Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Grod

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

corruptor
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 at 00:55 (GMT -5)

Just had a dark elf barbarian get crowned with it. I know everything about it. Right now I'm going in the TOEF, so it provides fire immunity, but I was crowned with fire immunity and have ring of ice so no problem there. I have an eternium scimitar of devistation and a tower crystal sheild also. My first time with grod, so is it good enough to weild through the rest of the game but two handed without sheild, or use the scimitar? Grod does better with base damage and critical hit, but the sword+ sheild better defence. What is the dv bonus for grandmastery in two handed weapons combat? Would anyone suggest grod or the sword and sheild? Need opinions.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 at 03:19 (GMT -5)

I prefer to play cautiously, so I would go with scimitar + shield. Grod will definately take out monsters quicker - especially as you improve your twohanded weapons ability. My biggest concern about Grod, however, is its -8 to DV and the fact that even grandmastery in twohanded weapons does not give a great DV bonus (grandmastery = +8 DV). While taking damage may not be a huge concern for a barbarian, corruption will be - and you can expect to receive a LOT more corrupting hits while wielding Grod. The irony is that Grod slays demons but, personally, I wouldn't take the chance - stash Grod when fighting demons (or anything else inflicting corruption attacks) in favour of scimitar + shield.
Portrait
Alex
Registered user
Master Necromancer

Last page view:

6507 days, 22 hours, 45 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 at 05:24 (GMT -5)

I disagree. With Grod's 5d10+5 base damage, and critical hits every time, you'll kill fire demons in one or maybe two hits. The scimitar will take four or five hits to kill. In that time you'll get hit more times than with Grod, regardless of DV.
What do you wish for? wands of cat repellent_
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7040 days, 8 hours, 11 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 20, 2004 at 06:44 (GMT -5)

and which weapon is cooler?
a wussy scimitar or the MIGHTY GROD? :D
I would go with Grod without hesitating ;)
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor
Ashandarei
Registered user
Spearmaster

Last page view:

4938 days, 9 hours, 46 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 at 11:35 (GMT -5)

Me too, although I basically prefer higher DV.
The rust monster touches your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster. Nothing happens. You laugh at the monster's pitiful attempt.
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, November 21, 2004 at 17:29 (GMT -5)

im on the defensive side, bless the shield, call it good, but ADOM is cruel, defense is best,IMHO
after 6 yrs of playing, ive won twice <not cheating> and my good wins were both with wizzes and super shields...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3116 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 at 10:12 (GMT -5)

Grod is practicly MADE for doing the ToEF.Apart from doing massive damage(which is less then your eternium scimitar of devistation... my god, where did you get one of those? Will I get one for Chistmas? Pleeeeease... ;P ) and granting fire immunity (which you already have), it slays giants and demons. And what do you find in the ToEF? Fire: grues, elementals, giants, demons, giant kings.
The only thing it doesn't slay is the fire elementals. But it critical hits, and that combines with your find weakness skill. In effect granting you slaying properties for everything, most of the time anyway. Find the Braces of War and you'll have a better weapon then Vanquisher.
My advice - use Grod, but keep the sword&shield. If you find out that you are being hit too much, equip the shield and scimitar.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/23/2004 at 10:15 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Portrait
eppztr
Registered user
droog

Last page view:

7040 days, 8 hours, 11 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

heh. just found Grod with my current character in a Greater Vault with fire creatures :) Once I've won the game (we'll see about that;) I'll train my twohanded weapon skill up a bit and try it out (I'm a wizard so it's not really useful too me).

This game I've found 3 greater vaults, but 2 of them are undead, so i have to get som high effective ball spells and loots of willpower before trying those out :)

Edit: sorry if it's a bit off topic .. :)
the greater moloch equips the hulking armor

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/24/2004 at 13:30 (GMT -5) by eppztr]
raven 1
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 06:12 (GMT -5)

use the shield... IMHO the ToEF is not the time to be agressive or greedy, id rather block most hits than trade w/ Fire Giant Kings, or whatever such fodder... Grod is great, but, 1 stunning hit and your gone...defend and hack....let us know how it goes and what you do...
raven1
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 06:16 (GMT -5)

btw I still say luck is the most important factor in ADOM, BLESS EVERYTHING, <rustproofing is obviously not needed> wear the blessed Anhk, and 'GO FAST' <theme from 'Skydive The Rockies'>
dont forget "foo" ammo for the W and other irritating fodder in the way...
Phibby&Dol
Registered user
Incarnation of Illu

Last page view:

6992 days, 6 hours, 7 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 10:39 (GMT -5)

Why GO FAST?
Some guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 25, 2004 at 19:47 (GMT -5)

Blessing all your equipment really isn't necessary, though blessing your body armor couldn't hurt, since that's what's most likely to be damaged. And for me, blessed stuff seems to get destroyed just as often.

Here's a story about my current character... I happened to find some blessed gauntlets of strength +5, and rustproofed them for safety. Some time later, I found a room full of giant rust monsters or some such. I knew my gaunts were safe, and was enjoying the pathetic attempts to rust my stuff, when I see something like this:

"The giant rust monster punches through your armor and hits you. Your blessed rustproof gauntlets of strength *yada yada* are destroyed!"

That must have been one determined rust monster.
Phibby&Dol
Registered user
Incarnation of Illu

Last page view:

6992 days, 6 hours, 7 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 at 01:39 (GMT -5)

wow @ rust monster

Fire giant kings cannot fight in dark. So get near to them real fast, cast Darkness (or scroll of darkness), and whack --> they die

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: