLANE, COME PLANE...yah
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4928 days, 8 hours, 30 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 11:14 (GMT -5)

OR, fall in love. It makes all those small things seem so, well, small.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Zephyr
Registered user
Solar

Last page view:

4871 days, 11 hours, 5 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 at 12:47 (GMT -5)

Nice advice Sargoth. I don't think it's that easy...

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4928 days, 8 hours, 30 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 at 15:25 (GMT -5)

It's that easy. And when it wears off, you will have a completely diffrent perspective on things.
http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 at 16:33 (GMT -5)

i guess im lucky, my is a CIV junkie <so am i>
but she allows my ADOM fetish....she has even tried learning the game.... hmmmm we will see
Jarl Wolfbane
Registered user
The Irish Assassin

Last page view:

6939 days, 23 hours, 42 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 at 23:25 (GMT -5)

What happens when you get dumped? I personally have noticed an almost insane predilection for orcish and trollish berserkers in the wake of a crushing rejection, followed by elven bards...

I don't want to hear any complaints about bad luck. My upper limit for levels is 13. Not counting the si, I've gotten maybe two artifacts, one of them a precrowning gift. I can never seem to get a weaponsmith and his gear to meet up with a forge, no matter how hard I try, but all my non-smithy characters trip over forges like mad.

I did get a hurthling mindcrafter to level 12 the other day though, before he fell prey to a room full of dark elven lords. <shudder>
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 09, 2004 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

Jarl: try the UD. i often seem to find forges there.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: