Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / World of Warcraft

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Reverend PrOHna
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 at 20:12 (GMT -5)

anyone ever played it?

what is it? any good?
NinjaVitis2
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

I didn't like it very much.

It's very very simple. The warrior goes gather's aggro, the ppl who do damage do damage, the healers heal. Wash rince and repeat.

You're never really shocked, or surprised, or disappointed. Death is only a minor setback. Enemies have limited intelligence and few tricks (they either simply attack you, or attack you at range basically. Some can heal).

All the quests are "talk to the quest giver then kill some monsters" or "search some barrels by some monsters". Sometimes you have to team up inorder to kill the monsters.

It just... didn't excite me. Not enough for $13 USD a month (and you have to buy 6 months inorder for it to be $13).

Though that's just my opinion. I only played 2 characters to lvl 20 before I quit and it was my first MMORPG ever.

Other people I know say it's the best MMORPG they've ever seen.

I do enjoy how the economy works. With the trade skills and manufactoring potions/weapons/armour. That is fun.

Maybe it gets better at higher levels. It didn't take me very long to get to 20. And I only played casually.
Portrait
Reverend PrOHna
Registered user
Church of The Subgenius

Last page view:

6970 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 at 13:45 (GMT -5)

i was just glancing at it. ive been looking at crossfire alot too. but i dont know if i want to used the hd space for it. plus id have to get some other stuff for this computer. it being linux and not up to date.
“We're all bozos on this bus, but at least our bus isn't driving over a cliff.”
- Pope Charles, SubGenius Pope of Houston

[] Praise "Bob"! []
[]http://www.subgenius.com[]
[] Slack OFF! []

SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4739 days, 7 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2007 at 20:52 (GMT -5)

My girlfriend plays WoW excessively...I'm trying to push ADOM on her but she likes the multiplayer/nicer graphics aspect of it all. I'm not especially impressed by it, I guess I'm too big a fan of turn-based combat.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 4 hours, 36 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 05:41 (GMT -5)

For MMORPGs Guild Wars is the only decent game I've played due to its emphasis on tactical play (20 is the maximum level, so you can't just grind to get better). Of course it still contains the main flaw I hate in that sort of game: other people.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Nchurmdaz
Registered user
Goblin flash mobber

Last page view:

5981 days, 19 hours, 13 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

Darren Grey, I suppose our (your and mine) favourite game is "Postal".
Ubi patria ibi bene!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4233 days, 4 hours, 36 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 08:26 (GMT -5)

Actually I've never liked FPSes. Also, it's not that I hate other people, it's that I usually find them incompetent to play with (and in MMORPGs people especially tend to be idiots, or arrogant twats). I enjoyed Guild Wars up until the point that it became too hard to rely on the NPCs you can hire and you can't progress without grouping.

My favourite game is of course ADOM :)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5821 days, 53 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

Postal? OMG, that's the worst game in the world. Including its expansion.
World of Warcraft, however, is simply something I don't like-what's the enjoyment?
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5438 days, 21 hours, 36 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007 at 13:23 (GMT -5)

World of Warcraft... iffy. I can quite honestly say I have played it fully. I have played every class, gotten one to 60, done instances, PvP. And I used to like it, but now.... not so much. Combat is very easy, no real challenge. PvP isn't so much as hard as finding a good set of items, but is quite enjoyable. Overall it is much easier then ADOM as you don't really have to think, just do math to find out which does the most damage. I have got to say, I like ADOM better and have even when I have WoW stopped playing it to play other things. It also has some nice features (econ., proffesions, battlegrounds,etc). Postal, never heard of it. And yes, other people are very annoying. With ADOM you never see other people going "OMG Chuck Norris FTW!!! 1 0wn j00!! n00b!". Plus, in ADOM you only get killed by your mistakes, never others.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1219 days, 16 hours, 43 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 17:32 (GMT -5)

World of warcraft depends entirely upon the people you play with. Guild support isn't too great in the game, so it takes a few people who really want to keep things running smoothly to get your group farther.

level 1-59 you can pretty much solo. This can be a good or a bad thing.

Good because you don't need to bother with other people, you can play at your schedule, etc.

Bad because you wont be used to grouping, and how to play your class in a group if and when you do decide to do end game content. Whether that be the level 60 5-10 groups, or the larger raids.

That being said, i used to play World of Warcraft. I now play EVE online. Whee, space combat
SirMason
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 14:37 (GMT -5)

Cat Lord Lord, your newbie impression was gold. ADOM is just so much cooler than WoW. It's free, no annoying people to contend with, and the game doesn't lag when you're fighting 50 spiders, 60 jackals and 140 giant rats all at once.

Not to mention that ADOM hasn't been plagued by pop culture yet. You won't find some snot-nosed slave of Hot Topic wearing an ADOM tshirt.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/7/2007 at 14:39 (GMT -5) by SirMason]
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3593 days, 6 hours, 58 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 at 17:14 (GMT -5)

"the game doesn't lag when you're fighting 50 spiders, 60 jackals and 140 giant rats all at once."

So true :) I've only played WoW for a week. I played a dwarven paladin and advanced to lv 16, I quit after that. The game was ok, I guess, but it doesn't charm me like ADOM does. Or StarFury. If you're into space combat that isn't turn-based, try StarFury, a cool 3D game.
For the Horde!
Silfir
Registered user
Writer of Overly Long Guides

Last page view:

4062 days, 5 hours, 18 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 at 12:51 (GMT -5)

I once played WoW (A single character until level 6 or so) at a friend's place. The newness made it quite enjoyable, and it was nice to look at. I can't deliver any sort of judgment, however. All online games have h4xx0rs in abundance, though... I never got truly engaged in playing any of them, even though I once reached level 10 in the WC3 ladder. I could possibly have ascended further, but lost interest. Too many "When I m ud u lose noob"-players.
You drop the golden ball.
You kick the golden ball. It slides to the west.
Suddenly Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, appears! "That's not how you play Quidditch! are you even listening?"
Which direction? (123456789) 4
Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is hit by a bolt of acid! Harry Potter, the apprentice wizard, is annihilated.
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
SirMason
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 at 17:28 (GMT -5)

I agree. All them h4xx0r5 make MMORPGs and such quite unenjoyable. And the only things I would willingly attach the label "1337" to would be Andor Drakon and the Ancient Chaos Wyrm.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5650 days, 18 hours, 39 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 at 23:59 (GMT -5)

WoW? Meh. Go play EvE Online if you want depth. I've played it for over a year and I havn't even scratched the surface of things you can do...I gave up WoW after less than a month, it offensive they expect you to pay a monthly fee for a static world, it's just a glorified version of Diablo. And then have the absolute cheek to CHARGE MONEY FOR EXPANSION PACKS! WTF? I'M PAYING YOU A SUBSCRPTION FEE ALREADY! EVE has had quite a few massive expansions, all free. Another big addition of content is being deployed right now.

One thing about EvE that is hard to convey is the social aspect. The awesome videos ( I implore you to check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwY1CgNp1fk )only show ships blowing crap out of each other (cool enough, no?) but there is a lot more to it than that. Oh and it has the best PvP in any MMO ever. It ain't about having the best equipment and most EXP. The permadeath of your ships (not your char, phew!) gives every PvP encounter an adrenaline rush like no other game. You ain;t lived until you've been in a 200+ ships fleet encounter that will decide tha fate of a two month war, or been chased across six systems by an unknown enemy in a crappy frigate carrying prescious cargo...or...crap, you get the idea...

Jeez I'm ranting, but EvE isn't for everyone. ADOM fans, I think, have the nessecary intelligence and patience to 'get' EvE, so check out the free trail and search for me 'HenDar XXIII' ingame.
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3593 days, 6 hours, 58 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 at 20:29 (GMT -5)

Eve sounds awesome... I've been wanting to try it for a long time now.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5650 days, 18 hours, 39 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 at 15:06 (GMT -5)

Check out the free trial man. You don't need to give a creditcard number or nothing. I got a link to it here www.myspace.com/hendar23 cos I'm such a fanboy :)

Search for my avatar ingame "HenDar XXIII" and I'll give you tips n stuff.

Fly safe!
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4592 days, 18 hours, 41 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

I played WOW for over a year, casually. While the PVE (player vs environment, you know the AI and all) is passable in a big, pretty world to explore, that part gets old by the time you make your second or third character.

My favortie part of the game, hands down, was PVP (Player vs Player). You can do it out in the world, jumping people randomly, or participate in big clashes. Then there are battlegrounds, instanced (separate from the rest of the world with a set number of players allowed) areas where you need teamwork and good communication to win with your team. The faction vs faction hatred (Horde vs Alliance) is great, you really come to loathe your opponents and seek them out on the battlefield to take vengeance. The team based battles and depth of strategy, the combat, it's great, I loved it.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Chaoxic Yum
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 03:36 (GMT -5)

forgot my password and log in name.
again.

any way, any one here that plays should jump on frostmoune server with me

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: